• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires

Fran Blacker

1 of 27
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask on this forum. Received email from Discount Tire Direct about half price ($7.50) for Heat Cycling tires. Never heard of it but would like to know what it does?

Heat cycling is used more for competition/race tire applications and not really necessary for street. I know my girlfriend would have any new tires for her autocross car heat cycled prior to use in competition. The information below is from Tire Rack regarding heat cycling and why it is important for competition tires...

"Many tire manufacturers use very aggressive tread compounds for the Track & Competition DOT-legal tires they've developed for autocrossing, track days and road racing. And just like other high performance parts, these tires will provide more consistent performance and last longer if they are properly broken in.

The first time Track & Competition DOT tires go into service is very important. All tires deflect under load, and their tread rubber compounds repeatedly stretch and relax as they roll into and out of contact with the road. This stretching breaks some of the weaker bonds between the tread rubber molecules, generating heat. If new Track & Competition DOT tires are initially run too aggressively, too hot or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken, which reduces tire grip and wear.

Putting new Track & Competition DOT tires through an easy initial heat cycle and then not running them for a minimum of 24 hours allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. Heat cycling actually makes Track & Competition DOT tread compounds more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used."

So do they test to make sure each tire has reached a certain temp and record g loadings to make sure proper stresses have been reached? Or just slap tires on the car and go for a ride?

Even street tires need to go threw a breakin phase or should. Before just being kickout on the expressways.
Thats the biggest reason new tires can be unpredictable in performance.

So do they test to make sure each tire has reached a certain temp and record g loadings to make sure proper stresses have been reached? Or just slap tires on the car and go for a ride?

Here is some more information on the actual process - "Heat cycling system ensures consistent results by maintaining key conditions during the process: vertical scrubbing and “soft” temperature curve. Using rollers of proprietary design and placement, the system generates uniform heating and temperature build up throughout the tread by rolling the tire and exerting vertical scrubbing force only. This condition is not achievable while the tires are on a vehicle due to camber. No lateral force is applied. A soft temperature curve, where the tire is gradually heated and then cooled over a specified time (ambient temperature must be consistent as well), is maintained and monitored during the cycle. In this way the entire tread is heat cycled uniformly throughout its depth and width."

Never heard of it but it makes sense. I know that semi tires will go at least another 10K if started out in the winter.

I had a tire guy call that compounding the tire and cool fall day was the best

Auto Transport Service
Back