• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visor question

Red63440

Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
I bought a new set of visors for my 64 Fury and wanted to ask how to remove the visors that are in the car now. The visor arms look correct but the visors look to be from from something else and are not original to the car. Do I just keep twisting and pulling to get the visors off or is there different procedure, I want to reuse the visor arms.

Thanks!

headliner.jpg

I bought a new set of visors for my 64 Fury and wanted to ask how to remove the visors that are in the car now. The visor arms look correct but the visors look to be from from something else and are not original to the car. Do I just keep twisting and pulling to get the visors off or is there different procedure, I want to reuse the visor arms.

Thanks!

View attachment 981520

I believe you undo the three screws open the visor towards the door opening and gently pill down so you dont rip the headliner. Its been so long Im going off of memory

Yes they have three screws holding them on, Im good with that and have removed visors before but the thing that threw me off was the chrome shafts sticking out of the visor ends. Both rods have rubber tips mounted on the ends of the chrome shafts instead of the normal plastic tips. I think that the PO changed them out for later model visors.....66/79 based on the rubber tips.

visortips.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they have three screws holding them on, Im good with that and have removed visors before but the thing that threw me off was the chrome shafts sticking out of the visor ends. Both rods have rubber tips mounted on the ends of the chrome shafts instead of the normal plastic tips. I think that the PO changed them out for later model visors.....66/79 based on the rubber tips.

View attachment 981569

These pics are from my thread and you can see on Kramers invoice the replacement tips are for '62 - '65 B bodies. The thing is are the rods in the visors you have correct for your car.

You can give me a measurement from the visor hole in your roof to the rear view mirror slot and I can see if mine measures the same as a '64.

Found the Delrin tips from Kramer on EBay were the cheapest.
20180728_104452-jpg.jpg
20180728_105350-jpg.jpg
20180728_105644-jpg.jpg

I should get a set of those tips. I had my visors recovered last year and reused the old tips. I never even thought about looking for replacements. I guess I just figured there was no possible way they were available. Guess it just goes to show that you never know what's out there!

I should get a set of those tips. I had my visors recovered last year and reused the old tips. I never even thought about looking for replacements. I guess I just figured there was no possible way they were available. Guess it just goes to show that you never know what's out there!

Make sure they're "Delrin". There are plastic ones out there also, there not as good.

I will take them apart tomorrow and will get a measurement.

They measure 10" from the outside of the bend where they go into the mounting bracket.

Installed the new visors today, lots of twisting and pushing but they are installed. I still need to order the correct tips....

singlevisor.jpg newvisors.jpg

Looks good.

10" is a lot shorter than the visor so was there a short piece of rod used on the end that goes in the rear view mirror rest? I don't remember if there's a stop in the original visor to stop the plastic end from going too far or you just have to have everything in place before you insert them as not to push them in too far.

There is a rolled piece of sheet metal in the visor that forms a tube, the plastic tip pushes into the rolled piece of metal to complete the assembly. If you look at hte photo of the tips above you will see the difference in diameter, that's where the tip stops in the visor.

Auto Transport Service
Back