• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Fuel Dragster Acceleration | Top Fuel Acceleration Put Into Perspective

Think what they would be running if they still ran the full 1/4 mile, and weren't restricted.

1726603858803.png

That's pretty amazing when you break it down like that!! Thanks for sharing!

Reminds me of a time when I hadn't been to any National events since I was in my 20s, Kenny Bernstein had just broken the 300mph barrier at Englishtown and I said to myself I just have to go and see this!

Went to Maple Grove with a VHS camera in hand. Did the pits and later hit the stands. It had rained late in the week and qualifying was way behind. Maple Grove didn't run past 9:00pm if they could help it. They called a town meeting and got the approval to run the rest of the night. Wow, Top Fuelers and Funny Cars in the dark!

So I'm halfway up in the bleachers, about the 330 mark and up comes the first qualifiers. Everyone stays seated during the staging but when the lights flash green everyone jumps up. Just about knocks the camera out of my hands. Still a cool pass at over 280mph. So next pair comes up and the same thing happens again. I can't even tell if I got the pass on film or not. Heck with the camera, I'm going to just enjoy the show.

Next pair comes up and when they leave the rail closet to the bleachers tire shakes and everyone standing gets put right back on their asses including myself. Crazy controlled explosion!

Bernstein ran a 298 and some change that weekend.

old Joe Pisano's design JP-1 500cid TFX dual plug 11,000 to 12,000HP, depending on RAD/weather
Engine 500ci JP1 TF Hemi Joe Pisano Design @ Don Garlits Museum #1.jpg

Engine 500ci JP1 TF Hemi Joe Pisano Design @ Don Garlits Museum. #2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back