• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am i missing to mount my radio in my 1966 Dodge Coronet. The only thing i have is the brass colored arm on the back of the radio.

Gscyrkel

Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Is there a tray or something I am missing that stops the radio from sliding around. As the title says I only thing I have to mount this radio is the brass colored arm on the back but the radio is moving around a lot when trying to put the dash back on and is sitting too low. I bought a replacement radio a few years ago as the original was long since gone but didn't feel like pulling it all out till recently since the odometer broke.
1000005082.jpg
1000005080.jpg

OK, has the dash been cut? The radio should slide in from the back of the dash and nuts on the control knobs hold it in place along with the front bezel. Then there is a bracket that attracts to the back of the radio to support it at the back.
20220628_144044.jpg

Coronet radio mounts in the plastic gauge bezel up higher than a Plymouth. The heater control panel also holds the radio in place.

Where are your heater controls and plastic instrument cluster bezel?

The brass colored arm, it it round with flattened ends for the hardware to go through? Ot is it a flat metal strap?

Take those nuts off the radio stems, they go on after the radio is through the dash bezel.

OK, has the dash been cut? The radio should slide in from the back of the dash and nuts on the control knobs hold it in place along with the front bezel. Then there is a bracket that attracts to the back of the radio to support it at the back.View attachment 1727197
I got a used instrument panel so it is not cut anymore the previous owner did a horrendous job hacking out enough plastic to fit an 8 track in the mid 70s. So if I'm understanding you correctly the support arm keeps it up and the tuner knobs keep it locked into the front of the bezel. There's nothing else?

IMG_20240914_150157.jpg

d0d041c5-d47f-4898-a09a-e459270c47ee.jpg

Coronet radio mounts in the plastic gauge bezel up higher than a Plymouth. The heater control panel also holds the radio in place.

Where are your heater controls and plastic instrument cluster bezel?

The brass colored arm, it it round with flattened ends for the hardware to go through? Ot is it a flat metal strap?

Take those nuts off the radio stems, they go on after the radio is through the dash bezel.
Got it thank you I will take those nuts off. So the radio goes in after I've got the dash put it then obviously. I assumed the opposite and spent more time than i want to admit trying to get this to go in. Finally gave in and now we are here.The The arm is like the one here from an ebay listing.

I apologize If this should have seemed obvious I'm getting a little over my head here trying to breathe new life into this coronet as a recent college grad with zero prior experience as a mechanic. Or any one in the family. You'll likely see lots more posts from me over the coming months as I try to figure this stuff out.

Screenshot_20240915_213443_eBay.jpg

You are doing good, and asking the right questions, stay with it!

Your rear arm is correct for your coronet.

You are doing good, and asking the right questions, stay with it!

Your rear arm is correct for your coronet.
Thanks just finished getting it installed looks a million times better now than before with a big nasty hole

20240916_182958.jpg

Looks great. The Coronet dash panel is a bit nicer than the Satellite/GTX version.

Auto Transport Service
Back