• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Question??

pullrock

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
HI Mopar guys,

I have a question about my 727 trans. Right now it will go into reverse but the car will barely move and it will cluck into drive but does not pull very hard. I pulled the pan and this is what it looks like. What you say this is bad? It only had about 1500 miles or less.

Trans_Small1.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Eric
68 Charger R/T

I'm not a trans expert, but the first thing that pops into my head is to check the rear band adjustment.

You may want to call Chris Andrews and talk to him. He is a Mopar guy and right in Castle Rock.

A-R-T Automotive Repair
Andrews Racing Transmissions, Inc
1015 Park Street # B
Castle Rock, CO 80109
Phone: (303) 660-0522
Web: Andrewsracingtrans.com

Chris Andrews Built my transmission but I no longer live in Castle Rock CO anymore. I am hoping to find someone local to San Jose CA that can help me. Thanks for the reply!

Eric

If it won't move in any forward gears the rear (direct) clutch pack is not be engaged. It is the only element being applied in all forward gears, The forward clutch is functioning as is the low band because reverse functions. Double check fluid level and linkage adjustment. If it worked previously and you haven't messed with the valve body (it is bolted on tight, correct?) then it's my bet it has to come apart for an inspection.
Doug

Chris Andrews Built my transmission but I no longer live in Castle Rock CO anymore. I am hoping to find someone local to San Jose CA that can help me. Thanks for the reply!

Eric

Looks like you need to update your user profile :)
As mentioned the rear clutch needs to engage for any forward gear. If it is the rear clutch the trans needs to come apart to fix it, but check for loss of pressure first. Make sure the rear servo is not cocked in the bore or cracked/broken which would result in pressure loss. Check the filter for clogging (not very likely, the fluid didn't look too bad?) and the valve body for cracks in the internal passages. With the valve body off you can use compressed air to actuate the clutches and bands. You should hear the clutches engage and the servos move with not much air escaping the seals.

Im thinking maybe you have a torq converter that is locked up.

Eric

Go see Joe White at Ad Tech transmission on N. 13th St. Between Taylor and Hedding.

I called Joe at Ad Tech last week. I will be showing him all my findings and see what my next steps are with him.

Thanks for everyone's response! I will update the post once I get the trans out and have it checked.

Thanks again,

Eric

Yes I am running a filter extension but I was not sure of that until I opened it up. .

Getting a second option this week from a friend. Hope to gave answers soon.

it's full of water or coolant....needs an overhaul and check your radiator.

Herb @ Transpro Transmissions Houston,Texas
281-332-5405

Auto Transport Service
Back