• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s your FBBO story?

What's my FBBO story?

The story begins long before FBBO even existed.
I was maybe 5 or 6 years old.
Dad would often take me to Lancaster Speedway for the 1/8-mile drag races on Friday nights.
Although dad was a Chevy man until his dying breath(he died with his Chevy hat on), I fell in love with the '68 & '69 Roadrunners that put on quite the wheel-stand show regularly at those drags.

Below is Dad's hat contrasted with a shirt with my car on it. What a clash there, huh?

1727191671718.png

My love for those cars grew, and I always dreamt of owning one myself.
In fact, for years I had a page of an old Motor Trend magazine posted in my garage of a '69 Roadrunner (as Car of the year), thinking that was likely the closest I'll ever get to owning one since they were so expensive.

Fast forward to summer of 2020 and I ran across a local ad for a '69 Roadrunner for sale.
I had no intentions of buying it, as it had a pretty steep price tag, far more than I wanted to spend on any car.
However, I hadn't seen a nice one in years and my wife was encouraging me to go at least look at it, so per usual I did exactly as mama said lol.
Upon looking at the car and HEARING it, I fell in love.
Over the following days, mama and I discussed the potential of buying it and what our absolute maximum offer would be on the car, as we didn't want to insult the man too bad by offering what we could afford.
But we did offer him about 1/3 less than what he was asking, in cash.
Well, he had his wife to discuss it with now too.
And to our surprise, he accepted our offer within a couple of days and we drove my '69 Roadrunner home from Buffalo, NY.
My son followed me home that day and was in awe that the car in the picture on the garage wall dad had always dreamed of owning, actually became a reality.

IMG_3510_Original.jpeg

Shortly after buying my Roadrunner, a friend of mine(a lifetime Mopar guy), told me there was a forum that was a must to join if you own a B-body Mopar, a place called "forbbodiesonly".
So in Spring of 2021, I joined FBBO.
I lurked around this place here and there for the next year or so and saw what a great bunch of guys you all are.
Some trust was built just by my eavesdropping on what goes on around here.
So in Summer of 2022, I took my first leap of faith to engage on this site by making my first post.
Here it is...

Ticking/knocking after warm up

And the reception and support I got was overwhelming.
It felt the guys genuinely cared and wanted to help.

Well, not long after me immersing myself in this place, my dad suddenly and unexpectedly passed.
Cars, especially old cars, were a huge way I related to my dad growing up.
So I figured, "What better way to honor his memory than to do that through cars?" and "What better place to do that than in this place that has an appreciation for all things cars?"
After I had some time to catch my breath from dad passing, I returned to FBBO and began a journey with a lot of you folks here that is forever written on my heart, his tribute thread.
Dad's tribute thread...

John S. Rehberg, 8/31/1956 to 9/14/2022, Dad you may be gone but you're always with me...

Please forgive me if I forgot some names here.
But during that journey of paying tribute to dad on this site, several members here stand out to me as folks who really helped carry me through that thread to see it through to completion.
Some even contributed by sharing some of their story and how they related to their own dads with cars.
Just to name a few (Again, forgive me if I missed someone here. Unintentional if so).... @68BabyBlue, @moparedtn, @HawkRod, @Hey-O, @Cranky, @Budnicks, @guy gadbois, and many more...
From that point on, this place has become a sort of home to me. And all thanks to you folks here on FBBO. I really do feel you folks are like family to me.

I have since met many of you in person at the last (2) years' Carlisle event, something I may not have ventured to do if hadn't been for the encouragement to do so by some of you... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What's my FBBO story?

Dad would often take me to Lancaster Speedway for the 1/8-mile drag races on Friday nights.
Although dad was a Chevy man until his dying breath(he died with his Chevy hat on), I fell in love with the '68 & '69 Roadrunners that put on quite the wheel-stand show regularly at those drags.

Below is Dad's hat contrasted with a shirt with my car on it. What a clash there, huh?

View attachment 1731597

My love for those cars grew, and I always dreaming of owning one myself.
In fact, for years I had a page of an old Motor Trend magazine posted in my garage of a '69 Roadrunner (as Car of the year), thinking that was likely the closest I'll ever get to owning one since they were so expensive.

Fast forward to summer of 2020 and I ran across a local ad for a '69 Roadrunner for sale.
I had no intentions of buying it, as it had a pretty steep price tag, far more than I wanted to spend on any car.
However, I hadn't seen a nice one in years and my wife was encouraging me to go at least look at it, so per usual I did exactly as mama said lol.
Over the following days, mama and I discussed the potential of buying it and what our absolute maximum offer would be on the car, as we didn't want to insult the man too bad by offering what we could afford.
And to our surprise, he accepted our offer within a couple of days and we drove my '69 Roadrunner home from Buffalo, NY.
My son followed me home that day and was in awe that the car in the picture on the garage wall dad had always dreamed of owning, actually became a reality.

