• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PARTS STORES

Amata Bene

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
I own several modes of transportation, trucks, Jeeps, bikes and now the bird. And let's not forget the wife's vehicle. Two are for recreation the rest are just that, transportation. Some haul things (*** is one of them) and the others get us from point A to point B and back again. My wife's GMC is stock as is my Ram 3500. The Ram 1500 is close to stock (and getting further away) the 09 soft tail is almost stock as is the 96" 1200 sporty. The trucks and those two bikes are close enough that the board peckers at the parts counter can still find what I need. When it comes to the Jeeps, not even close. The frame and bodies are pretty much factory, minus some sheet metal. Both have SBC"s and GM trannys. Both have Dana T-cases and diffs. The o-12 FLH has a real healthy 120 ci motor and trans to back it and lowered. The chopper has a rebuilt 1983 1000 cc motor in a chopped and raked Paugo frame. So yes I modify ****. It's mine, I paid for it, I cand do what I want to it.
My point is: if I walk into the parts store and say I need a water pump for a 1965, 327 SBC. They inevitably say, "what's it in?" I say, "a 1978 CJ7". Then they look at me like I have 3 heads. WTF? So I explain to them (I'd say junior but some of these people are close to my age) just look up something from 1965 that came with a 327 and we're golden. Now I'm not singling out the auto parts people, it's the same for motorcycle parts. You would think that anyone that work in a parts store has some interest cars or bikes. Therefore knows that people modify their vehicles. They take motors from A and put them in M, and axles from D and put them in R. The thing is if I tell you what part I need and what it fits why can't they look that up. When I was younger and just getting into being a little bit of a motorhead (they rock) I could walk in tell the guy or gal at the counter what I was working on and they would start flipping pages in a book. If you knew the year and what motor or tranny or axle, that was all they needed, and it was probably on a shelf in the back. I very rarely ever had to come back because something didn't fit.
Now when I walk into the parts store I know for my mostly stock vehicles I got a 50/50 chance of walking out with the part. "we'll have to order it". F### me running backwards up hill. "I can order it. I need it now though. And if it's for anything made before 2005, just order it yourself and save some money. The last time I went to a parts store and walked out with what I needed was Dec of last year. Doing a trans service on the 1500. Gave them year make and model and included that the trans is a 545RFE. They had a kit with both filters and pan gasket. We looked at it, I said it doesn't look like the right pan gasket. He showed me the computer and that's what it was saying. Later I came back with the actual pan gasket and filters so they could compare them. YEP! They had to order it.
So now it's just oil, carb cleaner, batteries?, and other shop supplies. I try to plan ahead and order everything in advance. Just to be clear this isn't one particulate parts store. It's all of them in my area, even the bigger names like Napa and so on. Kick the f###ing computers to the curb and bring back the books. I guess technology isn't all that great is it. Or is it the people. Here's an idea, in the interview ask what they drive and what have they done or want to do to it? If they say "Nothing, I've put gas in it" ... NEXT!
Oh yeah this all started with upper and lower rad hoses for a 74 RR with a 340 :mad:

When we were just coming of driving age in the 80s, there were far fewer automobile manufacturers. Often times, there were parts stores devoted to imports while American car parts were at the other, bigger stores.
These places can't stock everything.
The stores will stock parts for the most common vehicles. There were millions of 5.7 equipped 2002-2008 Dodge trucks built so when I need rotors. brake pads, water pump or even a radiator, my local NAPA has it.
If you drive a 1966 Citroen and need an oil pan gasket, you won't find it there.
I was surprised though that some stores don't even have a supplier for something as simple as a disc brake master cylinder for a mid 70s Dart. That pissed me off. They used to be able to order it from their warehouse and have it later in the day.

Every store I've been to in the past 15-20 years has computers. Most had put the books away at least 10 years ago. The people that write the programs for the computers are only going to categorize the parts for the ways the cars are built.
The parts store guys are usually NOT car people. Most have no interest in modifying their car so the idea of putting a set of Ford brakes on a Mopar is probably annoying to them. A Chevy engine in a Jeep? A 426 Hemi in an AMC Gremlin?

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and play the game. Next time you need parts for your 1965 327 SBC in a 1978 CJ7, tell them you need "X" for a 1965 Chevy. Then let them go through the menu of questions on their computer until they get to the part. Any attempt at a short cut just leads to aggravation.

I know what you mean
I have a restored 77 CJ-5 golden eagle with a 258.
I needed an alternator the parts guy looks it up brings it out and it is clearly wrong, obviously a missed box unit. So i told him all i need is a GM SI series unit. Well that lost him right now. So then i told him look up one for a 77 caprice with a 350 he did, it was the correct frame. So he says what if the wires don't line up. I told him I can change the clock on it. That really threw him for a loop.
Just sell me the thing, he did and left shaking my head

Do yourself a favor and play the game. Next time you need parts for your 1965 327 SBC in a 1978 CJ7, tell them you need "X" for a 1965 Chevy. Then let them go through the menu of questions on their computer until they get to the part. Any attempt at a short cut just leads to aggravation.
I went through this in the 1970s trying to buy starters for the Ford industrial six on the dry bulk tanker I pulled. Savvy parts guy told me to ask for a ‘78 Granada starter next time around.

