• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Do You Do With Car Show Flyers?

What Do You Do?

• Keep Em

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Throw Em Out

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
Being a founding member of a carclub for 30 years, and a carclub that donates to multiple charities, I take offence at the term crooks. First hosting events are expensive, and not all the money from an event can be donated. What percent goes to charity depends a lot on the success of the event. So to do an event you pay for advertising, stuff like port-potties, city permits, insurance, Trophies are a HUGE expense. And if it rains sometimes we can go in the hole very easy. A lot of businesses will no longer donate unless you have legal standing as a not for profit, so we pay a lawyer for yearly filings and taxes. So trust me the clubs putting on these events don't just show up and rake in money.
I see from the comments you guys don't like flyers, then what is your preferred method of finding out about events? We use flyers, internet, and radio.

So just as an example what does our club donate to? a yearly scholarship for graduating seniors, shop with a cop, local food bank, honorflight for sending veterans to DC. and usually several people in need due to medical bills.
Good that you got involved
great you deal with some good charitable orgs too
it's not all the same everywhere & all clubs doing the shows

501c (3) are the only ones actually 'tax deductible' donation,
is the IRS standard, not for profit isn't all the same,
lots of different not for profit out there
we did it with California Outlaw Pro-stock Org. 'years ago'
at events mostly in Calif.,
our not for profit org. was out of Sacramento/Rancho Murieta based
many times, we all added a bunch to what we made at an event,
out of our own pockets,
or out of our tee-shirt sales
or other funds/or even round money
we donated mostly to the Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital
(much like St. Judge, for kids & no bill), food banks were popular also
or for known injured or gravely sick racers, was really popular too...

People/mostly the spectators would contribute in a big cash jar also
Raffles too, were big hits, always someone making a cool contribution/gift...
This was long before the -www- was the way to go...
All on the up & up no skimming off the top ****, "expenses"...

Radio advertisement was key, 99% free too, "Sunday Sunday Sunday"
& if you talk to the right people, a local TV station adds can be free too
lost of spots to fill you see "the station ID come up in",
is places dead air otherwise, that they didn't fill with paid advertisements...
"it doesn't cost you or them hardly anything either"
Fill or fluff for them too... They just write it off anyway...

I quit going to car shows a long time ago, just not my thing,
I'm a racer, a doer, something to do with my car, not a sitter or BS-er...
I do like still seeing the cars, but the shows have become a joke...
Very few I'd even attend, &/or never show my car now...
Most charities were/are a joke, "maybe 15%"
yeah maybe better than nothing
went to the actual charities took in, 'after expenses'
& the charities/donations people entering (alleged part of your entry)
were what was the draw for most of the shows, for the people to participate...

Last edited:
It's annoying to find a seat full of flyers. Especially when they are for shows far away. I work Saturdays so those show flyers are useless to me. It's very rare, but once in a blue moon the person with the flyers will actually ask if you want one if they see you sitting next to your car. That's the best way to do it. If they tell me the show is on a day I can't go I politely tell them that and to save the flyer for someone else. Printing costs money. Don't waste it on me.
But when I do find a pile of them on the seat, i just take a quick look at the dates and locations, toss the ones I know I can't go to and take home the others to check out later.

One of my friends takes photos of the flyers he wants on his phone to save the info then tosses them all out before leaving the show. That's a good idea too.

For me the flyers are a double edged sword.

On the one hand, I don't mind getting a few flyers and having the opportunity to find out about local car shows.

On the other hand, I set up my car with a stuffed cartoon Road Runner "driving" my car, and with Wile E. Coyote sitting in the passenger seat. OK, maybe a bit lame - whatever - it is part of my display and the kids seem to like it. But the folks putting flyers in the cars don't care and when I get back to my car the Road Runner is covered in papers. Kinda ruins that part of the display.

Last edited:
They provide a little entertainment if the show gets boring.

20240927_100013.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back