• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

1718508679653.png

For some reason, MOPAR fans are posting photos of WWII air to ground attack aircraft. Good! The photo of the F-86 with 6 50 cal firing is spectacular. the later Canadair Sabre, or F-86H had a bigger engine and 4x 20mm cannon, same M-39 as the later F-100 Super Sabre that I flew from '64-79, 2200 hours total. When in /Nam they put a switch so you could fire only 2 of the 4 cannon at a time. If firing all 4, the rate of fire was the same as the Gatling gun, around 100 rounds per second. Paradoxically, the 4 guns gave a better chance of an air to air kill, because there was an inherent scatter of the HEI rounds, (High Explosive Incendiary). With the GE gun, all the bullets were singe file: multi hits or none. The last time I ever shot a gun was in Japan, 1988, against a predictable Tow Target: at "cleared to fire" from a head-on pass, the tow target jet started a 2G descending turn. The shooter, me, had 90 sec to maneuver and get a hit. I think i took around 40-50sec, fired the shortest burst, 13 rounds, and got a "hit'. More fun than any of y'all can have on Earth!!!!

For some reason, MOPAR fans are posting photos of WWII air to ground attack aircraft. Good! The photo of the F-86 with 6 50 cal firing is spectacular. the later Canadair Sabre, or F-86H had a bigger engine and 4x 20mm cannon, same M-39 as the later F-100 Super Sabre that I flew from '64-79, 2200 hours total. When in /Nam they put a switch so you could fire only 2 of the 4 cannon at a time. If firing all 4, the rate of fire was the same as the Gatling gun, around 100 rounds per second. Paradoxically, the 4 guns gave a better chance of an air to air kill, because there was an inherent scatter of the HEI rounds, (High Explosive Incendiary). With the GE gun, all the bullets were singe file: multi hits or none. The last time I ever shot a gun was in Japan, 1988, against a predictable Tow Target: at "cleared to fire" from a head-on pass, the tow target jet started a 2G descending turn. The shooter, me, had 90 sec to maneuver and get a hit. I think i took around 40-50sec, fired the shortest burst, 13 rounds, and got a "hit'. More fun than any of y'all can have on Earth!!!!
I was born in Germany but the pacific war has always fascinated me. Read everything about it and watched every documentary. The Corsair has always been my favorite.

Auto Transport Service
Back