7CF0F60C-4682-40B1-AB15-02CB98E27FEB.jpeg

Lucky me. Our local Napa store:
- still has a counter of books
- they actually know how to use them
- they will let you walk in the back and 'go thru' preformed hoses, fittings, etc., when you are trying to 'fit' something modified.

Do your own research, look up available part numbers and call them to see if they have one in stock or how long it would be to get one. You can't expect the newer generations to be educated on something that's 50 plus years old.

Sittin back with my popcorn on this one.....:popcorn2:

....oh the stories I could tell about customers who don't like the questions when they want to buy a part but can't seem to cough up the answers I need so that you don't get the wrong part........

......and that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that......

Everybody at my NAPA seems to know what they are doing and if they don't have it and their warehouse has it I can get it an hour or so. The best part is that the owner is a Mopar guy and has restoration projects and race cars! I went into their one store on a Sunday looking to see if something might be available for the Max. The guy says"7 Liter"? I said yes and he said "Go Big or Not at All"! They always manage to get me parts for the '92 van. The problem is with the OBD1 injection in the van. There are 2 variations. Up to the middle of '92 and from the middle of '92 on. The Chrysler factory parts book is wrong! It says up to '91 and '92 on so I need to be careful! And NAPA gave me the mid '92 on part.

I've built cars with many different parts that were never meant to be. I wrote down where it came from and what it was out off. I've spent a lot of time looking for radiator hoses and fan belts that fit, but were never meant to be used with the original car. Keep track of what you have and make notes, part numbers, years, and models. It's easy if you know exactly who, what and where. Like that gal that cuts my hair, she's a beautician, not a magician. Things have changed and so has the car business.

Most chain parts store employees are one step above asking "do you want fries with that". They have been trained to run through a computer menu and pull a box off the shelf. That's all.

On the flip side, there are still some independents and family-run parts store out there that understand parts. It's very important that we all do our business at these places even if it costs a little more and you have to drive out of your way to get there!

Just went through this with my sons 74 charger. Gauge would not move from empty, float would not float when full of gas. Tried all local parts stores, Good luck. Had to order one on line.

Lucky me. Our local Napa store:
- still has a counter of books
- they actually know how to use them
- they will let you walk in the back and 'go thru' preformed hoses, fittings, etc., when you are trying to 'fit' something modified.
I'd almost move there just for that. Almost.

Do your own research, look up available part numbers and call them to see if they have one in stock or how long it would be to get one. You can't expect the newer generations to be educated on something that's 50 plus years old.
Yep. Defiantly can't ask the younger generation to be edgimacated.

When I go to the parts house I know what part I need, the year or years that part fits. What I don't know is how many different vehicles used that same set up. For a while Jeep was using Buick 350's. You know how many Buicks used 350's? Me either.

I’m lucky here. Have a local parts place where the two guys who work there know their stuff. They still have all their old books and if you ask for anything made before about 2000 they don’t even bother with the computer. It’s straight to the books. I’m thankful to have them in the area. Good places are still out there. :thumbsup:

I've been working for a auto parts store chain a little over one month. I can tell you the focus is model years 2000 to 2017, and the priority is efficiency and profits. Not being critical as the business needs to focus on the best use of the store's square footage and profitability.

It is also easy to look like an idiot behind the counter trying to find the correct part. For example, a Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 has FIVE different serpentine belt part numbers and THREE different tensioners. Two are dependent on the alternator used, and three are dependent on a variable that only the VIN can decipher. I've had very angry customers come back over serpentine belts for this particular vehicle. I now recommend pulling the old belt and I measure and try to match it up. Belt tensioners are a nightmare that just takes trial and error to find.

Please go easy on the guy behind the counter. Most of the guys I work with are car guys and knowledgeable, but when they look up a part for a vehicle and see four, or five different part numbers it's anyone's guess sometimes what fits.

I concur with Billccm. I was an automotives department manager for a Canadian Tire up north here and most of my employees--especially in evenings--were teenagers or 20-somethings. We did have a few experienced Parts staff but they worked prime daytime hours and the young'uns were typically the only ones around from 4 to 9 PM. Some of them were car guys but as you can expect, into more modern cars, not vintage muscle. Some were even pretty good at navigating the computer catalogs. That said, one of us muscle-car enthusiasts shouldn't go up to some kid and expect them to share our experience and knowledge. If they DID have that knowledge, they sure as hell wouldn't be working at a parts store, they'd be working as aspiring mechanics.

That said, one of us muscle-car enthusiasts shouldn't go up to some kid and expect them to share our experience and knowledge. If they DID have that knowledge, they sure as hell wouldn't be working at a parts store, they'd be working as aspiring mechanics.
My friend Bob, who sold me the namesake of my screen name back in 1983, started out working the counter at an auto parts store. He was also an excellent mechanic, but he made way more with a life long career selling wholesale appliance parts. When I first met him, when he was 25 years old, he already owned a nice home in the DC suburbs, and sold me the GTX because he already had three other cars competing for garage space.
Bob gtx.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back