• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk light wiring

zdillinger

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Guys, does anyone know how the wiring for the trunk light was run on a '73 Satellite? I have a green wire from the harness that should go to it, but some jackwagon cut it off and spliced in a red wire, then zip-tied it to the deck lid hinge. That red wire is cut off and just hanging now, but I'd like to hook up the trunk light again, assuming the mercury switch in the light still works...

Also, can anyone tell me if the map light is supposed to only work when the dome light is on? It seems like I should be able to turn the map light on whether or not the door is open, or whether the interior dimmer switch is turned on to allow the dome. Is this right or is something messed up?

You should have a single wire connector coming off the rear body harness near the left trunk hinge, un-switched power. The single trunk light lead connects to it. The map light switch has two positions, one routing the light to ground through the door jamb circuit and the other straight to ground to turn on the light while the doors are closed.
DSC02150r.jpg

Thanks for the info. Does the wire to the lead go through the deck lid itself? I have the single green wire but it was cut off and is just hanging. I assume it goes between the two panels of the decklid and to the light from there, so that the wiring is hidden, but I'm not sure.

The map light definitely works when the doors are closed, but only if the dome light switch is on. Is that right?

Map light in mine works only if dome light switch is on, Not sure of the other.. Ill see if mine has the trunk light for you today, i don't remember having to deal with one though..

Thanks Ron! You know me, I'm just trying to make every little thing work on this car, as close to factory original as I can. I'd rather have the seatbelt warning light work than cut a 12 sec. 1/4 mile. I guess that makes me weird...

The trunk light lead is routed between the outer and inner deck lid skins along the left side, exiting the round hole next to the hinge. The factory never secured it to the hinge as pictured, usually just hanged there. The map light switch is designed to have two positions, one, door open or dome light “on” at the headlamp switch. In the other position the light was just on regardless of door being open or any other switching. Normally left in the on with door open position, but could be turned on manualy when in the car without having to turn on the dome light.
DSC02149r.jpg

DSC02147r.jpg

DSC02309r.jpg

MapLight.jpg

Both the heat and current draw with the original incandescent bulb lead to switch problems and melted plastic, here’s a simple cheap fix. Zero heat and about 75ma total current draw.
DSC02057r.jpg

Appears your already well covered Zach... My car doesn't have one.... yet. :)
Great info 72RoadrunnerGTX!

Auto Transport Service
Back