• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tuning a Carter AVS carburetor

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Are there any tuning parts such as rods and jets available for an original Carter AVS on a 69 440? Mine runs very rich.

These carbs use the 'tall' pri jets & three step met rods. Edel carbs & many earlier Carter carbs use the short jets & two step met rods. You could switch to these, but you will also need the flat piston covers, not the domed covers.

Give us more info on the engine etc.

Yes Carter was producing strip kits for the AVS carb decades ago

Carter AVS strip kit #10-202.JPG

And finding and buying Carter 10-202 TODAY is another

Years ago Edelbrock wasn’t selling the flat metering rod covers by themselves , so I made my own for the Carter AVS

After that it was a breeze with the Edelbrock Jets and Metering Rods

I was tuning the Carter AVS 4640 and 4968 - Both of those ran more Lean from the factory

Covers are easy to make.
Or find a junk Edelbrock and move the covers.

These carbs use the 'tall' pri jets & three step met rods. Edel carbs & many earlier Carter carbs use the short jets & two step met rods. You could switch to these, but you will also need the flat piston covers, not the domed covers.

Give us more info on the engine etc.
69 GTX. Stealth heads, Comp XE262H-10 cam, 218/224 @.050. Stock intake. I had a Carter 4617S carb restored by a 'prominent' carb rebuilder/restorer. Carb came back flooding gas everywhere. Float level was way off, drop was incorrect. My mileage was poor, A/F ratio ran 11.5-12. I stuck an Edelbrock 1411 on it, mileage is better, A/F runs 13.5 to 14. I would like to use the Carter carb if I can get it leaner.

Anyone know if the jets have stayed the same through the years? 1 or 2 steps smaller jet will lean it out and it may be right where you want. A simple want ad for jets will get you there.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

These carbs were lean. If it is now rich after being 'restored', then something happened....
How much T slot was showing at idle with the Carter? If excessive [ because of the cam], that would explain the rich condition. That is not the fault of the carb. The fix might be as simple as bypass air holes [ or enlarging them if already present ].

Auto Transport Service
Back