• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire explosion sent metal ‘flying like a missile,’ killing 2 workers

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
UPDATE: Tire explosion sent metal ‘flying like a missile,’ killing 2 workers at Atlanta’s airport
It happened yesterday, early in the morning about this time.

Many years ago an inexperienced mechanic was changing a jetway wire (a recapped A/C tire) and did a stupid thing.
When the bearing let go the front half of the aluminum split rim bent the A frame and went running across the ramp.
All the lucky mechanic saw when it let go was a flash of white. The experienced mechanic working with him should have known better.
Split rims and things that can go boom scare me.
RIP.

Last edited:
The correct way to do it

tire guy.jpg

When I was a teenager working at a farm repair shop, the owner of the shop tried welding on a semi-trailer tire rim(the split-rim type).....and it did not go well for him.

The tire/rim exploded and broke both of his arms and his jaw. Spent the next six weeks in the hospital with both arms in traction and his jaw wired shut.

He still had a sense of humor thru it all......he told me never to try that ever again....

Thankfully, he did make a full recovery....

Back in Jr High, our team's quarterback died the same way, except he was using the correct cage while changing a large truck tire. The 'explosive force' from the tire hit him face first and he died from the concussive impact of the air. He was working a Saturday and his father's tire company, bad situation for sure.

Back in the day, I changed tires on split rims, without a tire cage. Partner who ran the trucking company shop taught me to put tire to be inflated on the inside dual position, with lug nuts threaded to keep everything in place if it exploded. Dealt with similar issues unloading pneumatic bulk tankers. Compressed air can do really bad things.

I remember back in my Air Force days, working the F-4 Phantoms, as a flight line crew chief, jet aircraft mechanic, the "tire cages" the airmen used in the tire shop, putting those tires and wheels together.

Here I always thought the wheel went in the cage..

Here I always thought the wheel went in the cage..
Two types of "tire cages" to my understanding.
Ones, the tire and wheel assembly goes into, and others the human being themselves are in.
And possibly, Both, at the same time.
The Air Force ones that i was familiar with, the wheel and tire assembly went into the cage.

Bad deal, I hope they take care of the families that were injured & killed...

RIP

& a full speedy recovery for the other/s

Last edited:

Two types of "tire cages" to my understanding.
Ones, the tire and wheel assembly goes into, and others the human being themselves are in.
And possibly, Both, at the same time.
The Air Force ones that i was familiar with, the wheel and tire assembly went into the cage.
In the Navy we didn’t use the cages on the flight line. We did stay directly to the front or rear of the tire being serviced. Also the inflator had a long hose on it to keep us farther away. The guys that just did tires in the tire shop had cages.

Auto Transport Service
Back