• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Type Trans Fluid in my 727

RT70

Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T. This is my first Mopar. I have many questions, and have already got good answers to previous posted questions. The R/T has the 727 automatic transmission and I don't know the best transmission fluid to use. The AQ-ATF-2848A fluid that my 1970 Dodge Coronet Service Manual recommends is no longer available. I've read from some of the Forums that a lot of people use Type-F. Why would a Dodge car use Ford transmission Fluid? Can I use Dexron III or IV in my 727? Would appreciate feedback from you Mopar (experts) folks as to why or why not? Thanks, Richard

I'm sure there will be more answers; but Type-F had different friction additives and locked up the clutches a little quicker. I still use it although the new synthetic stuff should work as good. Boy the price though makes me swallow a bit.

Dexron TM is listed for earlier TFs up to 93. As OldBee said - Type F for more aggressive shifts.

As 'AR' says, more aggressive is a relative term though. You may not really 'feel it', but it's there.

I'm sure there will be more answers; but Type-F had different friction additives and locked up the clutches a little quicker. I still use it although the new synthetic stuff should work as good. Boy the price though makes me swallow a bit.
Thanks, Is the Type-F better than Dexron? I want my trans (727) to last as long as possible.

No worries on longevity.

Ok,time for the way back machine,,"1973" Went to a Direct Connection seminar,Speaker said,"For performance use Type F.It is not as slippery as Dextron.Dextron was developed for the guy driving his Imperial to work in his suit and doesn't want to spill his coffee.The engineers wanted something so the customer can't (and don't want to) feel the shifts". End quote...Funny how some things stick in your head.I can't remember what the wife just said,,,but I remember that !!

My 9.0 racecar uses Walmart el chepo Dexron. Excellent results. Clutch and band wear are excellent.
Doug

Type F in my 62 TF8. No issues and plan to run it in my 69 TF

I wanted to thank all you Mopar folks for your helpful recommendations regarding what kind of transmission fluid to use in my (1970) 727. Looks like I have numerous (good) choices. Now I have to choose one. Again, thanks, Richard

I use ATF+4, no problems and shifts firm

I looked in my garage and this is what I was using in mine. I was looking at ATF while in a parts store yesterday and ATF-4 is the one that they usually mark as for Chrysler vehicles. Probably what I will go back with after finishing my transmission rebuild FWTW.

I looked in my garage and this is what I was using in mine. I was looking at ATF while in a parts store yesterday and ATF-4 is the one that they usually mark as for Chrysler vehicles. Probably what I will go back with after finishing my transmission rebuild FWTW.
Chrysler has been using atf+4 for a while now, I use it in all my fresh rebuilds. I used type F in trans behind the car I was bracket racing, can't honestly say it made a diff in the shifts. Then again I was using a griner billet valve body, which is outstanding by the way !

I'm planning to swap the stock trans pan to a higher capacity aluminum pan on my 727. I don't know what type of fluid is currently in the transmission so my question is, are there any concerns with mixing types of trans fluids? I've used Type F in my other mopars with good results.

I'm planning to swap the stock trans pan to a higher capacity aluminum pan on my 727. I don't know what type of fluid is currently in the transmission so my question is, are there any concerns with mixing types of trans fluids? I've used Type F in my other mopars with good results.
Unlike many modern automatics, TF-727 can live well on a variety of ATF fluids. But fully synthetic will withstand heat better than mineral based fluid.

I use ATF+4 compatible fluid in my Durango with 45RFE-transmission, and semi synthetic ATF in my road runner with 727. You can mix different types of ATF in an old TF-727.

Auto Transport Service
Back