• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TUFF WHEEL QUESTIONS '71 GTX

gary h

Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
I Want to install a Tuff wheel that I have had hanging in my garage for years. Is the Adapter painted Black or Column color ?
Do the three Nuts get lock washers ? Thanks Everyone

PTDC0125.JPG PTDC0126.JPG

Adapter is column color. The nuts are like wheel lug nuts, with conic to seat on steering wheel to center it.

That's also not a 71 b-body horn center cap. Here is what a 71 cap looks like but a black center pad not tan.... This is an Nos late model B-body which was color coded to the interior...

IMG_9446.JPG

That's also not a 71 b-body horn center cap. Here is what a 71 cap looks like but a black center pad not tan.... This is an Nos late model B-body which was color coded to the interior...
My next question was what color for the stripe on the horn cap. So is the horn cap supposed to be Black padded ? Instead of Black Plastic for 1971 ?

My next question was what color for the stripe on the horn cap. So is the horn cap supposed to be Black padded ? Instead of Black Plastic for 1971 ?

Yes black padded like I have shown...Here is a pic of an 71 original I have.

IMG_9847.JPG

I have allways thought the hard plastic was used on all 71/74 but 71/72 SEs which got the padded one with the chromed trim but allways black. Color coded began on 75.

The stripe should be argent.

Here's the original wheel / original interior in my 71 road runner
010.JPG

...are we sure the can is supposed to be column color?

I've only seen black until 75 or so when the colored tuff wheels came out.

I've got 1/2 a dozen of them (actually 5 A/B body and 3 E body) and they're all black.
What are the odds they are all from black interior cars?

I don't think I've ever seen a colored E body can.

...are we sure the can is supposed to be column color?

I've only seen black until 75 or so when the colored tuff wheels came out.

I've got 1/2 a dozen of them (actually 5 A/B body and 3 E body) and they're all black.
What are the odds they are all from black interior cars?

I don't think I've ever seen a colored E body can.

Yes my green interior 71 has a green can, A 72 I parted had a tan one and a 73 I got parts from had a blue one..... Black was a popular color.

Well I have it installed ! The solid plastic horn cap is loose so I need the padded one. But Not bad for an original Tuff Wheel made in the Early 1970's !:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PTDC0130.JPG

Well I got a Black padded horn cap, It fits loose against the wheel. I adjusted the metal fingers so It grips the retainer well. Is there a spring between the cap and retainer ?

PTDC0201.JPG PTDC0203.JPG

Last edited:
Well I got a Black padded horn cap, It fits loose against the wheel. I adjusted the metal fingers so It grips the retainer well. Is there a spring between the cap and wheel retainer ?

It needs to be loose against the wheel otherwise your horn will be on non stop...

Auto Transport Service
Back