• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will rear speakers be enough to enjoy stereo?

Dibbons

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
I see two holes: 8 1/2" X 5 3/4" (passenger side) and 7" x 4 7/8" driver side) pre-made in the package shelf of my 72 SSP project car. Don't want to make additional holes in the front doors for speakers. My question is, has anyone set-up a stereo that only uses the package shelf speakers? Are they too far away to boost the sound forward? If I do rely on only those two, I would probably box them so the sound waves don't empty into the trunk. Want to keep the stock AM radio and front speaker as it came from the factory. Will need to "hide" this second unit somewhere else. Thank you.

Attachments

• package shelf speaker.JPG
    package shelf speaker.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Last edited:
That was the norm in the late 60's through the 70's.....just depends on what your definition of enjoyment is :D With the right speakers and stereo, the sound wasn't bad. And try them without the boxes to see how it sounds. Sometimes the trunk helps out. Make sure you phase the speakers so they don't cancel each other out. That's probably the biggest mistake most make....

will not sound like "todays" systems....need punch, and power:icon_sunny:

But could be ok for some

You will find the left opening is smaller than the right side, with additional mounting holes for 6x9” speakers. With some amplification a good set of 6x9s will work fine. May want to consider some decent 3 ½” mid/tweeters under dash speaker grille to improve staging. After the jute pad and package self are installed, shouldn’t need to worry about boxing in the rear speakers.

will not sound like "todays" systems....need punch, and power:icon_sunny:

But could be ok for some
Right. More speakers usually always sound better. Used to always have a decent stereo in my cars but in the last 20 years or so, it's mostly a distraction to me now. Heck, when I bought my Belvedere sedan 25 years ago, it had a radio delete plate and no evidence that it ever had an aftermarket system in it and I left it that way. Was happy just listening to the car....

You will find the left opening is smaller than the right side, with additional mounting holes for 6x9” speakers. With some amplification a good set of 6x9s will work fine. May want to consider some decent 3 ½” mid/tweeters under dash speaker grille to improve staging. After the jute pad and package self are installed, shouldn’t need to worry about boxing in the rear

speakers.

I did the same install on mine with a new radio from Antique Aoutomobile Radio,Inc. image.jpg
Works great! A little expensive though.

6x9's with 2 hidden" tweeters up front work for me.

I've got a very simple system in my car that sounds great, 2-6x9s in the package tray and 2-6 1/2s in the console and a small amp in the trunk. Stereos are one thing where you get what you pay for so I bought all Polk speakers, plenty of bass and a nice clear sound. To answer your question I really think you need 4 speakers in these big cars but more because of the range, rears providing more mids and bass and fronts providing mids and treble.

Thanks for pointing out the different size speaker perforations--weird.

That's because they are not speaker holes. :) Our cars came with AM radios, which had one front and one rear speaker. The other hole is for a rear defroster fan that was an option. That's why the holes are not the same size.

You can make the defroster hole bigger, or just mount the speakers under the tray.

As for front speakers, I've always put mine in by cutting holes in the kick panels. There are a LOT of used kick panels on ebay for $25 or so, so if you don't want to cut your originals ones, get some used ones and cut them.

By 1974 FM stereo was a pretty popular option.

My 74 had it and so does my 72.

Some factory radios even had 4 amplifier sections.

Not sure what they did about the 4th speaker, though as Bru states the 5x8 hole was designed for a defroster blower motor plate.

I've found a 6x9 will bolt in to that hole, but I'm sure there are technical wave reflection issues the audio purists will point out.

You can get some heavy magnets and lots of response, efficiency and power handling in a 6x9.

I'm a big fan of stereo separation, so both L and R in the middle of the dash doesn't really work for me.

I'd go either a second set of kick panels (green ones are cheap) or smaller (like 1 inch) surface mount tweets on the dash top or A pillar cover.

Stereo was an option, but if his car doesn't have the holes for the stereo speakers, his came with the AM radio.