View attachment 1731598

Shortly after buying my Roadrunner, a friend of mine(a lifetime Mopar guy), told me there was a forum that was a must to join if you own a B-body Mopar, a place called "forbbodiesonly".
I lurked around this place here and there for the next year or so and saw what a great bunch of guys you all are.
So in Summer of 2022, I took my first leap of faith to engage on this site by making my first post.
Here it is...

Well, not long after me immersing myself in this place, my dad suddenly and unexpectedly passed.
So I figured, "What better way to honor his memory than to do that through cars?" and "What better place to do that than in this place that has an appreciation for all things cars?"
After I had some time to catch my breath from dad passing, I returned to FBBO and began a journey with a lot of you folks here that is forever written on my heart, his tribute thread.
Dad's tribute thread...

John S. Rehberg, 8/31/1956 to 9/14/2022, Dad you may be gone but you're always with me...

But during that journey of paying tribute to dad on this site, several members here stand out to me as folks who really helped carry me through that thread to see it through to completion.
Some even contributed by sharing some of their story and how they related to their own dads with cars.
Just to name a few (Again, forgive me if I missed someone here. Unintentional if so).... @68BabyBlue, @moparedtn, @HawkRod, @Hey-O, @Cranky, @Budnicks, @guy gadbois, and many more...
Form that point on, this place has become a sort of home to me. And all thanks to you folks here on FBBO. I really do feel you folks are like family to me.

I have since met many of you in person at the last (2) years' Carlisle event, something I may not have ventured to if hadn't been for the encouragement to do so by some of you... :thumbsup:
You had me at family!! Cars are great and my son was a GM guy and I'd do anything for family. I love your cars, but I love your family more and we share that! You make it easy to love you as a brother, don't change!! .....Ulli

I have since met many of you in person at the last (2) years' Carlisle event, something I may not have ventured to do if hadn't been for the encouragement to do so by some of you... :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]

I was easily spotted at Carlisle, just look for the guy wearing the crown! Congratulations on finding your Mopar dream car!

I was a member at 1970chargerregistry.com for many years, documenting much of my '70 Charger 500 restoration there. My project went into about a decade hiatus while I focused my work on my 1986 Grand National, which was driveable at least. When I returned to the Registry in the past year or two as I started to become more active with my Charger project, it looked like the Registry was the opposite. Almost completely inactive. Most questions about this or that got little more than the chirping of crickets, as most of the older guys I knew there finished their cars and either moved on to Facebook (ugh) or never bothered with the Registry anymore. What was worse was the decision to force anyone to register on the site even just to view pictures of people's projects. The vast majority of people are random Internet surfers, not 1970 Charger owners who are going to register to a website just to view somebody's pictures. This will be all but the death knell for that site, unfortunately.

I had been lurking here for many years and many of my searches for advice led me to either FBBO or DodgeCharger.com, but this site was more specific to my car and seemed to have a lot more activity, so that was one major reason why I joined. When you need help, it's frustrating to post a topic and have no response a week later.

The other major reason is we all want to show off our work. We want to share our stories and pictures and look at the feedback, good or bad, and get valuable advice. This is precisely what keeps a forum ALIVE. Without that, it becomes a ghost town.

I was a member at 1970chargerregistry.com for many years, documenting much of my '70 Charger 500 restoration there. My project went into about a decade hiatus while I focused my work on my 1986 Grand National, which was driveable at least. When I returned to the Registry in the past year or two as I started to become more active with my Charger project, it looked like the Registry was the opposite. Almost completely inactive. Most questions about this or that got little more than the chirping of crickets, as most of the older guys I knew there finished their cars and either moved on to Facebook (ugh) or never bothered with the Registry anymore. What was worse was the decision to force anyone to register on the site even just to view pictures of people's projects. The vast majority of people are random Internet surfers, not 1970 Charger owners who are going to register to a website just to view somebody's pictures. This will be all but the death knell for that site, unfortunately.

I had been lurking here for many years and many of my searches for advice led me to either FBBO or DodgeCharger.com, but this site was more specific to my car and seemed to have a lot more activity, so that was one major reason why I joined. When you need help, it's frustrating to post a topic and have no response a week later.

The other major reason is we all want to show off our work. We want to share our stories and pictures and look at the feedback, good or bad, and get valuable advice. This is precisely what keeps a forum ALIVE. Without that, it becomes a ghost town.

Super nice write up - I enjoyed reading that! :thumbsup:

Now to your comment above: I'm not sure it is so big of a clash. Ultimately, Mopar, AMC, Chevy, Ford, etc. - we are all car guys (and gals). Most of us, besides our brand loyalty, are a lot closer to each other than we are to Prius driving non car guys and gals. I enjoy a little good natured ribbing about Mopar vs. Chevy vs. Ford, etc., as long as it stays good natured. Even though you ended up a Mopar guy, I'm sure your dad doesn't care and is still smiling down on you just the same! :drinks:

What's my FBBO story?

View attachment 1731597

My love for those cars grew, and I always dreamt of owning one myself.

View attachment 1731598

Here it is...

Dad's tribute thread...

Form that point on, this place has become a sort of home to me. And all thanks to you folks here on FBBO. I really do feel you folks are like family to me.

