• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surprised by the final hammer price for this 66 Hemi Charger on BAT

Good buy for the new owner. Probably see it listed again in a year or two.

1720444761317.png
1720444840395.png
1720444892923.png

Things that affect price, headers with cutouts, non original wheels to name a few. I got my 66 Bel cheap, I can afford to drop 25 grand in it and still make a dime or keep for a great Hemi driver!

Hagerty Valuation (based on sales numbers, remember) put it at around $90k (taking into account
a 10% discount for being an automatic). I'd say the color hurt the car more than anything...
Hagerty Valuations state that colors can make a huge difference. I think this is significant, aside from the first gen vs. later issue. My former A33 GTX has been changing hands for the last 3 years at prices 50% over Hagerty Value, but the deep pocket buyers love the factory red with Pewter interior.

I think $65k for a 66-67 non-GTX, Hemi automatic in good condition with a few deviations from perfect original is about right in my experience. You see them advertised for years at a higher ask of course.

65k is 88.6k cdn , so the seller did ok. But not the 100k it should have been :thumbsup:

For a private sell, or even a dealer possibly, I would have expected $65 to 70k. But BaT, like the big auction houses seems to fuel bidding to premium pricing on somewhat rare or rare cars. The second low bidder, from his profile, was interested in a little of everything except Musclecars. So apparently there weren’t 2 bidders on this one that really wanted it badly enough.

I think $65k for a 66-67 non-GTX, Hemi automatic in good condition with a few deviations from perfect original is about right in my experience. You see them advertised for years at a higher ask of course.
IMO I think you might be just a tad low on values.

Using my car for reference, Real hemi auto factory black with red interior.

Ive had offers in the low 100s on multiple occasions the past 2 years. Both were very real offers in person
Another guy went as high as $150k, ( full disclosure I think he was fishing at that amount) Told him , My car aint for sale

I was at the Mopar Nats last year walked up as buyer and seller were shaking hands on a deal. 1966 Satellite, hemi auto. Very nice, but not perfect car at $55k
It was originally a 273 car

So, using this info. I feel like low 70s is bargain basement pricing for ANY hemi car . Sadly when it comes to auctions you need 2 people to want it.

My point - https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1966-dodge-charger-nm-932478/sold

I don’t necessarily follow the pricing trends other than to marvel at how stupid the 2nd gen prices have gone. One interesting thing about this car is that from what I can see it never says it is a factory Hemi car, it talks about where it was delivered new but never mentions the drive train. So if this is a clone than that might attribute to part of the lower value however I would say that at least some classic car prices are dropping

I don’t necessarily follow the pricing trends other than to marvel at how stupid the 2nd gen prices have gone. One interesting thing about this car is that from what I can see it never says it is a factory Hemi car, it talks about where it was delivered new but never mentions the drive train. So if this is a clone than that might attribute to part of the lower value however I would say that at least some classic car prices are dropping
The ad definitely states that it’s a real Hemi car but not until the very end. It never claims that it’s the original engine, though.

IMO, it’s a real Hemi car. The Hemi chassis reinforcements, k-frame, and 66 Hemi fender panel under hood are under there and the chassis hasn’t been restored. The fender tag and VIN are Hemi. Would have been nice to see the SO number to verify against the fender tag. Who knows if the engine is original. No VINs on 66 engines so it’s almost impossible to prove one way or the other. I’m not much good on engine pad stamps or casting dates but someone on BaT ldecoded the pad and the engine build was in mid-May and the car built on the 4th of July. Doesn’t prove its original born-with engine to the car but no one can prove it isn’t either. They obtained the build card for the VIN and it all checks out as correct and a Hemi.

Auto Transport Service
Back