• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woodward Avenue

Another huge disappointment. I go for the cars of course. Most of all the cool cars are parked all week long including me. Almost nothing but newer cars, mini vans and pickup trucks actually cruisin (or should I say, just in the way).

You guys should give Back To The Bricks in Flint a try. Been going for the past 11 years. I don't do Woodward anymore for reasons you said above. Each year I hear that same story more and more.

Way more fighting and accidents this year than I ever remember also.
People know when the Dream Cruise happens. People know it's gonna be a 'slow moving parking lot' all day. If those folks can't handle the crowds and all the traffic, then I guess they shouldn't go, but they feel the need.

Another huge disappointment. I go for the cars of course. Most of all the cool cars are parked all week long including me. Almost nothing but newer cars, mini vans and pickup trucks actually cruisin (or should I say, just in the way).
I live 5 miles from it and won't go there.... the gratiot cruise is actually better to me.. i'm not much of a cruise guy though, used to actually do gratiot and woodward decades ago, now it's just money money and kinda boring (to me)

I follow the twisted axle car club on Facebook, they had a couple of good videos and pictures of some pretty nice cars cruising. Guess it depends on where

Have some friends that belong to the Twisted Axle gang.

I've lived in the general area for over 60 years. I've had awesome MOPARs for over 45 years, yet I've never been to the cruise. I do the ones on Gratiot.

I was invited to go to Woodward this year, but between the threatening weather on Saturday, and the fact that my parking/display spot would cost $35, I declined. Whatever happened to free? (I know the answer...)

Thanx for the replies. I went in 07 and again in 17; was scheduled to go this year but things happened. I remember 07 being MUCH better than 17 - which is true across the spectrum of existence imnsho - and assumed it had gone downhill some more. Tried listening to 'live' stuff on WOMC, which was painful; 45 minutes of commercials an hour, two songs and 'on the scene' reporting from reporters/DJs that obviously knew absolutely NOTHING about cars, the history, or even seemingly the event... Checked the NWS hourly or more to 'keep an eye on the sky'.
Have a very good friend from the area. Every few years he throws a big get together/party the Saturday evening of the Cruise. He stays extremely busy prepping for that, so I didnt call him to see what was happening during the event/his prep, but his immediate indications were similar to Mr 6PKRTSE...and he's an upbeat, optimistic kind of guy. A shame it is as it used to be quite the event.

Vernon Texas does a nostalgia cruise, suppose to be nothing newer than 78. Same thing, I’ve probably gone 4 times and each year it got worse and worse, new cars, new diesel trucks “rolling coal.” It just got stupid.

Vernon Texas does a nostalgia cruise, suppose to be nothing newer than 78. Same thing, I’ve probably gone 4 times and each year it got worse and worse, new cars, new diesel trucks “rolling coal.” It just got stupid.
I've watched the same trend with the events in my area. The organizers of the largest one (Bellefonte, PA, which has been discussed on this site) got smart, and eliminated the cruising event for the show cars, as the late model stuff became more common. They have an open cruise the night before, which I don't attend. The recent addition of prime parking for the old geezers like me, whose cars were actually there prior to 1977, has helped maintain the participation of 50s, 60s, and 70s vehicles.

I've watched the same trend with the events in my area. The organizers of the largest one (Bellefonte, PA, which has been discussed on this site) got smart, and eliminated the cruising event for the show cars, as the late model stuff became more common. They have an open cruise the night before, which I don't attend. The recent addition of prime parking for the old geezers like me, whose cars were actually there prior to 1977, has helped maintain the participation of 50s, 60s, and 70s vehicles.
Even power tour is getting that way.

Power Tour is ridiculous.
[caveat - I havent been in years, so it may have gotten better, but I doubt it...]
The very first Power Tour was an invitation only deal for ProStreet cars. But the first few actual 'tours' open to the public were pretty neat. Soon tho, it became a rolling trade show. I 'worked' the first 3 as they came thru the area of my residence at the time. Lotta fun, lotta cool cars, good organisation but not TOO 'organised'. Then it became a rolling trade show only, with little to no provision for the actual participants or their needs, such as a place to park your car at the stops. Several local constabulary began using it for 'hunting season' also, tho it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Stopping people for some idiotic arcane motor vehicle reg that was a technicality in their area and quite 'legal' in the cars home state. BS 'traffic offences' that they knew the hapless oppressed motorist wouldnt drive back to fight in court, etc. After talking to some participants at length - those going the whole route - including a couple of Aussies - the tales of headache needlessly caused, quite frankly by organisational priorities/faux pas', kinda put me off the whole thing.
I can only imagine the monstrous organisational/logistical nightmare that an ordeal like the Dream Cruise or the Power Tour would be, but I think that losing sight of what the event are about and who it is FOR have pretty much ruined them both.
jmho, ymmv.

{EDIT... thought I should add that Im the most capitalistic guy here, and I understand that w/o many of the manufacturers, we/our hobby would be in trouble and that they deserve a venue to advertise their wares. I certainly do not begrudge them that. Nor do I fail to appreciate their monetary (and time) investment. Its just that if you want a trade show, go to SEMA. At the last Power Tour I attended, it was ALL about the manufacturer displays; participants had little place to park at designated stops and dozens, nay maybe hundreds, sat on the side of the road for over an hour whilst all the trucks got parked and the displays set up... These types of events are for the people and their cool old cars. Want to sponsor it for advertising and goodwill? Fine. Great. Even set up some [smallish] displays along the way. But these events have become one big ad campaign in my opinion and really take the joy out. I know that the organisers of the Dream Cruise really cant control who drives up and down the road, and those with nice cars are often hesitant to get them out and mix it up with 'normal' traffic bouncing along texting on their 'phones' and taking pictures. I get it it. Its a conundrum and its a shame...}

Last edited:
I did the Dream Cruise in 2018. I had fun but it was a lot of new cars and Minivans. I was in a Alfa Romeo and it got quite a few looks. Anyway the big event where I live is the Cruising the Coast in Mississippi. a whole week of bumper to bumper fun.

I did the Dream Cruise in 2018. I had fun but it was a lot of new cars and Minivans. I was in a Alfa Romeo and it got quite a few looks. Anyway the big event where I live is the Cruising the Coast in Mississippi. a whole week of bumper to bumper fun.
Of course you got lotsa looks; you were in an Alfa!
Henry Ford himself said that 'Each time I see an Alfa Romeo, I tip my hat.'
[the quote may not be EXACT - didnt look it up before I typed, but its close and you get the idea...]

Interesting subject, the event was on my short list of bucket list items
when dad's gone & I can travel again, not feel guilty...
Maybe I need to change the list...

Roadkill Nights is another one, I need to do/see once
I've heard bad about it too, won't go there here...

The "Eastern US's" Power Tour/Hot Rod event, does nothing for me
too far & not enough enters for me to spend $10k-$20k to do it...

I wish I was closer so I could complain about it, see 1st hand
I haven't been to any big cruises, big muscle car events, since like 2007,
not in my classic car anyway...

Last edited:
I used to cruise and street race on Woodward and Telegraph in the early 60's. Haven't repeated since. My youngest son is a retired cop from Oak Park. He said that the cruise got worse every year.
Cool to watch on TV though.

It's a shitty, commercialized, version of what used to be. It's more about the internet posters/"look at me"....than the real OG's and car guys.

It's a shitty, commercialized, version of what used to be. It's more about the internet posters/"look at me"....than the real OG's and car guys.
yeah, i went the second year in my FFR cobra and people wanted $50 to park for a few minutes and go talk to a friend i saw... never went back

Auto Transport Service
Back