• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When do you say no to repairing a tv today......

I am partial to Samsung higher end TV's. I have one of the last 8500 Plasma TV's that they made in 2012.
60". Something went POP! and it went out. Found the ONLY Mom & Pop repair store about twenty miles
away and they charged me $150.00 to fix it. The 60 year old repair guy said that the higher end TV's are
worth fixing most of the time, and the cheaper ones are throw-aways. I believe that I "lucked-out" and
yes, a bunch of cap's were bad and he found a bunch of loose connections. Who knows! One thing though,
they sell Samsung TV's at their store, so when one of my three 60" TV's go out I will be buying one from him
because he was fair with me! Oh, by the way, the TV originally cost me $2600.00.

Whatever you decide to do get yourself a good surge protector that has cable connections. Never plug a TV or other expensive electronics directly into a power outlet.

No matter what you pay for a TV, it will sell new for half that in a year or two.
I paid over $1000 for a 55 visio. Now it's $350. Or less.
Paid over $1000 for a Samsung 75", Now about $700
Currently watching a ball game on a 3yr old 65" off-brand with a perfectly adequate picture in my bedroom....... that I paid $209 for at a Walmart black friday sale.

If yours crapped out ten minutes after the warranty ran out, what makes you think it won't do it again, after it's fixed?
I'd shop for new.

We bought a "big" 46" Samsung LCD TV around 2006 or so. It was maybe a year removed from top of the line, so cheaper. It worked well for about 8 years, then the sound board took a dump. I hated the idea of tossing an otherwise good tv for just one problem, so I researched it and found a guy on ebay who would fix the board if I sent it to him. I removed it, sent it off, and he sent it back fixed. It cost around $100., I think. That TV lasted us another 8 or 9 years before it finally crapped out last year. We replaced it with a 65" OLED last summer.

Funny thing about this one getting fried was I had it, and its dvd, receiver and stuff plugged into an ups, uninterruptible power supply. The problem with most surge protector strips is they use a breaker to trip. This means power HAS to cross the breaker before it reacts to open the circuit. I understand the ups works as a trans former with an open air gap in the circuit. So why was the only thing I lost was the tv. I think the spike came in from the big yagi style antenna I use, I think it took a direct hit. I now have added additional grounds to the antenna pole itself, as well as house lightning arresters.
I never claim anything on my homeowners policy. Learned years ago you only want to claim a TOTAL loss, they ping you permanently for small claims.
My whole life Ive been maintenance guy, I fix broken, busted, worn out stuff. I spend money on fixing up old cars, now, old women and old dogs, simply cause they worth it to me. Now an old tv...hhhmmmnn, thanks for chiming in....

I'd like to see any car that has the price go down by very much for the next year's model. Did the last Challengers sell for half of the price when they came out in 2015?
If I bought it the price would drop by 50%. :rolleyes:

But anything with the Samsung name on it is something I'll stay away from......always!
Maybe these days.
Been using a Samsung since
2008. Not a hint of
problems, and it's lived thru
it's fair share of
thunderstorms.
In the OP's case, I think I'd
fix it while saving up for
a new one. Just about
everyone I know has at
least two.

You can fix it yourself. Parts are available online. I bought two boards and another part for my old TV for $60 and it was an ez repair...all plug and play.

No matter what you pay for a TV, it will sell new for half that in a year or two.
I paid over $1000 for a 55 visio. Now it's $350. Or less.
Paid over $1000 for a Samsung 75", Now about $700
Currently watching a ball game on a 3yr old 65" off-brand with a perfectly adequate picture in my bedroom....... that I paid $209 for at a Walmart black friday sale.

If yours crapped out ten minutes after the warranty ran out, what makes you think it won't do it again, after it's fixed?
I'd shop for new.
That's the bottom line!! No need to hear my stories, except, this is how it works. Bring it home, turn it on, watch it, it breaks, next. Repeat when needed. That the world we live in.

They can't even get a toaster right these days. After a MM to the left is to light and a MM to the right is next to burnt. The next step is me walking passed my wife headed for the trash can............ 3 years old and used a few dozen times, but man, was it pretty. Trash in, trash out!!

Last edited:
That's the bottom line!! No need to hear my stories, except, this is how it works. Bring it home, turn it on, watch it, it breaks, next. Repeat when needed. That the world we live in.

They can't even get a toaster right these days. After a MM to the left is to light and a MM to the right is next to burnt. The next step is me walking passed my wife headed for the trash can............ 3 years old and use a few dozen times, but man, was it pretty. Trash in, trash out!!
I'm picky about my toast. Toastmaster made in 1949 used almost daily. New AC cord is all that was needed to restore operation. Made in the USA.

IMG_20240601_060953780.jpg

I'm picky about my toast. Toastmaster made in 1949 used almost daily. New AC cord is all that was needed to restore operation. Made in the USA.

View attachment 1671951
Pretty cool. I had one just like that for decades. My family used to come over and I kept it w/a cover over it - but their delight was how flipping old it was. I think I might have gotten it from my x wife’s grandparents after passing. Eventually I did send it off to that. Toaster Heaven in the sky - but really - it’s “toast” what’s complicated about that…..Lol

View attachment 1671951
The one I got rid of was a wedding gift, 40 plus years ago. It's been down hill since
then.

Dennis H was pissed his toast oven mounted under cabinet died. It was perfect for his kitchen. I could read make and model and found the exact one on ebay looked brand new. He bought it. Ebay now is like looking in a store that put thing where it fits.

Auto Transport Service
Back