• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When are tires too fat for manual steering?

OneWheelPeel

Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
So today I took the Coronet on its second big (relative term!) drive to the DMV, I had to use a road that goes around 45 mph and it was all pretty good. Then I had to get on the brakes a little harder than normal and found out these skinny 195 tires can get locked up fairly easily. I've always believed the first brake upgrade it a tire upgrade.
I haven't decided for sure where I want to go yet with a wheel and tire package, could be 14 or 15 inch mags, could be something more modern. I do have 17 inch rims from a 2010 Challenger sitting around, not the best look but with an adapter it could be an option for a functional benefit.

So on to the steering part, right now I'm pretty comfortable with the level of effort with the manual steering, but I'd imagine effort goes up with tire size. Is there any collective wisdom on how big you can go before its no fun to drive?

They are too fat when you can't park the car anymore! :D

I had 255-60x15 on 15x7 cop rims all the way around on one of my cars with manual steering and was minimal effort while moving. Parking wasn't really that bad either but I had a larger 15 inch diameter Grant steering wheel on it as well.

I had 255-60x15 on 15x7 cop rims all the way around on one of my cars with manual steering and was minimal effort while moving. Parking wasn't really that bad either but I had a larger 15 inch diameter Grant steering wheel on it as well.
I had the stock steering wheel on my 66 Belvedere with the same size wheels but with 225-75-15's all the way around. The car was a /6 car with factory AC and it was pretty easy to turn even at slow speeds with a lot of camber and caster dialed in. The car was also lowered about 2" front and rear.

Imagine how well a 165-80x15 stops!
If you have an adjustable brake bias, maybe you could dial in more rear brake. I had my best brakes on the rear, were the 14"wide tires are.
I have had 235-60x15s on the front of a manual steering rr,but I don't think I'd like that any more.
Maybe try something like a 215 or 225 in a 70 or 75 aspect ratio.
It won't handle great with a tire that tall, but it should stop better.

Edit: oh, I more thing. Unless you have 14s already, and want to keep them, avoid 14s like the plague.

Imagine how well a 165-80x15 stops!
If you have an adjustable brake bias, maybe you could dial in more rear brake. I had my best brakes on the rear, were the 14"wide tires are.
I have had 235-60x15s on the front of a manual steering rr,but I don't think I'd like that any more.
Maybe try something like a 215 or 225 in a 70 or 75 aspect ratio.
It won't handle great with a tire that tall, but it should stop better.

Edit: oh, I more thing. Unless you have 14s already, and want to keep them, avoid 14s like the plague.
It was actually a rear that locked up, I know I have work to do there. I do already have 14s, I think besides the skinny 195 size the tires are old and are a no name brand which is a big part of the prob. Decisions decisions, at least no real rush now, big thing was that DMV trip on that road. I’ll just putt on the slower roads until I get more repairs done.

215/70/14 was easy to parallel park with manual steering on a 67 Coronet.

Nothing wrong with 14's.

I have 225/70/14 on the front of my Satellite and it handles pretty good.
It has had 235/60/14 at one time.

You can adjust out some of the caster to make a manual steering car easier to turn.
Just don't take out so much that the wheel doesn't come back straight on it's own.

Just putting a cap on this thread for future searches. I ended up with 246/60 15s on the front and the big unexpected test was creeping behind the businesses at the strip mall where I fueled up and a delivery truck blocked the way so I had to do a 3 point turn and it was fine. A lot of revolutions of the wheel but low effort.

Here is a pic of the new tires and wheels because we all love pics

wheels.jpg

Manual steering is no problem with a standard trans, use the trans to rock the car a bit.

Gotta keep the car moving a little while turning. My 15yo grandson found that out last weekend!

Auto Transport Service
Back