• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire Shop Foibles

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
In the past I have had tire shops mount the wrong size tires, use mismatched valve stems, mount two tires white letters out and two tires white letters in, and put the big tires on the small wheels and the small tires on the big wheels. So now I always double check these things when I pick them up. So...... Today, I got new tires on the 73 Charger and went through my checklist. Everything was ok..... only to discover when I got home that three tires were one brand, and the fourth tire was a similar looking, but other brand tire. Another 1-1/2 hour round trip and a another item to add to my checklist of tire-buying paranoia.

A buddy of mine once ran a tire store and his stories about his techs and whacky customer relations were very interesting conversation. What are yours?

Last edited:
How frustrating!

That reminds me of the time I went to my favorite national chain tire shop (yes, the one known for its road hazard warranty) to have tires installed on my new wheels. I told the sales dude that my driver's side lugs were left-hand thread, then I also told the tech before he removed my wheels. Two minutes later, I watched that very tech break off a front lug stud with his impact wrench. I walked out and said something like "Yeah, that's what I was talking about." He apologized, genuinely. The dude really did feel bad. I was planning to change the lug studs anyway, when I covert the front brakes to discs. That just confirmed my decision and sped-up my action.

I had 4 new wheels and tires on my Australian XY GT. 225's on the back, 215 on the front....or at least that's what it was meant to be.
I ended up with 225's on one side and 215's on the other side.
It's not a complicated job.
ad-assets_2021-01_7kECquFpSRWGfa55dVEQpL2RY6oSatJXnQEkO9SH.jpeg

Last edited:
I worked at a tire store for 6 months, what a cluster. So busy, Hurry up gotta have it! No wonder they make mistakes.

I bought my own tire machine and balancer so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

I bought my own tire machine and balancer so I don't have to deal with them anymore.
Same here. I'm cautious when anyone does the work besides me. I double check everything.
Been doing automotive repair for over 50 years. Now I have to let go and allow others to do the work that I just can't anymore. It's hard.

It's funny you posted this. I just watched a you tube video of comic Ron White.
He tales a story of getting 4 new tires at a Sears Tire and Auto.
He waited 3 1/2 hours to get it done. He drove 20 yards and the rear wheel fell off.
3 1/2 hours and they couldn't get it right.:BangHead::mad:

Bought new tires for a pickup.
Charges included:
- New valve stems $5 a piece
- Mounting fee $10 a piece
- Balancing $9 a piece

As soon as I got home, checked lug nut tightness... don't want to get stranded by lug nuts I can't get off at a later date. Went to check tire pressure as shops usually don't deflate after initial mounting...still had original valve stems in! Yes, I went back and got my $20 bucks back...and told the manager what I thought of their practices.

I told the sales dude that my driver's side lugs were left-hand thread, then I also told the tech before he removed my wheels. Two minutes later, I watched that very tech break off a front lug stud with his impact wrench.

Exact same experience here, ... and is one of the reasons why I only do carry out.

Yeah I switched mine over to all right hand when I restored my 68 for that very reason - These young dudes, or really very few of anybody are going to know that Ma Mopar idiosyncrasy…..

I had a flat repair in one of my "used", nearly new BFG tire, (I bought the whole set for $300) and the next day the tire exploded due to over inflation. I had to buy a new replacement that was more than what I paid for the whole set. I should have checked the pressure.

No one has pride in workmanship anymore.
I've been told that the saying today is. 'When do I get paid ? and when is my day off ?
Ok, I know I'm old but I remember when first starting in the blue collar work force the 2 things I was told.
Do what you are told and do it to the best of your ability.If in doubt, ASK.

I have been selling tires for the last 18 years. My greatest fear is someone's tire coming off the car. In 18 years (we are a very busy shop) it has happened twice. Two times too many.

My wife's Falcon went in for a balance, alignment and rotation a while back, and the guy doing the job (great tyre guy) discovered the previous idiot had done the rotation wrong and the directionals were all going the wrong way - all four tyres same size.