Have to disagree a bit, while a true stereo dual speaker package shelf configuration was never offered in this time period, they are stamped to be used first as speaker mountings. They are standard 5x7” & 6x9” speaker dimensions, with the left side stamped to accept both sizes. The rear defrost fan option components are designed to fit an unused speaker opening. There was a spacer available for the fan intake that would allow the sharing of one opening for both a speaker and defroster if needed. Not uncommon to find factory speaker provisions in package trays dating back into the early sixties where a full factory speaker option didn’t exist.
AM & AM/FM mono radios could be ordered with an optional rear speaker and dash mounted fader control. It was a single 5x7” mounted on the left side. AM/FM stereo optional radio, used this same single 5x7” speaker mounted on the left side for the right channel and the single 4x10” dash mount speaker as the left channel. Balance control acted as the front to rear fader adjustment, not a true stereo layout. Every defroster option I’ve seen, or installed working at dealers back then, went in the right side opening. Never saw a factory 6x9” speaker option on any platform back then.

- - - Updated - - -

By 1974 FM stereo was a pretty popular option.

My 74 had it and so does my 72.

Some factory radios even had 4 amplifier sections.
There were no four channel radios from the factory thru ’74. All optional stereo radios were single 5x7” speaker in the rear and a 4x10” in the dash.
Agree, central mounted dual speaker don’t provide much separation, in my case it’s compromise, don’t want to cut anything. I attempted to angle the 3 ½” outwards as much as possible hoping to separate the reflection from the windshield as much as possible. Kick panel locations are not much better for good separation either.

Not sure what they did about the 4th speaker, though as Bru states the 5x8 hole was designed for a defroster blower motor plate.

I've found a 6x9 will bolt in to that hole, but I'm sure there are technical wave reflection issues the audio purists will point out.

You can get some heavy magnets and lots of response, efficiency and power handling in a 6x9.

I'm a big fan of stereo separation, so both L and R in the middle of the dash doesn't really work for me.

I'd go either a second set of kick panels (green ones are cheap) or smaller (like 1 inch) surface mount tweets on the dash top or A pillar cover.

There were no four channel radios from the factory thru ’74. All optional stereo radios were single 5x7” speaker in the rear, mounted to the left, and a 4x10” in the dash.
Agree, central mounted dual speakers doesn’t provide much separation, in my case it’s compromise, don’t want to cut anything. I attempted to angle the 3 ½” outwards as much as possible hoping to separate the reflection from the windshield as much as possible. Kick panel locations are not much better for good separation either.

Defroster mounted to the right side 6x9" speaker mounting on these cars;

Last edited:
Very interesting, I've never seen one of those until now.... learn something new everyday.

Yep, even the Satellite/Roadrunner Brochures from then, show that if you had an AM/FM stereo or AM/FM stereo with cassette stereo option, it standard to only get the single rear speaker, never duals in the rear. However, even with just an AM or AM/FM radio, the single rear speaker was still an available option.

I have two 6X9's in boxes sitting on my back seat and they give me plenty of sound. Even though my car is a 4door, nobody sits back there anyway. I can just unplug them and stick them in the trunk when I go to shows. I'm going to put them in the package tray when I do the interior next spring. I've had them like that in a few cars back in the day and wasn't really bothered by it.

Tweeter glued under right side of dash. Amazing difference.

image.jpg

a good amp, good quality speakers sound great, adding the dual speakers in the front dash = awesome!

20150409_094107_zpsi65m6qhd.jpg

frontspeakers_zps0a882bfa.jpg

I mount 2 3 way speakers back there and power them with a simple ti path integrated, like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A...ass-t+hi-fi+audio+amplifier+with+power+supply

Then just plug my phone into it, I put oem radios in the dashes where they are supposed to be but I don't hook them up. Its simple, doesn't pull much power, easily loud enough to hear, and sounds good, if you think you are going to get good quality sound in a car, you are delusional, but I am spoiled. As far as having multiple speakers, 2 is plenty for stereo, lol...

Auto Transport Service
Back