• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wanted Dana 60 for 1970 road runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Strange I just picked up a S60 housing for my 70 Coronet for 729.21 total.I drove there n picked it up

X2 on the strange S60 i have two under my 67 Barracuda and my 70 Beeper

Try Strange I just picked up a S60 housing for my 70 Coronet for 729.21 total.I drove there n picked it up

When you bought the housing from Strange did you have to give them the dimensions or did they know the stock dimensions? Thinking about ordering a new housing.

They had it on file.7 to 10 days turn around

- - - Updated - - -

Resize_P08-07-13_20-431000053.jpg

Look at my previous post......

Buying a housing only? Then you need everything else. That will wind up costing an additional 1500.00 or more. Buy a complete rear from them for 1800.00 You want a 2 Piece center section made by Dana Sure Grip anything else is not going to be close to a Sure Grip. You can tell the difference from have 2 sets of Spiders and the weight of the Dana is unreal.

I've read at various Mopar sites on the intertubes that the weight diff between stock 8.75 vs Dana 60 (9.75) is about 30-40 lbs depending on brake drum sizes. Has anyone here weighed them both or have some actual figures of the weight difference for original car Dana 60's vs Strange and other aftermarket models vs 8.75?

Buying a housing only? Then you need everything else. That will wind up costing an additional 1500.00 or more. Buy a complete rear from them for 1800.00 You want a 2 Piece center section made by Dana Sure Grip anything else is not going to be close to a Sure Grip. You can tell the difference from have 2 sets of Spiders and the weight of the Dana is unreal.
Well I got a 30 spline 4.10 Trac-loc from a 98 cummins diesel dodge for $210.00 total a rebuild kit with Timken bearings for 115.00 total and am using the 30 spline 8 3/4 axles for now.Having a cat engineer dial it in for me for 150.00 a total of 1244.21 As fleetwood mack says go your own way.As for weight my son can pick this housing up by HIMSELF I know I could but have a tie rod for a shoulder it is VERY LIGHT!

Last edited:
Tall hair the only thing i can tell, if the after market posi units arte an example then I would suspect 50-75 pounds lighter. The Dana Spicer was nearly indestructible. The only rear that comes close is the Ford 9 inch with larger axle bearings and 3 teeth that engage the ring vs 2 for the Dana. But remember how large the Ring gear is. The tapered bears are a pain but they are far stronger than Green bearings.

If I had to do it over again. I would use A Truck Dana 60 with larger tubes, Ford ends and Spicer Ring and Pinion. A rock for sure with 1350 joints and no Grease fittings. Then make a set of lower links for anti roll. Then use a black cover no chrome so it does not leak.

Got mine for $750 and its a real factory 70 B body dana 60.

Well I got a 30 spline 4.10 Trac-loc from a 98 cummins diesel dodge for $210.00 total a rebuild kit with Timken bearings for 115.00 total and am using the 30 spline 8 3/4 axles for now.Having a a cat engineer dial it in for me for 150.00 a total of 1244.21 As fleetwood mack says go your own way.As for weight my son can pick this housing up by HIMSELF I know I could but have a tie rod for a shoulder it is VERY LIGHT!
You did good, nice deal.

A lot of good information in this thread.

Got mine for $750 and its a real factory 70 B body dana 60.

You scored big time brother .. can I be your friend when you get the next deal like that?

- - - Updated - - -

Tall hair the only thing i can tell, if the after market posi units arte an example then I would suspect 50-75 pounds lighter. The Dana Spicer was nearly indestructible. The only rear that comes close is the Ford 9 inch with larger axle bearings and 3 teeth that engage the ring vs 2 for the Dana. But remember how large the Ring gear is. The tapered bears are a pain but they are far stronger than Green bearings.

If I had to do it over again. I would use A Truck Dana 60 with larger tubes, Ford ends and Spicer Ring and Pinion. A rock for sure with 1350 joints and no Grease fittings. Then make a set of lower links for anti roll. Then use a black cover no chrome so it does not leak.

Well to look at them you would think the weigh like at least 100 lbs more .. but i've read a lot when I was on the scent of a orig Dana 60 for sale and everywhere I checked they weren't that big a diff in weight. Also, a lot of what I read said they were a much more efficient design/setup and used less HP so some folks report they were actually able to go faster with lesser gear by changing to a Dana 60 and allegedly no other changes .. but who knows about track temp/barometric pressure/humidity how the stars were aligned/ etc. LOL

All I know is I want one too .. someday.

I forgot to mention I was able to pay the $750 in $100 a month paymnets and that was just about 2 years ago.

Now with all that said Im not so sure that I really need one over the 8 3/4 that is in my roadrunner its still sitting on my garrage floor waiting for my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back