• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is going to be a weird post-

I had a decent Texas 72 Satellite project car listed on here for over six months for 8 grand,with no takers. I finally sold it locally on Craigslist.

You can do what I did about 5-6 years ago. I got on Craigslist about 3 times a week and just punched in what I was looking for and did in every state. Took about 3 months, but I found (and bought) my 68 Satellite convertible.

But why is it Mopars are so damn difficult to find? Lets be real, for every single owned Mopar, there are still 5 guys with big block Chevelle SS's running around.

Pretty basic stuff.

1969 Charger Production 89,000.
1969 Camaro production 243,000.
1969 Mustang production 300,000.

And the reason you can't find and /6 and 318 B-bodies is because I parted most of them out.

SearchTempest allows a mile radius for craigslist results.

WAY easier than searching every nearby city.

These cars are out there. It can and is frustrating to find what your looking for. Eyes and ears open will prevail. Between 1974 and 1982, these cars where unwanted as a whole. Even the high dollar ones of today. I know a person who bought one of these cars for $20 bucks back in the late 70's. I now own a all original 1968 Black/Strip delete Hemi Charger that I bought back in 2000 for $15,000 cash. 24 years later and you can add a zero +. Point is, I was just very patient and had the cash ready for when the opportunity manifested itself. Luck has nothing to do with it. If you do not buy a $1 lottery ticket, how can you possibly win? The ticket has to be purchased and printed somehow or somewhere. Even if you find one in the parking lot. The diamond in the ruff is waiting for you. Just not yet.

You cannot find one because you are looking for one and you have an expectation of what it should be worth. Unfortunately the remaining cars are now valuable and command higher prices than you are used to. As has been stated many times in this thread those cars are available, but you have to be willing to pay for them. The days of a mere satellite costing a fraction of what a roadrunner would are gone since everyone has figured out that they are basically the same car.

The Road Runners and GTX's were worth more than a /6 or 318 car, so, they got fixed......mostly by using the 225/318 cars as the parts source. Most of those low price line cars have been crushed by now.

Okay, this is a part pitch-a-bitch, part conspiracy theory, part questionaire for the masses-

Where are all the NON RT, standard duty, 318 or 226 equipped B bodies at? Why don't we have the 70,000 1971 non Roadrunner Satellites that were made (just happens to be the car I''m hunting)? Why, when I go looking, I can find 25 1971 Roadrunners, but only 1 standard Satellite (priced at a aneurism inducing $32,000). Why cant we find standard Mopars, like Pontiac guys can grab a cheap Lemans, or Olds guys can grab a Cutlass instead of a 442- where did 70,000 unibodies got to? Was there a concentrated effort to create a shortage, did they just rust away faster than GM or Ford products? It has to be something- they cant of just all been destroyed just based on chance. I know Freiburger has got like a 12 pack of these, along with a half dozen donors, but that still leaves like more than 60K Satellites, ****, they're harder to find than every single girl I ever made out with ( Thanks, Facebook!)

Oh where, Oh where has my Sebring gone,
Oh where, Oh where can it beeeee....

Sold that damn thing for $400 in 1978 (yes, the amount of money I can spend ON MYSELF at a middle of the road sushi restaurant in one evening nowadays..)

I'm not asking for a Hemi GTX,or an A10, or convertable Cuda - just what was once a $2700 middle of the road coupe 53 years ago, then got...uprated a little
Grab it before it's gone!

1722120210661.png

R/T, GTX
Bee, RR

Still command at least double what a comparable

Coronet, Satellite or Belvedere will bring in fair market conditions.

...but all are about double to triple what they were about 5 years ago.

Post above is extreme and better be a 95 point car...although it looks like it could be at first glance.
You can find them for half of that in good to very good condition if you look enough.

$13,995

hc=j39Pi8ONwgcQ7kNvgEaJ4LA&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio3-1.jpg

Its all Math production numbers and the fact in 1987 are you going to do all thats required to rebuild a 318 car of spend $ and time on a big block car
The 318 car driven by a family man in early to mid 70s were traded sold then when it was time sent to yards for parts tearing them down to restore a R/T or big block car
These cars didnt sell for any real money in late 70s and early 80s I bought my 69 R/T charger for $1400.00 it ran and drove just needed some TLC and a paint job in 1983 spent about $3000.00 on tune up tires and paint with the new inspection and drove it down the road LMAO yup im an old fart

$14k for that gold SSP, that's as good as you can hope for. I think, nothing wrong with that.

$14k for that gold SSP, that's as good as you can hope for. I think, nothing wrong with that.

Needs a little work especially to the top, and if it were me, I'd just delete the rust causing vinyl top while I was at it.

Buckets and arm rest.
Rallye clock (place holder for tach).
AC.

1722201272485.png

I like it.

VERY close to the OP's request.

Where was the OP again?

The green on the 73 I posted looks WAY better with a black or black and white interior.
It takes on an almost HIP look and feel, rather than "same old" green on green on green.

"same old" green on green on green.
I swear Chrysler loved that color.
It might be just me but I think 4 out of 5 Mopars were green in the mid 60's to late 70's.
I just picked up a 72 Dart triple green.

I'm out in Northern CA myself. The unfortunate thing for me is I'm 65 and somewhat disabled, so I can't do the major repairs on cars like I used to. But I'm not looking for anything really nice. Just an average rust bucket. I just find it weird, that this combo seems to be VERY absent from the market. We have 73-74's out here a LOT, at attractive prices, but no 71-72's. The 72 is fine, and can be re-configured to a 71, but none of them either. I found one rust bucket roller 1000 miles away, for $7000 - I know that I cant get used to what a dollar buys now, since it bought a lot more just 5 years ago. I guess I'm just being paranoid, but it seems like this combo seems weirdly...targeted...

Thank you for all the examples posted - some very beautiful cars, and that SSP is VERY tempting, but a little above my budget- I've only got around $10k to play with. I'll just keep on looking, and waiting...

They are out there. This one sold last week in Iowa. Engine swap didn't get finished sold as is for 5k. Mostly original paint 55k one owner car. If I didn't have one already I would have bought it. I watched a satellite similiar bring 22k a few years back...also a auction.

Screenshot_20240805_221512_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240805_221543_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240805_221603_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back