• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won't stop cranking

azblackhemi

Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
I'm working on a 63 Fury Wagon with a 318 poly. It continues to crank for a couple of seconds after it starts and I let go of the key. I've changed the starter, starter relay, ballast resistor and the ignition switch. What else can I check?

The starter itself.
When you turn the key and energize the starter relay it energizes an electromagnet in the starter which "kick's out the shaft with the starting gear".
On one end of this shaft is a ring which then energizes the starter motor itself.
This is why there is a smaller wire and battery primary cable on the starter.
Try taking off the inspection cover and getting some lubricant on the shaft and on the nose bushing on the end.
Cycle is quickly a few times and see if it helps.
But if it's been run dry for too long the curved splines which make it rotate as it kicks out will get worn and sometimes to the point where that shaft requires replacement.

The starter itself.
When you turn the key and energize the starter relay it energizes an electromagnet in the starter which "kick's out the shaft with the starting gear".
On one end of this shaft is a ring which then energizes the starter motor itself.
This is why there is a smaller wire and battery primary cable on the starter.
Try taking off the inspection cover and getting some lubricant on the shaft and on the nose bushing on the end.
Cycle is quickly a few times and see if it helps.
But if it's been run dry for too long the curved splines which make it rotate as it kicks out will get worn and sometimes to the point where that shaft requires replacement.
So I have 2 starters doing the exact same thing?

Check for damaged teeth on the flywheel?
That's all I've got.

Check for damaged teeth on the flywheel?
That's all I've got.
I thought about the flywheel but it does it every time so all the teeth would have to be damaged. I may try a 3rd starter just because it wouldn't be impossible to have 2 bad ones.

If it's an automatic pull the inspection cover and check the teeth.
Not a tough thing to do.

What is the condition of the bulk-head and connections? Any indication of overheating, loose contacts? This may not be the problem, just something easy to check in the hunt, especially the ignition wire. I had some hassles though not exactly what you’re describing and part of it was assuming connections were tight, looking tight, when they weren’t.

What is the condition of the bulk-head and connections? Any indication of overheating, loose contacts? This may not be the problem, just something easy to check in the hunt, especially the ignition wire. I had some hassles though not exactly what you’re describing and part of it was assuming connections were tight, looking tight, when they weren’t.
Yes early on I did check and clean the bulkhead connections. Thanks.

It sounds like the starter gear is meshing too tightly with the converter teeth.... not letting go.
could be an alignment issue.
Try loosening/re-tightening all the bell housing bolts with the trans supported on a jack.

Auto Transport Service
Back