• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will topcoat stick to EDP coating........

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
Guys, I got front and rear valence panels I am ready to put on. The car is to be a daily driver and was shoddly painted with a flat black many , many years ago and I am leaving that patina look as is. But feel i need to put some top coat on these EDP coated repops. Will the topcoat stick to scuffed up edp or has it GOT to be primered first....thanks....

If it is in fact, EDP coating, you must prime it with an epoxy or 2k primer. The EDP coating has no barrier properties!

I always scuff and epoxy prime first. Why take a chance I figure.

If your going to epoxy anyway, at least remove the questionable EDP from the outsides of the panel.

Got it, thanks. I do have some epoxy primer left, but I thought the edp was a great moisture barrier, so the part doesn't rust just sitting.

I would remove the edp coating.
I can say that my quarters had slight surface rust piping through in a few areas. Granted they were in my garage exposed to humidity but still who would think that would happen.
I am not reliing on a coating designed to resist rust for the short term. And risk the time and money spent for paint

I would remove the edp coating.
I can say that my quarters had slight surface rust piping through in a few areas. Granted they were in my garage exposed to humidity but still who would think that would happen.
I am not reliing on a coating designed to resist rust for the short term. And risk the time and money spent for paint

Heres a spot on my new quarter panel.
94133635-E48D-4A72-A255-1EE00455D91D.jpeg

Sand the E-coat with 320. Blemishes like the one in the picture, feather out. Etch any bare metal , seal and paint done.

No need for epoxy.

Have been doing this at the shop I work at for over 10 years. We offer a lifetime warranty on all new parts. Honestly can't think of any come back for anything to do with E-coat failure. There are about 1000+ cars threw the shop each year.

Auto Transport Service
Back