• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is going to be a weird post-

mramunds

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Okay, this is a part pitch-a-bitch, part conspiracy theory, part questionaire for the masses-

Where are all the NON RT, standard duty, 318 or 226 equipped B bodies at? Why don't we have the 70,000 1971 non Roadrunner Satellites that were made (just happens to be the car I''m hunting)? Why, when I go looking, I can find 25 1971 Roadrunners, but only 1 standard Satellite (priced at a aneurism inducing $32,000). Why cant we find standard Mopars, like Pontiac guys can grab a cheap Lemans, or Olds guys can grab a Cutlass instead of a 442- where did 70,000 unibodies got to? Was there a concentrated effort to create a shortage, did they just rust away faster than GM or Ford products? It has to be something- they cant of just all been destroyed just based on chance. I know Freiburger has got like a 12 pack of these, along with a half dozen donors, but that still leaves like more than 60K Satellites, ****, they're harder to find than every single girl I ever made out with ( Thanks, Facebook!)

Oh where, Oh where has my Sebring gone,
Oh where, Oh where can it beeeee....

Sold that damn thing for $400 in 1978 (yes, the amount of money I can spend ON MYSELF at a middle of the road sushi restaurant in one evening nowadays..)

I'm not asking for a Hemi GTX,or an A10, or convertable Cuda - just what was once a $2700 middle of the road coupe 53 years ago, then got...uprated a little

646 CKV CAROL CROP1.jpeg

646CKV MARK CROP1.jpeg

They're all around you! Look at all the foreign car bodies. Recycling! (I don't like it either).
Mike

But why is it Mopars are so damn difficult to find? Lets be real, for every single owned Mopar, there are still 5 guys with big block Chevelle SS's running around. And if you cant afford the fake SS, you can just keep marching down the GM product line in the same body. They are F%^&*^king everywhere!! Its worse than back in the 70's, when we were paying $1.40 for every $1 the Chevy guys paid for rev ups. Its damn ridiculous - I watched that video from the guy looking for his Hemi GTX video, and felt disgusted at the portrayed collector. He's got like 40 hanger queens just slowly rotting away. No wonder I can't feel like Im in high school again - some rich kid who got to go to college, screw over people like me his whole life, and even now in his paunchy retirement couldn't fix that car if it went through a sizable puddle, has decided his dick won't measure up unless he's got 5 of everything. Screw it, Im watching tv now - Im too depressed...

It is a numbers game. There were far more GM and Ford cars built so more of them are still around.
Oh, and playing a victim won't gain you many points. You never had to be rich to go to college and college never guaranteed you a future.
Your future was always up to you, man.
Welcome to the forum.

"You never had to be rich to go to college"

Sounds like someone who didn't go to work at 14 to pay rent to his Mom- just how old are you? When we were actually driving these cars to go to work, yes, you had to be "rich" to go to college. Unless, of course, you got really good at something essential, like bouncing a ball. Or calculus.

I'm not a victim, and I planned my future just fine, thanks. Sometimes God just picks you to be one of his special people. I imagine it's nothing personal. But if you're trying to defend someone grabbing a large percentage of any commodity, then sitting on top of the pile pissing on it to show how bitching he is, well, that's why I stopped trying to participate in this "sport".

A lot of reasons mopars are hard to find. The gas crisises, 3 that I remember, the buy back plan and of course Mopars rusted out faster than GM & Ford. In the mid 80's looking for a clean Mopar was very difficult. Gas went from .30 to $1.00 a gallon, talk about sticker shock with the gas prices shooting up like that and of course the gas lines that were blocks long. With a 50 mile trip to work one way, I had to buy a more economical car, hence my 80 Honda Civic rated at 39 MPG. That Honda had 205,000 miles when I stopped driving it, had original clutch, timing belt, and fan belt. The only thing I changed was the water pump at 100,000 because if engine overheated it was gone. That car sold me on Honda's. And that car was ordered in Feb. of 80 and came in July of that year. To me 71's looked very bulky and heavier than previous year B bodies. By the way in 84 I actually found a 71 Cuda that was very clean with only 39,000 miles on it. Hard to believe I've owned it 40 years.

You don't have to tell me about it - I'm looking at the end, and can see it even with my shitty vision. I agree completely about a college education should be earned and used, not just received. And in my day, only about 25% of the population went to college - the rest went to work, like always. I was one of the people pumping that gas when it went from $.25 to $.50 to $1.00. When we had people pulling up to the pump and pulling sawed-offs to get gas on an off day, when you just couldn't buy it ANYWHERE legally. But at least we had great cars. I went from a being pump jockey, to a mechanic, then I went into the Navy to learn computer and electronics repair from the best training in the world at the time. Then network engineering and administration. I just never got lucky(or dedicated) enough to set aside emough money and have it ready just in case I found what I was looking for. And then God re-entered, and it went a little old Testament for a while. But hey, I got 2 new hips, and I'm ready ro party. I've got plenty of other hobbies. Just don't ask us old farts to balance the carbs on your tri power if you don't know how- I'm afraid that's a $10,000 job nowadays if you ask me...and I'll need that up front. You know-like a dentist or a lawyer...

Just thought of something - I'm at a point in my life, where I can say I'd give my left nut for one of these cars, and it'd be true. I mean, I can drive the car, like, everywhere! My left nut, on the other hand...

Picked this one up 2 months ago. 318/auto. 30k miles. Original paint and interior.

A1275D8A-8211-4DD9-B360-6FBEF28A0D80.jpeg

Out here in CA, the only 71 B bodies we see are Roadrunners and Chargers. RR and Chargers aplenty, 73 and 74 RR aplenty, even 73 and 74 Satellites a few. But my HS car? None to be had. Freiburger and friends have at least 6, but then again they drive the **** out of them regularly. I just want to burn some rubber, smell some high octane gasoline (they gave Ethyl a different perfume AND color back then- it smelled wonderful)
and dream about a girl, I used to know

They are around. A friend has kept his family car alive. His mom picked it out off the showroom floor. He drives it on nice summer days.

Travis.jpg

rust away
Growing up in Pennsylvania they all turned to dust 40+ years ago.
I have off and on been looking for a nice 71 Coronet 4 door with a 225 for years.
I have found junk but try to find a nice one. I ended up with a one owner 72 Dart Swinger.
Not what I really wanted just tired of looking.
Good solid car but needs the body gone over because of dings and dents and the vinyl top is toast.
Most of the time you find what you want after you bought something else.

They were everywhere up until they started getting over 10 years old. Then the fenders, doors, trunklids got plucked and the rusty and dented unibodies got crushed. GTX's and R.R's got the rust fixed, dents pulled and the worn out 120,000 mile engines rebuilt. The 318 cars usually got nursed along until they were too rusty or the engines wore out. Then they were deemed not worth fixing. Unfortunately.

Many (most?) of us on here find a beat up rusted hulk and restore them ourselves. In the end you have something you can really be proud of. It is the "rich college kids" that look for one they can just "buy" and drive.

I have several, check my sig.

I also have a 71 RP23G....but it's so ridiculously rusty it's barely a parts car.

They are out there.

What's your budget?

They're out there but you might need to scour facebook marketplace daily and get to it before someone else if it's a good deal. I saw one pop up a couple hours drive from me. I was going to ask my buddy to go take a look since he lived close but by the time he was off work it was already gone. I'm guessing another one of the b body reprobates on the site got to it before it did.

Many (most?) of us on here find a beat up rusted hulk and restore them ourselves.
True, After doing it for 50 years my body will disagree.
We will see when the Dart gets here. Maybe it will spark and light a fire under my ***.

Auto Transport Service
Back