Nick,
As usual, you're too kind sir. :)
Beyond that, you're good people - and you know the truth that is it's the people, the stories, the families that surround
this hobby that truly matter, much more than any of the rest of it.
It's folks like you that keep me engaged in this site, to be honest - so thanks!

...I'm not sure it is so big of a clash. Ultimately, Mopar, AMC, Chevy, Ford, etc. - we are all car guys (and gals)...
Just covering my butt before the jabs came is all lol.
But I couldn't agree with you more.
I am a 3rd generation GM employee myself(ex-employee actually, I left them in '98 and got into the building trades).
So my brand loyalty is a bit split.
I love my old Chevys, but man is hard to beat the look and styling of the classic Mopars.
I'd give any of them a good home and take real good care of 'em.

Nick,
As usual, you're too kind sir. :)
Beyond that, you're good people - and you know the truth that is it's the people, the stories, the families that surround
this hobby that truly matter, much more than any of the rest of it.
It's folks like you that keep me engaged in this site, to be honest - so thanks!
Good Lord, this choked me up when I first read it Ed.
Thank you for the kind words.
The feeling and sentiment is mutual my friend, sincerely.

I am a 3rd generation GM employee myself(ex-employee actually, I left them in '98 and got into the building trades).
So my brand loyalty is a bit split.
I love my old Chevys, but man is hard to beat the look and styling of the classic Mopars.
I'd give any of them a good home and take real good care of 'em.

As you probably know, Nick, my friend Bob Miller, who sold me Baby Blue 41 years ago, is a third generation Chevy guy. He's joined me at the Chrysler Nationals every year since the car came back to me in 2013. He was a bit shy about attending the luncheon at the FBBO tent for the first time, but he quickly became a guest of honor after the story about a Chevy guy preserving a GTX made the rounds. Bob never attends the GM Nationals, likes the crowd better at the Chrysler event. One more example of the good things generated by FBBO. Thanks again to @HawkRod for going the extra mile in making everyone welcome when we gather at Carlisle.

Last edited:
As you probably know, Nick, my friend Bob Miller, who sold me Baby Blue 41 years ago, is a third generation Chevy guy. He's joined me at the Chrysler Nationals every year since the car came back to me in 2013. He was a bit shy about attending the luncheon at the FBBO tent for the first time, but quickly became a guest of honor after the story about how a Chevy guy preserved a GTX the made the rounds. Bob never attends the GM Nationals, likes the crowd better at the Chrysler event. One more example of the good things generated by FBBO. Thanks again to @HawkRod for going the extra mile in making everyone welcome when we gather at Carlisle.
Yes sir, that story sure does sound familiar :D
Keep at it and I'm going to have to post a picture of my "mixed family" of old Chevys and Plymouths lol.
But I don't wanna see this fine fella's thread getting derailed.
Enough said, I'm zipping my lip.
:lol::drama::luvplace:

However,
Exactly brother! My ‘69 RR cost more than I ever intended too.
However,

As @moparedtn said, my own relatively new Mopar/FBBO journey has been more rewarding because of several special people here and their sincere generosity.

From your own words here, and others reactions to them, you only add to the amazing personality of the community! Looking forward to meeting at Carlisle next year.

Condolences on losing such a special person in your life. I’ve hung on to memories of my Dad’s own ‘51 - a convertible Coronet he loved!

We can all be encouraged by how you’ve turned your loss in such a most personally meaningful way!

I must have been shopping when I ran across this site. I had a 1972 Plymouth SSP (318) when I got out of high school. When I moved away from home for college and didn’t really have a place to store restore that one, I let her go (for too cheap). When my dad passed away in 2010, I had gotten married and had 3 kids and a home with a garage, I started shopping for another. I fell in love with several along the way, but they always were sold or the seller otherwise didn’t response to my inquiry. I also passed over quite a few because the Rallye dash have been CUT to accommodate a modern stereo and I kept track of prices on FBBO. I finally found “the one” in May 2015 and brought Scarlet Sue home. She ran really rough a the first thing I did was return the 400 2bbl engine back to stock - like it came off the line. The PO had an Arizona machine shop change the intake and add a 4 barrel carb and a double snorkel air cleaner, and a bigger cam. Unfortunately the gear drive for the rotor was installed wrong and the engine was out of time by nearly two strokes. That had to go to a true mechanic to fix…. I found a numbers matching carb, an NOS linkage, a single snorkle air cleaner and the heat riser. In the trunk of Scarlet Sue was the original intake and a later RB block 4 barrel intake which did not fit the 400 big block. I posted the leftovers on FBBO. When I have a question about something that is not very clear in the chassis or body manuals, I usually come to FBBO just to get clarification. Maybe the questions I ask are a little out there and maybe no one has the answer, but most times they do get answered by other members usually within a day or two.

Thanks again to @HawkRod for going the extra mile in making everyone welcome when we gather at Carlisle.
[/QUOTE]
Hawk and the crew at the tent made me feel like a King!

Auto Transport Service
Back