• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

To me, it looks like that new starter would be the same weight or possibly slightly heavier than a standard mini starter. This due to the more complex adjustable nose. There isn't much fat on those Denso mini starters.

I talked to him at Martin NMCA. He told me he just moved as he used to drive by my house often. I'll see him at Norwalk later this month.
Doug

I talked to him at Martin NMCA. He told me he just moved as he used to drive by my house often. I'll see him at Norwalk later this month.
Doug
It seems that Keith Jr. still owns the lightweight Goat in his Father's memory. What a story.

One thing though via my curious eyes. Seymour's black '65 Goat looks to be a hardtop/Coupe.

Just wondering why Pontiac didn't choose to use the more lighter and rarer post sedan cars which just fewer than 10.000 left the doors and were not the darlings to most wannabe racers. The Hardtops/Coupes were the popular status choices for most. Maybe the post sedan cars were not available yet in the early production run? Who knows.
People, including those at the assembly plants were eager and anxious to get anything remotely hot out the doors and into the hands of history.
I love, love, love love my (V)opars, but I am in the closet about my admiration for 1965 Goats. Particularly the post sedans like the one underneath. Pardon my biases.

1-19.jpg

Last edited:
To me, it looks like that new starter would be the same weight or possibly slightly heavier than a standard mini starter. This due to the more complex adjustable nose. There isn't much fat on those Denso mini starters.
I think this lightweight starter calls for a scale visit by someone that gets one from Mancini. An ounce or two might not be enticing enough for most, but a batch of ounces might perk up the ears and realistically a pound or two will get me booking a unit. Let's weight and see.

I think this lightweight starter calls for a scale visit by someone that gets one from Mancini. An ounce or two might not be enticing enough for most, but a batch of ounces might perk up the ears and realistically a pound or two will get me booking a unit. Let's weight and see.
Weight and see? I saw what you did there!

Yes, we need a good weight with pounds and ounces on this new mini starter!
MJ
One way of getting weight off this new mini starter or any mini starter before that would be in the bolts that hold it all together. The armature and reducing gear cogs will almost always stay the same unless the body or chuck are made with a different light alloy.
The black car has titanium bolts holding the oil pump, starter and water pump to the engine. Probably not worth it for most on here.

Last edited:
Spoiler Alert!
I figured out how to get aluminum wheels cylinders (13/16" and/or 3/4") for the rear drum brakes on our Mopars.
Some assembly required, details to follow.
IMG_1424.jpg

So here is my list of starters and weights:
4379144 - 11 LBS
P4510049 - 10 LBS
P5249644 - 8.95 LBS
MRE644 - 8.5 LBS
P5007860 - 8 LBS 7 OZ
P53005984 - 8 LBS 4 OZ
440 Source - 8 LBS 1.5 OZ
Would like to know what else is out there?
MJ

Spoiler Alert!
I figured out how to get aluminum wheels cylinders (13/16" and/or 3/4") for the rear drum brakes on our Mopars.
Some assembly required, details to follow.
View attachment 1709890
I was itching to break the news, but I figured I had no say at the podium until you served it up Badvert. Please brief us on this find. Very interesting and I bet my bottom dollar that Mopar John has his ears perked up. Where do I sign?

Lee,
When I had my Dana built I went with light weight Wilwood rear disc brakes and scalloped rotors! So no rear wheel cylinders!
MJ

Willwoods for mine as well. Aluminum hubs, calipers, caliper brackets. Pads are smaller as well.
Doug

Are rear drums in the minority? I feel so .... old....
Yes, Drums went the way of the T-Rex, even 11 inch units. I still have four corner 10.5 drums, but they are taken care of on an annual basis and good care of driving behavior. At the track, that's what the last turnoff is for. Back the shoes off a little and free wheel, but know your limits.

Well, i do have front disc brakes, so there is hope.....
So do these aluminum wheel brake cylinders have the mounting holes in the exact stock location as a Mopar? If I am correct, the work entailed is the installation of outer seal boots that look like they interchange?

No, the mounting holes are in a completely different place, unless you don't care if the bleeder screw isn't at the top. I am working on an installation document, but I haven't quite finished it.

No, the mounting holes are in a completely different place, unless you don't care if the bleeder screw isn't at the top. I am working on an installation document, but I haven't quite finished it.
We're all anxious to see what you come up with, but take the time you need of course.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back