• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which license plate?

Aarons Air

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Regular non com license plates in Ohio have an anual renewal fee. With historical plates, in Ohio anyway, you pay a 1 time fee of $10 plus a tax of $21. And thats it. But, the downside is, youre only supposed to drive to car shows, events, parades, etc. Not for daily pleasure driving. I'm really curious how well that is obeyed or enforced ? How common is it for people with antique cars to buy hisorical, and drive where & whenever they wish. Has anyone ever been cited ?

In Pennsylvania I was told they don't enforce it unless an officer would see you driving it everyday. Especially to work or something along those lines. You don't suppose to be out after dark either but I was informed that as long as your lights are in good working order they probably won't bother you.

I registered my car as an Antique and found a historic tag (same year tag that was issued the year of the car). They don't know how the car is registered just by looking at it (Antique or Classic) because you can use the tag for either. The state issued tags have it spelled out right on them. The Classic has less restrictions than the Antique. There was about a three week waiting period on the tags approval.

The cops have bigger fish to fry. Unless you drive it everyday and everybody see's it, I really wouldn't worry about it. Good Luck

The cops have bigger fish to fry. Unless you drive it everyday and everybody see's it, I really wouldn't worry about it. Good Luck
Thats just it. I plan on driving the crap out of it, on days with nice weather. And mostly local. Our cars stick out like sore thumbs. I'm sure the local boys in blue will notice.

Thats just it. I plan on driving the crap out of it, on days with nice weather. And mostly local. Our cars stick out like sore thumbs. I'm sure the local boys in blue will notice.

If you do get pulled over, they'll probably just want to check it out! I wouldnt worry bout it too much. Just explain to the cop you love your car and want to drive it!

If you do get pulled over, they'll probably just want to check it out! I wouldnt worry bout it too much. Just explain to the cop you love your car and want to drive it!
Maybe i'm just paranoid. I built a lifted truck once. Had one state boy pull me over twice. He actually measured my bumper height & cited me.

I tag mine as a normal vehicle since I drive it more than just for car shows and such. My friend just got a ticket because he had his tagged with historical plates. Reason - he was driving the day after a show which was on the other side of the state. Him and his wife spent the night after the show and decided to come home on Sunday. Its a 4 hour drive. The cop told them they should have went home that evening. Personally, I thought the officer was being a jerk. I told our son who is a police officer to not ever do that. He knows I will verbally bitch slap him. I say tag it as a daily driver then you never have to worry.

Maybe i'm just paranoid. I built a lifted truck once. Had one state boy pull me over twice. He actually measured my bumper height & cited me.

Ya, completely different animal. They probably figured you would go and tear **** up with that truck. An old car is just for cruisin baby!

Ya, completely different animal. They probably figured you would go and tear **** up with that truck. An old car is just for cruisin baby!
Well,,, it would do some damage. Lol

20161120_160723.jpg

I tag mine as a normal vehicle since I drive it more than just for car shows and such. My friend just got a ticket because he had his tagged with historical plates. Reason - he was driving the day after a show which was on the other side of the state. Him and his wife spent the night after the show and decided to come home on Sunday. Its a 4 hour drive. The cop told them they should have went home that evening. Personally, I thought the officer was being a jerk. I told our son who is a police officer to not ever do that. He knows I will verbally bitch slap him. I say tag it as a daily driver then you never have to worry.

Gotta watch it with the insurance plating it like a normal car. My agent told me they could deny a claim. Or at least give you 'fair market value' which would be blue book and not a hagerty-like valuation.

2yrs & never pulled over yet. Have had more than a few cops stop to talk!!

Gotta watch it with the insurance plating it like a normal car. My agent told me they could deny a claim. Or at least give you 'fair market value' which would be blue book and not a hagerty-like valuation.
Oh ! Hadn't considered that. Thx.

Don't worry like the other guys say went for a drive. Or better yet headed to a shop for some repairs.as long as you are doing the law thing while driving it you should be fine.

Never mislead your insurance company etc. They look for reasons not to pay, in case of an accident. Don't give them one.

Like getting caught taking the tag on a matress
off.It says don't remove under penalty of law.
Just criuse & be happy.

Somebody told me this story. A few guys after a car show took their rides out to a restaurant to eat afterward. After dinner, they went out to find tickets on their "classic car" plated vehicles. As previously noted, in some states you're restricted to what you can drive. Only shows,events,etc. Evidently, eating out was not one of them.

When I lived in MN I tagged the car with a historical license and that was good forever at a cost of $25 one time fee. Then I moved to CA and go figure it’s just like licensing any other car. You get no benefit from being a classic except you don’t have to smog it regularly like other cars. As far as driving it in MN it was supposedly for shows and cruising etc - not daily use. But as far as I could tell no one ever cared. My Ins company wants to know my approximate usage but I don’t have any restrictions. I think I always put down about 2500 miles per year. Don’t even drive it that much. Don’t bs your insurance company if you want your claims paid

Somebody told me this story. A few guys after a car show took their rides out to a restaurant to eat afterward. After dinner, they went out to find tickets on their "classic car" plated vehicles. As previously noted, in some states you're restricted to what you can drive. Only shows,events,etc. Evidently, eating out was not one of them.
That cop must have been a real Dick head.....

Auto Transport Service
Back