• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Story 3.9

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
So I have for Sale on Marketplace a 1965 3.9 engine and trans complete from air cleaner to pan.
For $600. Running and driving before removal from a 57K mile Dakota that was rusted out so could not be Pa. inspected.
Compression at 180-182 on all cylinders.
Guy comes to look at it with his father and mechanic from near Baltimore he said about a 1hour and 25 min drive one way.
They looked it over for nearly 10 minutes and then said is it okay to do a scope on one cylinder, sure go ahead so they do one cylinder and while I'm there he says he can see the hash marks on top of the piston and side wall looks good, so it looks good. Can I do the other 5? Sure help yourself I'll check back.
Yep father says it looks really good and his sons truck has over 300K on it and needs a new rebuild.
Son says he does not need the trans I'll pull it off and buy the engine. Sure pull it and give me $500.
He said no I'll give you $300. I said you will not get this engine for $300. Father says $400 and son says no $300, I can get one from a local yard for $250. You know my come back.
Why in the hell would you travel here and back if you can get one locally for $250. WTF

funny . buyers seem confused these days . setting there own prices and sometimes times . it makes it difficult to sell , sometimes i wonder if it’s worth it to advertise an item for sale … some people i know refuse to sell stuff for this reason ….

They all watch Gas Monkey Garage and think they can get impossible deals. i would have told him to Shove off.

People...

I was flipping a few vehicles a couple years back for retirement income. A slick boots looking a-hole was trying to beat my price down, I looked him in the eye, laughed and said "you have been watching Pawn Stars haven't you?"
He got embarrassed and paid me my price.

when they call you back to offer the 600........ tell them to F off, and you'd rather see it rot

Tire kickers. No need to appease them, send them packing.

IMG_5779.jpeg

After the second turn down "that road" by a potential buyer, my price starts going up.

After the second turn down "that road" by a potential buyer, my price starts going up.
This.
"$600 and the transmission is free" would be my exact reply.
After a third round, because there probably would be or they wouldn't have driven that far, it would be "Get off my property, right now."

Also the $250 yard engine likely has 150k miles on it. Or doesn't come with accessories. Otherwise they wouldn't drive that far either.

People...
The reason I don't sell, I give away. I don't have the patience or the time to deal with BS........ My wifes cousin owns a farm and a horizontal boring company. He's got crap from here to China and his kids are helping him get rid of a ton of it. This guy walks around 17 tractors and walks over to 3 twenty foot pieces of white gutter, 5 bucks. The guy said he'd give him 2.50, my wifes cousin walks over to the gutters and starts stomping them into the ground. Then he said, that was a hundred buck worth the fun and now, get on down the road......... It's not for sale, it's scrap.

When I was involved in procurement at Chrysler, I was taught if you want 1, order three, they'll cut it back to 1 or 2 and everyone is happy. Human nature........... I call it a waste of my time.

Auto Transport Service
Back