• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 440 and 4 speed for 68 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

65R/T

Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for the correct engine and tranny for my GTX I rescued out of the weeds. I also want to know about the rear diff on this car what should it be a DANA 60 are they date coded as well.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you looking for the numbers matching engine and trans or just a date coded. For numbers matching you need to give vin # to match up to engine and trans. If you just want a correct date coded then you need to have production date of your car. I don't know about the rearends. Good luck on your search won't be easy either way.

I have a 68 GTX 440HP short block from a 68 GTX parts car i have here. PM me

I would love to make it numbers matching however I dont belive that I will get that lucky.
I would like to get it as close to correct as possible I havent ran the VIN to find out all the details yet. the man I got the car from said it was the copper color with a stripe package no console auto fold down middle seat in front .I am currently trying to locate the fender tag in the boxes of parts I got with the car.
the VIN is as followes
RS23J8G132xxx
If anyone can give me some guidance on what parts to gather I would be gratefull.
Thanks.

I'm looking for the correct engine and tranny for my GTX I rescued out of the weeds. I also want to know about the rear diff on this car what should it be a DANA 60 are they date coded as well.
any help is greatly appreciated.

If it is an original 4 speed car then yes, it should have a Dana rear end and the only ratio available factory installed in 1968 was a 3.54:1

It would have also been factory delivered with a Hemi 4 speed which has an 18 spline input shaft rather rhan the standard 4 speed which was 23 spline.

If you are expecting to try and locate the ORIGINAL engine for the car you will have to post the entire V.I.N.

Here is a link to decode your VIN and give general information, but I don't know if it will help you with the specific engine info you want, It may but i had it and thought it could help you in some way. There is also a fender tag decoder at this site.. Look in tools and reference section for what you may need...

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=84

Jay calling

No one picked up on the J in the vin code. Usually board surfers are quicker to pick on that.

No one picked up on the J in the vin code. Usually board surfers are quicker to pick on that.

Your right. When I posted my responses to this thread I was going by the OPs original post of looking for a 440 and trans and never notice the J in the V.I.N. even when I commented that he needed to post the entire V.I.N. to find the original engine and trans.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:
Do you understand that the J in the V.I.N. means your car is an original HEMI car????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back