• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the rules on flat towing

THat's what I was thinking. Pull it off the rear end yoke aheswing it aside. Wire it up or use a ratchet strap to secure it. Hook it to the springs near the front mounts.
I can add from experience flat towing a racecar repeatedly, take the caps off and put them in the car

I used to flat tow my 69 SuperBee from Indiana, Pa to Keystone Raceway using an additional driveshaft safety loop offset enough to keep it out of the way.

THat's what I was thinking. Pull it off the rear end yoke aheswing it aside. Wire it up or use a ratchet strap to secure it. Hook it to the springs near the front mounts.
You also need to tie the front yoke to the trans with a tie wrap, ratchet strap, or some wire so it doesn't fall out going down the road. Don't ask me how I know.

Tell them its a 1975 Dodge Colt that you are towing. The Uhaul trailers are top notch.

IMG_1796.JPG

I used a Uhaul trailer to bring a 67 Coronet from Bakersfield CA to Tucson AZ . No issues renting it or pulling it with my 2012 Ram 1500

Biggest thing using a tow dolly is ALL the braking is on the tow vehicle. But it can be done, Ive used one several times but never towing anything the size of a B body Mopar

Uhaul trailers have surge brakes and they do help

Don't know about rules...at least not in 1987 we didn't...... towed that big ole Chrysler 9-passenger about 250 miles one evening across country roads.

img106.jpg

I've had a 5000lb truck on my 1000lb trailer.
A 3500lb b-body on a 2000lb u-haul trailer should be a cakewalk.
Are you sure they aren't objecting to your tow vehicle?
(You could try Penske at home depot).

I've had a 5000lb truck on my 1000lb trailer.
A 3500lb b-body on a 2000lb u-haul trailer should be a cakewalk.
Are you sure they aren't objecting to your tow vehicle.
(You could try Penske at home depot).
Good point.

I often see clowns in my area towing big flash boats with tiny SUV's.

Pulling is one thing.....stopping that load is another.

I had a thread on here about towing my diesel pickup on my trailer, questioning if I could get away with it, too much load on the tires, above rated.
I've decided to bite the bullet and just go with common sense, and trailer my 3600lb daily instead of my 7000lb pickup (12,500 lb tow vehicle).
To think a b-body on a 2000lb rental trailer would be too heavy is just absurd.... unless the trailer tires are garbage (the first thing I would look at on a rental trailer! )
Edit: if you end up flat towing the car, you'd better look at the tires on the vehicle you are flat towing, too!

Last edited:
U-Haul told me my B-body was too large/heavy for their trailers.
You need to call a different U-haul. I have hauled two B-bodies with U-haul trailers. Love the trailers, would like to own one. Got one in Ohio, the other here in New York.

Yeah Ive tried the whole U-haul trailer thing before. They said no. I'm not sure what their deal is, but they claimed whichever Mopar car was too heavy, even though it had no motor /tranny. I felt it had more to do with the age of the car , rather than weight ,as I know many contemporary cars are way heavier. I just don't want to deal with them anymore. I like the spare slip joint stub idea. Never thought of that.
OP needs a boob job or become a better liar, IMO, the person at the counter will be behind the counter at McDonalds next week anyway.:cursin:

Last edited:
Also check around with different uhauls for pricing - across state lines if you're close. When I rented mine in May it was 1/2 price in PA - 45 mins from where i was loading the car in Western NY Worth it for the $250 it saved me.

Forgot to mention that i had reserved a uhaul auto transport trailer about a week before i was going to tow it. Come to find out, uhaul cancelled my reservation. The only reason i found was because i called to make sure they had my trailer the night before. Those asshole didn't call, email, or anything to let me know. I really needed a trailer because the car had bad tires, a bad rear wheel seal. I had to rush like hell to find a seal, pull some wheels off another car, and drive 400 miles to the car so i could tow it back home. Luckily the sob's at uhaul still had a tow dolly. I had to replace the wheel seal roadside because the property owner didn't want me working on the car on his property. Uhaul can go to hell. I hope they go work and go out of business.
I had about the same situation here this spring. I rented a trailer from them, so the day I was to pick it up I called a couple of hours prior to find out what size ball I needed. That's when they told me "there's a problem, we don't have a trailer" . I told them I was moving my bil into assisted living in 3 days, 600 miles away, so you better find me a trailer somewhere. They did find me a trailer finally. If I had driven there only to find out they didn't have a trailer I might have unloaded on somebody.

I just towed this from Oklahoma back to Iowa the weekend of the 17th using U Haul equipment. No problems whatsoever.

1724720530523.png

Around here U haul wont rent a trailer for a B body. If you say Beetle, all is well. Had to do that twice to get a trailer.

I'm just baffled that the desk jockeys at uhaul know what a B body is! You guys must have better uhaul shat down there than we do. Our stuff is registered in the US, that they somehow get away with and has zero maintenance.

If you go on the U-Haul website, you input the towing vehicle, and the vehicle being hauled. Up pops a tow dolly or a trailer. Just did it for a 68 Satellite. $55 a day for the trailer.

Its worth the 55 bucks to not have to maintain and store the trailer. I mean if you were dragging cars home every other day sure buy a trailer but for the occasional car its worth it to get the U-Haul.

Auto Transport Service
Back