• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tic tock tach inop

Pat70rr

Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
So need some help guys and gals I scored a tic tock tach which I'm currently converting to quartz but I tried to test the tach I have the old Mopar MSD box (see pics)that hooks right up to the original harness and has the wire on the side that goes to my aftermarket tach I tried no dice I hooked it up to that feed and it doesn't work would anybody know if I would still need the MSD adapter or do I just have a bad tach thanks in advance
IMG_20240609_195202590.jpg

IMG_20240609_195116914.jpg

You may need to convert the tach for electronic ignition. See rt-eng.com for a module. I can bench test the tach for you, or if you have a function generator I can walk you through it.

You may need to convert the tach for electronic ignition. See rt-eng.com for a module. I can bench test the tach for you, or if you have a function generator I can walk you through it.
Okay thanks Bill but my question to you now I still have my old box if I hooked up and went back to the way it was stock I should just be able to put the lead from the tack to the negative side of the coil correct and obviously 12 volts and it should work in theory I'm assuming it's because it's multi-spark it's not compatible?????

For electronic ignition there is a tach signal wire that provides a clean square wave. This series of videos will help you understand MSD use with a old tach.

Restoring Tach for 68 Road Runner – Project BeepBeep
Hey Bill listen first of all God bless you I watched the video and in one of the parts he says that the old plastic washers they get brittle and it shorts out at the case I took it apart the washers are gone as a quick fix just to try I cut out two pieces of cardboard washers reinstalled everything tack works fine thank you so much like I said God bless you

Auto Transport Service
Back