• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this???? Weight in transmission tunnel 72 SSP

JoePole

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
Hope I put this in the proper section. While changing out my mufflers I noticed this weight located in the transmission tunnel where the rear sub frame starts.
appears to be fastened with rubber isolation mounts. What is its purpose? Remove it for street car? Sorry for the bad pictures.

IMG_20240716_123958.jpg

IMG_20240716_124005.jpg

IMG_20240716_124035.jpg

IMG_20240716_124014.jpg

I've believed it to be some kind of vibration dampener. I parted a 72 Coronet that had one.

Seriously, it's a solution for a lazy engineer to retune a disliked chassis resonance or a bean counter's low-cost quick fix to do the same thing.
My car, it would be in the scrap pile, allowing me to eat another 1/4 pounder, and I would either turn up the radio, or get louder mufflers.

That is correct, it is a weight designed to reduce or eliminate vibrations within the passenger compartment. I removed the one in my 71 charger as well.

SWAG I'm thinking it might have added at the factory during dynamometer testing? Doesn't seem to be a common item and most of the ones that I have encountered seem to be on the 1971/1972 MY cars. Just a wild a$$ guess though.

Its the chrome muffler bearing.
Yours is kinda rusty.
:lol:

If doesn’t disturb and can help, why remove it?
Good question Nacho,
I think I'll clean mine up and get it powder coated and put it back on to see if it makes a difference.
I did leave the studs in the underside so it can be bolted back in place.

But that will be a winter project and try it out next year.

Auto Transport Service
Back