• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanity Question.... Bumperettes Yay or Nay

Archie340

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Had an extra set from my 71 Charger SE build so I decided to see how they look. What do you think?

Before
chgr1.jpg

After
72-1.jpg
72-2.jpg

That's a good looking bumper and grill, I think it looks better without them.
Nice car btw.

Not a big fan of them either, one if the first things I ditched on my 73' back in high school. They were a bit larger than the 71's though.

My first thought upon reading the title was to say 'yay' to the bumperettes, because I usually like the little bit extra that doesn't come on basic models. But, after seeing the pictures, I actually like the cleaner look without them.

I do like your Charger, by the way.

Less is more. Unless you may parallel park and have a reason to need them. I love the face on your Charger, just ahead of that long hood!

73-74 worthless crap.... thanks ralph nader for that... 1972 lets kill the horse power,,,, 2015 lets go with 720 hp...

:icon_thumbdown: Don't like them, even took them off of my 69. I like the nice clean look myself without the goofy little add ons.

Another vote for no bumperettes here. That Charger sure is a beauty. :blush:

If they were ugly looking 73-74 style, I would definitely say no. But those are small, streamlined and classy looking. Plus, it is a bit different than what other people have. I say yay.

I have a set of rear and front bumper guards for a 71 charger. They look good with chrome bumpers but if they were painted I would say nay.

I like your car. Years ago I owned a triple black R/T. Wish I still had it today.

My vote is "No" to the bumper guards. It looks much cleaner without.

- - - Updated - - -

My R/T was a year older than your car. The door side scoops were different as were the grill and tail lights to name a few differences.

The "Coke bottle" fuselage styling was ahead of its time. Beautiful cars indeed.

There not bad on 71-72 but 73-74 nope .I can go ether way on the early ones if there in nice shape I'll run them if they need resto or replace no way by the way I think our cars were separated at birth
IMAG0547_BURST002.jpgIMAG0545_BURST002.jpg

Thanks for the kind and interesting comments! The nice thing is they can be removed in ten minutes, no harm no foul. For years I've been toying with the idea of adding hood pins but the car is very true to the original build sheet and I just can't get myself to drill holes in a perfectly good hood :icon_scratch:

Bb70, Your 72 looks great, I have only seen two other brown 72 rallye chargers-yours being one of them.

Thanks yeah I've only seen 2 also .
By the way I can't tell but does your car have the chrome trim on the front valence?
IMAG0548_BURST001.jpg

I like the bumperettes and put them back on to my car. I think they SCREAM seventies and that's what my car is designed to do. If I want "clean" I'll buy a 20XX something. :)

There's also the functional benefit to them. Bumperettes were designed to protect bumpers from expensive damage back in the day, and that's exactly what they do now, which is even more important as a bumper doesn't cost $40 or so like it did in the 70s but ten times or more that amount now. Do you really want to come out of an "oh crap!" situation where someone backs into your car... or you back into them, with no damage to a bumperette or a bent and dented bumper?

Good point on the bumperettes, I'm going to leave them for now. If I get tired of it they will go.

Regarding the valance trim mine didn't come with it but my 71 has it along with all the optional trim. Took me over a year of searching for one as it's a difficult part to find in good shape.
View attachment 263513

That's good to know mine is mint I wasn't sure if I was wanting to keep it on or not

- - - Updated - - -

By the way nice 71

Auto Transport Service
Back