• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Spots

Charger Too

Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
I use soft water to wash the car, but I still get water spots, which are hard to remove. I get spots whether I use water and car soap or just plain water. What is the best way to prevent and remove water spots? Thanks!

Barring a ceramic coating, The only consistent approach is to wash by section and dry immediately. And yes, that can mean touching some areas twice. You can also try low ph soaps. Otherwise you need RO water. Water is softened by adding salts and salt (and most other minerals) creates water spots. That's not the same as the spotless rinse at a car wash which is usually RO. You could also try a vinegar/water rinse but that kills wax jobs.

I have bad water where I live and have fought water spots for years. I started using Rain-X spot free car wash and it has made a huge difference. Never was in the sun and always dry as soon as possible.

Acid rain takes that right off!!! I stopped by and quickly cleaned my truck at the car wash that had nasty water and it looked like I didn't rinse it once dried. A 5 minute shower came today and now it's sparkling clean!

De-ionized water won't leave spots but in the sun water act like a magnifying glass, can burn paint. Have my sunroom window washed and guy didn't dry the windows. Called company didn't want spots. Guy explained they used de-ionized water. He was right no spots. The link is to show it's not BS. If you want to wash car/cars look up how to make your own. Might cost $300 to make one. How To Make Deionized Water For Window Cleaning -

I don't wash my cars.
I have hard well water.
They get sprayed with Maguire's quick detailer and a microfiber towel.
The towel goes in the laundry.

Barring a ceramic coating, The only consistent approach is to wash by section and dry immediately. And yes, that can mean touching some areas twice. You can also try low ph soaps. Otherwise you need RO water. Water is softened by adding salts and salt (and most other minerals) creates water spots. That's not the same as the spotless rinse at a car wash which is usually RO. You could also try a vinegar/water rinse but that kills wax jobs.
My first car was black, and the only way to avoid spots was to wash it one section at a time and dry it before it dried on it's own. Also, don't wash it in direct sunlight - in the shade only.

Auto Transport Service
Back