• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield gasket glue

erikcroissant

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the adhesive I should use to attach the windshield gasket to the frame? Any other tips and tricks are also appreciated…

Not adhesive but sealant. 3M used to have a pumpable butyl sealant but I don’t think they have it anymore, or at least I can’t find it.

Year. Make. Model
3m bedding and glazing
Sika 714
Cr Laurence crl7708

Not adhesive but sealant. 3M used to have a pumpable butyl sealant but I don’t think they have it anymore, or at least I can’t find it.
Yes...this was the good stuff.....3M product called windshield adhesive/sealant. Sort of a greenish gray color euphemistically called "GORILLA SNOT"....worked extremely well.....just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

I'm getting ready to install my 68 Charger windshield with the rubber seal using nylon trim tools and a spray bottle with dish soap. I couldn't find the 3M windshield bedding and glazing compound referenced above, so I'll be using the C.R. Laurence CRL7708 CRL Windshield and Body Sealant. This looks like a decent replacement for the 3M product that wasn't available. I ordered this off Amazon for $12.

I'm gonna lay a 3/8" bead on the lower windshield channel where the cowl meets the dash, then apply the sealant lightly on the top part of the pinch weld, install the rubber gasket, then press the glass into the bottom part of the rubber gasket, lip it over and work my way from the bottom to the top.

CRL7708_12501.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to install my 68 Charger windshield/rubber seal using nylon trim tools and a spray bottle with dish soap. I couldn't find the 3M windshield bedding and glazing compound, so I'll be using the C.R. Laurence CRL7708 CRL Windshield and Body Sealant. This looks like a decent replacement for the 3M product that wasn't available. I ordered this off Amazon for $12.

I'm gonna lay a 3/8" bead on the lower windshield channel where the cowl meets the dash, then apply the sealant lightly on the top part of the pinch weld, install the rubber gasket, then put the glass in the bottom, lip it over and lock it in from the bottom up.

View attachment 1721752
3M might have discontinued the 08509 Bedding and Glazing compound since nobody has it in stock. The last tube I got was from Advance Auto Parts.

Just use the common butyl "rope" (about 3/8 diameter thick) we've all used over the years. This is the product used by windshield installers for nearly 50 years to adhere front and back glass to the car.

I tend to overthink things. So, don't overthink this. Just use what everyone else in the industry uses.

This is an inexpensive product. Most automotive glass businesses and auto parts stores will be able to sell you the butyl rope for super cheap. $10 is too much.

Modern-day alternatives include urethane "rope" and may work just as well as the dino-butyl. But if you can find the butyl, I recommend that over the urethane.

Acetone cleans up the sticky very nicely.

68 charger uses a rubber gasket for the windshield , you need something that pumps. Butyl rope would be for the backglass. 5/16, maybe 1/4 for that.

Update: Before I installed the rubber gasket with the sealant, I did a dry fit and installed the gasket and tucked the windshield in until it was all sealed. I used a 50/50 mix of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. The nylon trim tools worked excellent! I then ran the hose with water over the windshield and it leaked very badly on the bottom, esp in the corners. There was also a moderate leak on the top of windshield dripping down from the roof on the inside. No way you could install that windshield dry (without sealant) without it leaking. I then removed the windshield and gasket. Over the weekend, I did the install again but this time put a 3/8 bead of sealant on the bottom and put sealant around the entire pinch weld. I installed the rubber seal and slid the windshield into the bottom groove in the gasket and worked my way up to the top and lipped over the rubber gasket. It turned out nice. Next day, I ran the hose over the windshield again and this time got smaller leaks in each corner and one leak by the top of the glove box. I think the water is coming in where the windshield fits into the rubber gasket. My plan is to use the sealant between the rubber gasket and the glass and do the water test again.

Be damned if I'd attempt what you did. Putting glass in once without breaking it is enough fun for me.

You sure it's the windshield leaking and not a rotted lower cowl into the vent box...

Be damned if I'd attempt what you did. Putting glass in once without breaking it is enough fun for me.

You sure it's the windshield leaking and not a rotted lower cowl into the vent box...
I know! The first time was a pain, but I learned how to do it and 2nd time was much easier (and I'm doing this by myself). With regards to the leaks, after I took the windshield out, I tested for leaks at the cowl, the bottom windshield channel and wiper pivots. Everything was solid except I found the driver side wiper pivot leaking so I fixed that with some butyl tape and it sealed great! I still have leaks on bottom windshield corners on both sides. I'm gonna lift up that top lip and put sealant between it and the glass. Bet that fixes the leaks.

20240909_144156.jpg

20240909_144106.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you know this. But looking at your picture. The outside flap of the gasket tucks under the outside inner portion to compress it against the glass for a seal.

Maybe you know this. But looking at your picture. The outside flap of the gasket tucks under the outside inner portion to compress it against the glass for a seal.
No, I did not know that. But that makes sense. This is the first windshield I've ever installed and the youtube videos I watched left that part out. I thought it looked kinda unfinished.
So the outter part tucks underneath. Hmmmm..... I need to do that and do another leak test. Appreciate the helpful info. Thank you so much! This is why I love this site!

59 was right. The rubber gasket needs to be tucked in. I did a water test and the leaks are gone. I probably would have figured this out when I installed the chrome molding but knowing this now was very helpful. See the pictures for how the flap tucks into the gasket.

20240910_095533.jpg

20240910_095536.jpg

20240910_105455.jpg

Nice! Glad you have it solved. Why the members restoration section is worth a week of your time just browsing through it.

Auto Transport Service
Back