• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Way to close.... Near disaster...

I had a rough landing at a medium sized rural airport here back in the late '80's.....no video but it was a 737 and we did the one -wheel bounce deal......side to side, until eventually both were on terra-firma together. That was a wild ride.

The ride home at the end of that weekend was no better - an 18-seater....flying in the eye of a horrific thunderstorm. Probably should never have left the ground. Flying across our Desert Plateau half-way home - the lightning hits were crating great silhouettes of my fellow passengers and crew. It was about them when I asked the young woman next to me if she needed the sick bag. She said No, so I said great.

I filled it....with considerable noise attached. I could see the heads of passengers turning to see who was throwing up. Dis-embarking at the half-way stopover in Hamilton, I got off and asked the pilot what to do with the bag, which was quite full, and starting to leak. He looked, grimaced, and pointed to a wheelie bin a distance away. No further upchucking on the final leg of the journey.

That looks unusually short.
I just found a site with lots of info on the runway...
BTW Tenzing Hillary in Nepal is also known as Lukla Airport

1. Short runway: The runway at Lukla Airport is exceptionally short, measuring only 527 meters (1,729 feet) in length. This leaves very little room for error during takeoff and landing, requiring pilots to execute precise maneuvers to ensure the aircraft safely stops or lifts off within the available distance.
  2. Steep incline: The runway has a gradient of 11.7%, creating a significant uphill slope during landing and a downhill slope during takeoff. This unique feature adds an extra layer of complexity for pilots as they must carefully manage their aircraft's speed and angle of approach.
  3. Mountainous terrain: The airport is nestled in the heart of the Himalayas, surrounded by towering peaks and steep valleys. The mountainous terrain limits pilots' maneuverability, making it crucial for them to maintain an accurate flight path to avoid collisions with the rugged landscape.
  4. Unpredictable weather: The Everest region is known for its rapidly changing and often extreme weather conditions. Lukla Airport is no exception, with poor visibility, strong winds, and rapidly forming cloud cover posing significant risks to pilots. Flights are often delayed or canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, as the airport only operates under visual flight rules (VFR).
  5. High altitude: At an elevation of 2,845 meters (9,334 feet) above sea level, Lukla Airport is situated at a considerably high altitude. The reduced air density at such elevations can affect aircraft performance and make it more challenging for pilots to control their planes during takeoff and landing.

I just found a site with lots of info on the runway...
BTW Tenzing Hillary in Nepal is also known as Lukla Airport

1. Short runway: The runway at Lukla Airport is exceptionally short, measuring only 527 meters (1,729 feet) in length. This leaves very little room for error during takeoff and landing, requiring pilots to execute precise maneuvers to ensure the aircraft safely stops or lifts off within the available distance.
  2. Steep incline: The runway has a gradient of 11.7%, creating a significant uphill slope during landing and a downhill slope during takeoff. This unique feature adds an extra layer of complexity for pilots as they must carefully manage their aircraft's speed and angle of approach.
  3. Mountainous terrain: The airport is nestled in the heart of the Himalayas, surrounded by towering peaks and steep valleys. The mountainous terrain limits pilots' maneuverability, making it crucial for them to maintain an accurate flight path to avoid collisions with the rugged landscape.
  4. Unpredictable weather: The Everest region is known for its rapidly changing and often extreme weather conditions. Lukla Airport is no exception, with poor visibility, strong winds, and rapidly forming cloud cover posing significant risks to pilots. Flights are often delayed or canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, as the airport only operates under visual flight rules (VFR).
  5. High altitude: At an elevation of 2,845 meters (9,334 feet) above sea level, Lukla Airport is situated at a considerably high altitude. The reduced air density at such elevations can affect aircraft performance and make it more challenging for pilots to control their planes during takeoff and landing.
Built by a Kiwi and a bunch of Sherpas. :D

That's all verry interesting...You haven't lived though till you've taken off from a combat zone in C-130 full of soldiers in a combat take off. Lots of jinkijn and hinckin all over the sky tryin to dodge incoming rounds and missiles.. Lots o fun... in the dark. Hehe, heh...especially when you can HEAR 'em going by.....

Last edited:
Speaking of Australian airlines.....

:lol:

I had a rough landing at a medium sized rural airport here back in the late '80's.....no video but it was a 737 and we did the one -wheel bounce deal......side to side, until eventually both were on terra-firma together. That was a wild ride.

The ride home at the end of that weekend was no better - an 18-seater....flying in the eye of a horrific thunderstorm. Probably should never have left the ground. Flying across our Desert Plateau half-way home - the lightning hits were crating great silhouettes of my fellow passengers and crew. It was about them when I asked the young woman next to me if she needed the sick bag. She said No, so I said great.

I filled it....with considerable noise attached. I could see the heads of passengers turning to see who was throwing up. Dis-embarking at the half-way stopover in Hamilton, I got off and asked the pilot what to do with the bag, which was quite full, and starting to leak. He looked, grimaced, and pointed to a wheelie bin a distance away. No further upchucking on the final leg of the journey.
Oh dayam!! Funny but I know it's not.....but thanks for the laugh anyways! :thumbsup:

Real ones
I work at an airport, so I hear about this stuff several times a year. As the upper level mgmt sends emails when it happens around the world. Believe me, it happens more than you think.

Be advised , the last one isnt pretty or easy to watch.

Ther is an actual video of this one out there, but I cant find it right now

And a Collision with an aircraft and firetruck that entered an active runway

Last edited:
If you ever get a chance to visit Ouray and Telluride, do so. Telluride is for the ultra-rich and celebrities. Ouray is a pronounced U-Ray, named after an Indian chief. Is more down to earth. The Jeep and dirt bike trails are F-ing AWESOME! You can rent a Jeep there. Not for the faint of heart. People get killed just driving the highways there. A boy in our group sent his 4-wheeler off the edge of Engineers's Pass. It fell for more than a thousand feet. There are a couple of abandoned mines on the way up.

ep.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back