• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which license plate?

Seen junker rice burners with antique plates at the mall. $50 max property tax. Don't think its enfored much, if at all.
Yes those bumper height laws will get you. Would need a crane or a staircase to get me in that truck.

So, if i have regular plates- no chance of tickets. But for insurance companies to cover it at a higher value, i need histori
Seen junker rice burners with antique plates at the mall. $50 max property tax. Don't think its enfored much, if at all.
Yes those bumper height laws will get you. Would need a crane or a staircase to get me in that truck.
Hired a boom truck to set the cab in place. ( not to get off topic )

20180728_124835.jpg

Sorry. Having trouble posting. What i started to ask was, about insurance companies. Their coverage value amount & how different plates could affect them paying.

Gotta watch it with the insurance plating it like a normal car. My agent told me they could deny a claim. Or at least give you 'fair market value' which would be blue book and not a hagerty-like valuation.
So with a ( normal ) tag, insurance co's use that as an out - to not pay much ?

Didn't make a difference to Condon-Skelly. Mileage was their limit, I don't think they even asked me on renewal form, not positive.

Sorry. Having trouble posting. What i started to ask was, about insurance companies. Their coverage value amount & how different plates could affect them paying.

I don’t think the plating per se impacts the insurance paying their claims. It’s the amount of driving you say you do if there are restrictions on your policy. If you say you only drive it for shows, events etc And then you had an accident while driving back and forth from work or 100 miles from your residence they’re going to question that. They have to pay in accordance with your contract or policy. I don’t have any restrictions on mine except racing and The like. You need to be aware of what was put on the application and what your policy says. Mine is fairly unrestricted - I did tell them I only drive about 2500 per year. If I had an accident and had put on 5k that point in the year they’re going to question me. Don’t give them any reason to question you. I’m a retired (33 years) insurance industry guy. I know,the drill.

In Ct you can't get antique plates unless car is 25 years old.

Every state is different. In Mass it must be 25 years or older, cannot be your principle commuting vehicle, and can only be used to go to and from events of public interest, of for the purpose of testing or repairing.

The last bit is what helps me as I'm always testing and repairing...

You should read this:

https://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/custom-vehicle-registration

Gotta watch it with the insurance plating it like a normal car. My agent told me they could deny a claim. Or at least give you 'fair market value' which would be blue book and not a hagerty-like valuation.

Thats what I also thought at first but then I called Hagerty who I use, and he said it would not be a problem as long as it wasn't doing drag racing or something silly. So far no issues.....yet

Every state is different. In Mass it must be 25 years or older, cannot be your principle commuting vehicle, and can only be used to go to and from events of public interest, of for the purpose of testing or repairing.

The last bit is what helps me as I'm always testing and repairing...

You should read this:

https://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/custom-vehicle-registration
You know,,, i think i will be doing a lot of testing & reparing also ! Lol

Here in IL they have something called 'extended use antique.' Basically, you can drive it whenever and wherever. And it increases the cruising season by 3 months! For an extra fee of course...

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/antiqueexpand.html
And here is the difference between the EA plates MarPar posted and the cheaper AV plates.
I went with the AV plates and have yet to be stopped to check if I where going to a show or for maintenance. Police are not aware of every show or cruise night so it's VERY doubtful you'll ever get stopped. I would not worry about it.

Most cops typically don't know the laws about historic, classic, or antique tags. In central Ohio, throughout the summer, there's shows and cruise-ins just about every day. Plus, you could always say that you rotated the tires or changed spark plugs or oil and "test driving" it. Most of us keep our oil changed and super clean, so it always looks fresh. Lol

I've got state farm for insurance. They only asked an average of miles per year. They were more concerned about how and where it was parked and garaged or stored.

I'm really curious how well that is obeyed or enforced ? [/QUOTE
This is a nice (privilege) we have with collector plate, don't ruin it for everyone by putting them on a daily driver just cause it's old. But, yes you can have them and use your car for daily leasure drives. They're just not intended for your everyday driver that you use for chores and work. And if you do get caught the fine and penalty is very stiff. Remember the Ohio State Patrols are pricks now a days. So take your chances I guess. As others stated, If you have classic plates on your vehicle you better have insurance that covers the appropriate use of what it's plated for. Plates say no drive to work, you get accident driving to work, are you covered ????

OH71RRunner, our Ohio State Patrol are VERY knowledgeable on the traffic and plate laws. It's all they do. I know a few Staties and they know their stuff.

I'm really curious how well that is obeyed or enforced ? [/QUOTE
This is a nice (privilege) we have with collector plate, don't ruin it for everyone by putting them on a daily driver just cause it's old. But, yes you can have them and use your car for daily leasure drives. They're just not intended for your everyday driver that you use for chores and work. And if you do get caught the fine and penalty is very stiff. Remember the Ohio State Patrols are pricks now a days. So take your chances I guess. As others stated, If you have classic plates on your vehicle you better have insurance that covers the appropriate use of what it's plated for. Plates say no drive to work, you get accident driving to work, are you covered ????
No need for concern. I promise not to use my freshly restored 68 coronet, that i've spent thousands of hours & dollars on, as a chore truck. And "ruin " things for everyone. Ha ha.

Auto Transport Service
Back