• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Shaggin’ Wagon

My old boss frequently asked "I wonder whatever happened to all those custom vans?" He said there we tons of them in the 70s, I'm pretty sure he wanted one for old time sake. He's rebuilding Bronco for the 4th time, first vehicle he ever had so I don't think ones in his future.

Have all my parts, almost wore one part out. Did I tell you I had two Van's. 1972 was a great year.:thumbsup:
Please do tell....and remember .... :xscuseless:

The vans.....not the worn out part :lol:

Can’t stop looking at it. Would love to buy it but “she who must be obeyed” has vetoed it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-dodge-tradesman-200-4/

View attachment 1200486
Cool van.
I worked for the fleet dept of a power company
when Chrysler Corp had another moment
of infamy.
Chrysler was first with the mini's. Fords Aerostar,
Chevy's Astro, soon followed when they realized
Chrysler had a big hit on their hands. The mini's
became the new station wagon. The Grand
Caravan and the Voyager were great little vans.

I prepped/serviced quite a few working at a Dodge dealership. I was surprised at some of the major work I had to do on them right off the car carrier! Didn't have that problem with the new cars, just the vans.
I could tell you stories all day long as to why they were junk. They were built up the street from my house, most of my friends got jobs there after high school. They were selling so fast they were working six days a week, 10 hours a day. If Chrysler learned only one thing during those years, it was to only build what was sold and maybe 30 days out, not hoping to sell. Chrysler built so many they were parking them everywhere, airport, six flags, any place that they could go with them. It was crazy, everywhere you looked you saw Dodge and Plymouth vans. In the late 70's when Chrysler closed they were still trying to get rid of them. When they started the Fenton plant up again in 1984 they found brand new vans lost in the corners of the parking lots at the plant that were there since the mid to late 70's.

Please do tell....and remember .... :xscuseless:

The vans.....not the worn out part :lol:
Both my Vans were Fords, a new 1971 I drove one year in high school and a radically built 1964 I bought and built in 1979. No pictures of the 71 and a few of the 64, I'd have to look for.

The Grand
Caravan and the Voyager were great little vans.

Agreed. My current factory-turbocharged toy:

801469.jpg

note my bumper sticker....I had to!

801516.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back