Here's a pic of that car in action.... :xscuseless:

Falco speeding small.jpg

:lol:

Took my wife’s car to a local independent tire shop to get four new tires. Took it home and the car wasn’t driven more than low speed for a few days around town. She then took it to work and made it about 4 miles down the highway and all 4 tires went flat. Inexperienced dude at the tire shop put the wrong sized valves in and they didn’t leak until the wheels spun up to highway speeds. The shop had to replace a couple of tires that day.

I worked a tire store just out of high school. We had a brand new vette come in for custom wheels. The tech was in such a hurry to 'test' drive it he forgot to torque the lugs. The car pancaked in the drive on his way back into the shop. All four wheels came off. Scuffed the bottom of the car, but didn't crack any of the fiberglass. He got lucky and the owner of the car was none the wiser. A true pucker moment watching it happen.

My buddy just ordered 4 tires. They were delivered to his house. 3 tires and a box with the 4th tire sticker on it. :BangHead:

Avoid Big O Tire at all costs. They took advantage of family members who were stranded on the road. They used bait and switch tactics, put overpriced crappy tires on, then wouldn’t warranty them when they had defects.

When I bought my 2003 Lexus back in 03 - I drove the car maybe 5k and my wife was saying why is the road noise so loud. I was for some reason kind of oblivious to it until then. Then I paid attention and sure enough - Took it back to the dealer and demanded they replace all 4 tires for warranty. They wouldn’t do it - the best I could get out of them was a 50/50 split and a different brand. They originally put Toyos on them back then - The car was built in Japan. I think Michelin was what they replaced with them with. I was lit up tho because I thought it should have been a full replacement. The Toyos were out of round or some damn thing - but they said too many miles for a full warranty from them, I should have brought it back right away. What are they called “stealerships” …..

When I bought my 2003 Lexus back in 03 - I drove the car maybe 5k and my wife was saying why is the road noise so loud. I was for some reason kind of oblivious to it until then. Then I paid attention and sure enough - Took it back to the dealer and demanded they replace all 4 tires for warranty. They wouldn’t do it - the best I could get out of them was a 50/50 split and a different brand. They originally put Toyos on them back then - The car was built in Japan. I think Michelin was what they replaced with them with. I was lit up tho because I thought it should have been a full replacement. The Toyos were out of round or some damn thing - but they said too many miles for a full warranty from them, I should have brought it back right away. What are they called “stealerships” …..
When we bought our Lexus RX350 used it had Michelins on it. It always had a slight pull, or wouldn’t hold the road like I thought it should. We had the alignment checked but no problem.
I eventually replaced them with Firestone tires and the handling has been fine ever since. I think one of the Michelins was undersized.

I also put Continental tires n my Town and Country van when my wife was driving it. Three of the four ended up with broken belts, and they also wore very quickly.

No more high high dollar tires for me.

When we bought our Lexus RX350 used it had Michelins on it. It always had a slight pull, or wouldn’t hold the road like I thought it should. We had the alignment checked but no problem.
I eventually replaced them with Firestone tires and the handling has been fine ever since. I think one of the Michelins was undersized.

I also put Continental tires n my Town and Country van when my wife was driving it. Three of the four ended up with broken belts, and they also wore very quickly.

No more high high dollar tires for me.
Yeah that’s all I’ve bought for years now has been Firestone. Some because my good friend is mgr at a Firestone shop so I can go to two different locations and get what he recs for “friends and family” prices which is a damn site better than what they typically cost. And they’ve been good tires too. We just bought a new BMW X 6 and that thing has these huge 21” and pretty wide run flats on it. He told me it was going to cost me more than double+ for new ones and I’d likely only get 20k or so out of them. This car was a dream car for my wife but I can already tell it’s going to be a $$mare for me…… But our marriage is the forever kind and she’s had “C” Now twice in 5 years so I’m not going to piss and moan about anything. She means waaaay more to me than anything eLse ever would…

Auto Transport Service
Back