• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk lid not aligned with dutchman panel.... How do I Fix this?

mopar4don

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Trunk lid not aligned with dutchman panel.... How do I Fix this?

So I have been working on gaping the trunk lid from my 69 Charger and have found a problem that I am not sure how to fix.

20240713_095324.jpg

I have established the 3/16 gap on the 3 sides (looks good)

20240713_095337.jpg

20240713_095343.jpg

20240713_095413.jpg

20240713_095435.jpg

20240713_095456.jpg

My problem is when the lid is closed, it sits below the dutchman by 3/16. It's good on the left and right sides.

Here I used a flexible ruler to show the problem and that square piece of metal is 3/16.
It is what I used as a gapping tool.

20240713_095735.jpg

The other problem with it sitting that low, is as the lid is being opened it just touches the dutchman panel. NOT GOOD ON PAINT!

20240713_101223.jpg

20240713_101237.jpg

I have tried pulling the lip with a slide hammer NO LUCK!

I have tried supporting the gutter all the way to the floor and putting a block between the gutter and shutting the lid (this forces the lid up) NO LUCK!

The only other thing I can think of would be to slit the dutchman then close the gap and weld it.
But I would have to slit it almost the entire length and am REALLY WORRIED this would cause oil canning!
Which I did get when I gapped the sides (see the 1st pic the areas on the side that have on paint are were I ran a shrinking disc)

Does anyone have any ideas?
If I did cut a slit, what is the best way to do it to avoid oil canning?

I am at a loss!

Do you have the rubber stops and weatherstrip installed? You can raise the lid with hinge adjustments as needed.

Yes the old stops are taped down in the gutter.
I looked at putting the trunk seal in but not sure how to temporarily install it. I think it needs to be glued in right?
And if I raise the lid by adjustment it will throw out the sides.

The way it is currently sitting is as close as I can get everything to sit (aligned to the adjacent panels)

Yes the old stops are taped down in the gutter.
I looked at putting the trunk seal in but not sure how to temporarily install it. I think it needs to be glued in right?
And if I raise the lid by adjustment it will throw out the sides.

The way it is currently sitting is as close as I can get everything to sit (aligned to the adjacent panels)
Is that the original lid? Did you replace any of the sheet metal?

if you slice it, weld one tack at a time....... and with an air blower, immediately cool the weld.

did the trunk lid fit before?

did you replace the dutchman?

what supports the dutchman under the weatherstrip area? is it "boxed" like a convertible? or just has a couple of small braces under it?

deck lids can be pretty inconsistent ...... we try to make these cars fit perfectly, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

1721410446478.png

if you slice it, weld one tack at a time....... and with an air blower, immediately cool the weld.

did the trunk lid fit before?

did you replace the dutchman?

what supports the dutchman under the weatherstrip area? is it "boxed" like a convertible? or just has a couple of small braces under it?
did the lid fit before?
I didnt notice any issues but I probably didnt look at this area

There is a lower plenum under the dutchman
plenum.jpg

a wise man once talked about the importance of early mock-up; but.......

is there a way to modify or lower that plenum?

slicing it isn't the end of the world........... do the corners fit?

Last edited:
actually, 3/16 is a lot and slicing the dutchman won't lower the surface the gasket rests on, not that it can't be bent down a little........ but I'd be looking hard at that plenum.........

is that your only deck lid? do you have the original? deck lids don't bend easily........ but relieving it somehow and getting it to move would be another option

a wise man once talked about the importance of early mock-up; but.......

is there a way to modify or lower that plenum?
Live and learn.....
I am not sure if I can modify the plenum? Hmmmmm
maybe I can slice it down there? I think that would cut it loose so to speak and take the strength out of it?
I will take a look at it tonight!
slicing it isn't the end of the world........... do the corners fit?
The corners profile good

20240713_100021.jpg

DecoPic_20240713_100122.jpg

Quarters and dutchman panel are AMD. the lid is an original lid that I bought
There's your answer. Every gap and edge you are trying to correct has been changed and the only panel that is adjustable is the deck lid.

I put the trunk lid on before removing anything and do my best to leave it there........ it becomes a "jig", sort of

It looks like the gaps are close but the height isn't. If only the front is the issue you need to correct the dutchman panel somehow. It was either improperly stamped or impropeely installed. Somehow it needs to be shortened to aligned with the deck lid (if all other gaps and heights are close to perfect.)

actually, 3/16 is a lot and slicing the dutchman won't lower the surface the gasket rests on, not that it can't be bent down a little........ but I'd be looking hard at that plenum.........

is that your only deck lid? do you have the original? deck lids don't bend easily........ but relieving it somehow and getting it to move would be another option
Not sure the surface that the gasket rests on needs to be lowered?
It would be nice to put the trunk weather strip in and check that. But doesn't it need to be glued? I don't think I'm ready for that.
How do you temporarily install that?

I put the trunk lid on before removing anything and do my best to leave it there........ it becomes a "jig", sort of
I get it. Fit EVERYTHING before welding! Lesson learned..... again!
ALL YOU ROOKIES.... pay attention.
It looks like the gaps are close but the height isn't. If only the front is the issue you need to correct the dutchman panel somehow. It was either improperly stamped or impropeely installed. Somehow it needs to be shortened to aligned with the deck lid (if all other gaps and heights are close to perfect.)
Yup, that's why I am asking how to fix what I have gotten myself into.

And I appreciate all of the help!

Auto Transport Service
Back