• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage Gauge Pegged

They were the same brand but not exactly same type. The replacement was just a little less CCA and RC.

They were the same brand but not exactly same type. The replacement was just a little less CCA and RC.
elec.jpg

your alternator green out to regulator and blue out of regulator wire
to Blue-white tracer back to alternator if 1 of these are broke it will think the battery is low and will over charge

Car is not being started when voltage begins to climb. Only the positive and negative cables were installed onto the battery.

elec.jpg

your alternator green out to regulator and blue out of regulator wire
to Blue-white tracer back to alternator if 1 of these are broke it will think the battery is low and will over charge

No it will only overcharge if the blue sense wire at the voltage reg is not getting full voltage to the reg terminal or is open. If the blue wire to the alt from the ballast breaks open it will not charge at all same as if the green wire from the reg to alt breaks open it wont charge at all. If that green wire gets shorted to ground then it will overcharge. Ron

No it will only overcharge if the blue sense wire at the voltage reg is not getting full voltage to the reg terminal or is open. If the blue wire to the alt from the ballast breaks open it will not charge at all same as if the green wire from the reg to alt breaks open it wont charge at all. If that green wire gets shorted to ground then it will overcharge. Ron
I understand but are you saying that overcharging can happen with engine not being started and alternator not turning? This is what my situation is. I know it's really weird. Thanks!

Update: Battery that was mysteriously increasing in voltage while engine was off has been rectified. I can't say for certain how it was fixed by I found a wiring error I had made when I converted the ignition over to electronic 17 years ago. However, I'm still charging high (15.5 volts at 2500 rpm) with the engine running. I can get 12.6 on the sense wire at the bulkhead in and out but when I reconnect the wire as it heads out to the ballast before it connects to the voltage regulator I'm losing about 3/4 of a volt. This involves the alternator and ecu on one side of the ballast or it could be losing voltage through the ballast and out to the igniton 2 circuit or the coil. I know this is the reason for the excessive charging but I'm still trying to diagnose the reason why. I haven't found and loose connections and all wires have continuity. At this point I think I'm going to order a new engine harness that is already set up for electronic ignition from Year One and maybe eliminate another error I haven't found.

Check your voltmeter, or try a different one. Sounds as if the back yard is over charging the battery more the the alternator was. The car was over charging it to 15 volts, and the backyard was at 19 volts? Has to be the voltmeter, or some error in testing. With the battery in the car, engine running, pull the battery caps and see if there are alot of bubbles coming off the plates. That would be a good indicator of over charging.

Check your voltmeter, or try a different one. Sounds as if the back yard is over charging the battery more the the alternator was. The car was over charging it to 15 volts, and the backyard was at 19 volts? Has to be the voltmeter, or some error in testing. With the battery in the car, engine running, pull the battery caps and see if there are alot of bubbles coming off the plates. That would be a good indicator of over charging.
Multimeter and voltmeter are both good. It seems it could have been some kind of stored charge caused by one of my electrical components acting as a capacitor but I don't know this. This problem is solved for now. I'm still overcharging at over 15 volts via the alternator.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten my new engine harness for electronic ignition for my car yet but I have made some changes. Would 15.29 volts at the battery with engine running at 3500 rpm and transmission in park be considered overcharging?

Sir,I believe you have achieved,,,cold fusion! Expect a visit from the men in black.

Finally I have this overcharging under control. I bought and installed a new engine wiring harness from M & H. I had made a few mistakes when I initially wired the car up for electronic ignition back in 1998 so the new electronic ignition engine harness corrected those errors. The new harness coupled with a new adjustable voltage regulator is perfect. I had previously bought and installed Autozone and NAPA regulators but a slight overcharge still existed. (your were right- nitrojunky post 36) The new Transpo C8313 adjustable heavy duty solid state regulator was much better upon installation (14.6 volts) and with a slight adjustment I had it charging at a more tolerable 14.1 volts and it's rock steady. Thanks to everyone that has helped guide me along this month long odyssey!!!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back