• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whimsical Interiors-Does anyone have one?

Dooner

Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone stepped off the "EXACT ORIGINAL" train and decided to go with a non-original interior in there B-body?

Example: I saw a 63 or 64 Savoy (I think), that had an original style seat upholstery, but was done in material colors that was not so original. It looked like orange vinyl and orange plaid cloth. Kinda looked cool.

I thought I may do something similar by staying with the same seat pattern, but use some slightly whimsical material patterns. I have a 4dr, so why be correct.

Photos please.

Harold

Late B bodies have a flat, boring gauge panel, the curvey swerve-y days ended in 1974. Most have bad woodgrain, a few had an "engine-turned" finish. I painted mine with a copper hammer-tone finish. Then, because I thought the color was a little to rose-y, I airbrushed some darker "corrosion" around the gauge openings. When I added toggle switches I put on chrome extensions (big-rigger stuff) to the toggles, but sanded them slightly with 1500 grit to let some of the pre-chrome copper plating show through. There's also some exposed allen-head fasteners and even a few exposed wing nuts where I added gauges (was shooting for an aircraft vibe). I guess its more "patina" than whimsical....but I am considering a no-****-Huggy-Bear animal print insert on my seats when I get em done. How's THAT fer whimsy?

That's what I am talking about. Something out of the normal. Do you have any pics of the bear print? I'd love to see it.

I'm going to look in your album to see if you have pics of the gauge panel. I want to see that too.

- - - Updated - - -

There were no pics! Can we get some pics please?!

Ostrich skin has been real popular, lately...

If you like the inside of your car to look like a de-scaled salmon...

I'm sorry, I guess I'm showing my age...Huggy-Bear was the name of the mac-daddy pimp/informant played by Tim Reid on the old Starsky & Hutch cop drama. Being a 70s mac daddy pimpin' type of fella, he always had a big furry hat, a walking stick, and a Cadillac with some type of animal print upholstery. Personally, I'm leaning more towards black vinyl with a more subtle cheetah or leopard print insert, maybe upholstery grade microfiber. I have a rough time getting pics up, but I'll try again.

HUGGYBEAR! What the heck is the matter with me. Yes, I remember the cars and the animal skins. And his purple velvet suit. That is awesome. That's what I'd like to see. Pics of "out of the box" interiors from people who don't care about all original.

I was thinking that my inserts would be a print you would see on an old antique chair or sofa. Just something different. I want it to be mine. I'm not worried about resell value. It's a 4dr, and I don't plan on letting it go till they PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!! LOL!

I knew a cat that was doing a minor restoration of his early 60s (I think. This was a while back) Mercedes-Benz. The interior was white leather and the seats/door panels had inserts that were black tapestry (brocade?) embroidered in red, white, gold-yellow patterns. Hard to explain, and I don't remember the exact pattern cuz this was maybe 20 yrs ago. What I do remember clearly is that I thought it was pretty damn cool, very different, and that he was determined to find some NOS fabric.

Here is Jon's Instruments. Pretty cool, I think. I like the shading around the gauges. Great job.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Thanks, Harold. Where'd ya find those? I finally got Photobucket to give me access to my acct just today. I'd forgotten my password and it took em awhile to verify that I was who I said I was (I am). Now I just gotta remember how to post pics.

The big empty hole is there waiting for me to find/install a factory or otherwise suitable tach. The one I have fits, but doesn't look "right" in there so it sits low and to the left. The wood wheel is a vintage piece given to me by a good friend, so I'll probably keep it forever in one vehicle or another.

I guess everyone is too serious about there Mopars to have custom interiors that don't look like factory stock.

One of these days, when I get that far in my build (hope to be done on my 50th b-day), I will show you some resto-mod interior. Till then, you'll just have to sit on the edge of your seats!

LOL!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Harold. Where'd ya find those? I finally got Photobucket to give me access to my acct just today. I'd forgotten my password and it took em awhile to verify that I was who I said I was (I am). Now I just gotta remember how to post pics.

The big empty hole is there waiting for me to find/install a factory or otherwise suitable tach. The one I have fits, but doesn't look "right" in there so it sits low and to the left. The wood wheel is a vintage piece given to me by a good friend, so I'll probably keep it forever in one vehicle or another.

Almost forgot,

Thanks for the pics man. I am digging that cockpit look. Hope you keep going with that look throughout the whole interior. Even with the Huggy Bear animal skins. LOL!

Look Dooner do what you want but no need to act like there is something wrong with people who like original cars. There are plenty of folks here who change things up but maybe not to your whimsical standards so focus on and discuss whatever you want but cut the sarcasm to those that aren't into it if you don't mind

Look Dooner do what you want but no need to act like there is something wrong with people who like original cars. There are plenty of folks here who change things up but maybe not to your whimsical standards so focus on and discuss whatever you want but cut the sarcasm to those that aren't into it if you don't mind

It wasn't sarcasm. Just want to bring out these people that you say "who change things up", and get some photos going. I don't care if someone wants it totally factory stock, there has to be someone out there that decided to go a little different, and I would like to see it.

But thanks for buzzing in.

Auto Transport Service
Back