• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys know about the A488 Torqueflight?

jayzee

Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
My 59 Desoto has the pushbutton a488 torqueflight. Information is slim on them. What do you guys know about them?

I had a 59 413 in my 63 Savoy and a lot of trouble with it. Mainly it was installed angle issues and after I learned about the proper driveline angles, and corrected them, I stopped breaking bell and extension housings! I couldn't hold it in low gear over 4000 RPM as it shifted on it's own. I had a Chrysler line mechanic rebuild it but that didn't last so I went through it and it held up until I scrapped the car (biggest regret of my automotive life). I wished that I would have swapped to a later model crank so I could have used a 727. This was in the early 70s.
Mike

PS: still have the disassembled 413.

Basically a 727 with a rear pump. Have never had one apart.

Uh, no. 727 is one-piece aluminum case, A466 is iron with a separate converter housing. Only similarity is the name Torqueflite..

The A488, like mopar 3 B mentions, has the rear pump. It is also cast iron, and has no provision for 'park'.

Do you guys know where I can get a rebuild kit for the old girl? I also need to know what kind of power they can handle. I don't want to overload her with a 500hp 383 lol

Couldn't those be 'push started'?

Auto Transport Service
Back