• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel/Tire Combo - 67 Coronet R/T

67SniperHockey

Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys - I’ve searched the forum and have found many threads in regard to this topic but have a specific question in regard to my new car. 67 Coronet R/T.

Am I going to be ok clearance wise with the following setup? Looking at getting the 15x8 mopar police rims all the way around - but they come with 4” backspace.

Then looking to put 255/60R15 Mickey Thompson S/T Performance tires on the rear.

As far as I know everything in the rear is stock (no mini tub, springs in stock location, etc.). Any help is appreciated - thank you guys and excited to finally have a b body after 15 years of looking!

Last edited:
275 60 15 on cop rims on a 67 Coronet. Stock suspension... it fits with little room to spare, no rubbing at all.

20190527_145357.jpg

17x7 fronts and 17x8 rears
225/50 front and 245/50 rear

perfect clearances all the way around, could go bigger in rear if wanted but not much more, front is tons of room.

pic is when it was in 4x4 mode lol sits a lot lower now and still has all the same room

E1FAA440-4155-4111-94D3-575E6B189DBE.jpeg

So rears I could safely go with: 15x8 rim with 4.5" backspace and 275/60R15 rears? Fronts 15x8 and 235/60R15s? Thanks guys!! I know I will have room up front, just concerned about room for the rears is all - I know I will have to jack and lower suspension to get the rears on, but once on I want to make sure I am good to go.. Thank you!

I spent quite a few nights fitting different rims, measuring for clearance, lying on my back with a flashlight, before I ordered my wheels and tires for my 67 RT..
I was in my 40's, so I surely did not want to have a car that rubbed on corners, needed to "roll" my fender lips, or jacked it up with 6" shackles like a ghetto hooptie..... I experienced that kind of 'fun' when I was young.....
If you look up into the fender wells you will see both the inside and the outside slope inward, making for less room as you go further up the the wheel well.
I ended up with 15 X 7 fronts with a 4" BS using 225 60 15 tires..
The rear got 15 X 8 with either a 4 1/4 or a 5 1/4 BS... Its been so long I honestly cannot remember.. Rear tires are 245 60 15.. I do remember thinking that I would have reduced the backspace by 1/8"....
The car had a lot of sway in it until I installed a rear sway bar, but I still had to install an 1/8 wheel spacer on the right side only.....

To go bigger on the front I do believe you will get some rubbing, depends on the stance of the car.
As to the rear, in my experience I am at the max.... For the last 20 years I still hear the " 275 no problem" I call BS, again unless you modify the wheel well or have some hooptie shackles... Or maybe 70 or 78 series tires
DSCF0376.JPG

I think my car came out pretty nice so you now have my opinion based on the 30 years I have owned the car in the pic

Last edited:
No way I could fit a 275 a 255 rubs a little on left hand turns with 4.5 backspacing. In the process of mini tub and spring relocation kit to get the tire off the outer fender. 5 inch backspacing would be best but hard to find

67 Satellite 15x8 w/4.5 backspacing & 255/60/15 rears. real tight . I would not think a 275 would go , at all with the really tight fit I have with a 255. if I had a 5 inch backspacing I could see it being possible but 5 inch back spacing is hard to find . if you knew a shop that could cut the enter out and move it to ge the 5 inch would be the best route

Thanks guys - appreciate it! I went with the 255s in the rear. Need to get them mounted yet so will see how it goes! Thank you for the replies and insight!

You can use a 7" rim with 255

I went with 15x8s all the way around. 235 60R 15s up front and 255 60R 15s in the rear - took 14 inch 275s off of it. Plenty of room in rear with the 15 inch 255s. Thanks guys!

122A3761-665B-48F4-BE1D-4CA1E34B9EF5.jpeg

If you look at Sniperhockeys car height, ( based on supplied picture) the rear wheel well barely covers the tire tread... Look at mine and its way down into the wheel..... I wanted my car low, so I will say a lot of difference in car height here..
I only blasted, painted, new zinc and plastics my original "hemi" springs assuming they would be 'worn" and the car would have a low stance ….
A huge difference here with what tire sizes you can use.....

And right rear will be a tinge higher due to the extra factory leaf spring :)
That's a new one on me... My cars stance is the same both sides... Messed up springs or "Shackles" give cars that " downhill" look...

That's a new one on me... My cars stance is the same both sides... Messed up springs or "Shackles" give cars that " downhill" look...

Joe it was new to me too - sure enough went out and counted and passenger had 1 more leaf than the drivers side. Thought it was interesting.

Joe it was new to me too - sure enough went out and counted and passenger had 1 more leaf than the drivers side. Thought it was interesting.
No, No , no, that is not what I am talking about... I am well aware of the Hemi suspension that came in certain vehicles with an extra half leaf on one side... What I mean is my car has these rear leafs and both sides sit at the same height....
My point on here is the lower a car sits the less room it has in its rear wheel wells... That is why I always say 245's were as wide as I could go... If a car sits higher, sure, you can get larger tires and wheels under it...

No, No , no, that is not what I am talking about... I am well aware of the Hemi suspension that came in certain vehicles with an extra half leaf on one side... What I mean is my car has these rear leafs and both sides sit at the same height....
My point on here is the lower a car sits the less room it has in its rear wheel wells... That is why I always say 245's were as wide as I could go... If a car sits higher, sure, you can get larger tires and wheels under it...

Of course :)

Auto Transport Service
Back