• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB WTB - Pennsylvania 1969 period correct issued license plate numbers

Bleep Bleep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hello all. Not sure if the best place to post this request. Apologies if this forum is only actual cars.

I am trying to register my ‘69 RR as Vintage. I’m clear on DMV’s requirements EXCEPT if an available plate’s characters can only be secured from the actual plate owner who is/was displaying the plate, or is it possible to find a qualified/available plate through one of the 3rd party retail sellers?

Any PA b-body guys out there buying / sellers who have navigated the opaque process?

I live in Virginia but my Superbird was originally from Miami florida. Found a 1970 Florida plate on eBay. Also I found a set of Virginia plates when i went to register as an antique when I went to Carlisle

There ya go. I actually looked at this eBay seller yesterday. I must have not checked the right numbers. The one you linked and one of the next two in their inventory show available in the dmv system. Apparently not all of them but some are.

Thank you for pointing me back there!

To be authentic you want the sticker serial number to be all 0s.
s-l1200.jpg

s-l1200(3).jpg

1969 Pennsylvania License Plate PA Penna Ford Chevrolet Chevy Dodge 02B809 | eBay

You'll see tags for sale that doesn't and if you look real close you can see other stickers under the '69 sticker. One with all 0s was issued with that plate when new.

When using a PA tag on my '62 I had to take a picture of it and copy it full size and in color. Then they will do a search on it before letting you use it. It didn’t take that long to approve it. I registered it as an Antique. I can sell my '62 and the tag can be registered to the new owner.

Super cool and thank you! Before you do that though let me check one other path. Thank you sir!

View attachment 1739113
View attachment 1739112

1969 Pennsylvania License Plate PA Penna Ford Chevrolet Chevy Dodge 02B809 | eBay

You'll see tags for sale that doesn't and if you look real close you can see other stickers under the '69 sticker. One with all 0s was issued with that plate when new.

When using a PA tag on my '62 I had to take a picture of it and copy it full size and in color. Then they will do a search on it before letting you use it. It didn’t take that long to approve it. I registered it as an Antique. I can sell my '62 and the tag can be registered to the new owner.
Ok. Great info! Thanks

I bought a plate on eBay. Penn dot changed the rules. You have to prove where you got it. It took almost six months and 200 plus dollars,but it’s registered forever

I bought a plate on eBay. Penn dot changed the rules. You have to prove where you got it. It took almost six months and 200 plus dollars,but it’s registered forever
Whoa. Didn't know they got that detailed. Thanks.

Bought the plate almost 3 years ago. Fortunately I was able to print a receipt from my eBay account and it had a picture of the plate on it. The seller did not respond to my request for a receipt. I also had to supply a color photo of the plate. Your tag and title person will do everything,just be prepared to wait. I started the process last September,got the registration in march I believe

Same as when I did my plate two years ago, process outlined in another thread. It’s a matter of semantics. I had paperwork proving history that fast tracked the process. But if you don’t have such, the state does the leg work. Time consuming process, they have no incentive to expedite. I got my permanent registration in two weeks, but my situation is a fluke.

Last edited:
I thought I remembered someone referencing reproduction of authentic model year plate stickers here. Is that still available, and do you know if the recreation incorporates the 0’s referenced by @khryslerkid?

I thought I remembered someone referencing reproduction of authentic model year plate stickers here. Is that still available, and do you know if the recreation incorporates the 0’s referenced by @khryslerkid?

I do believe I saw some stickers on ebay years ago and they were nos. Some might have been reproduction.

The thing is with Pa tags there were several years using the same colors on the tags but each year had different sequence numbers and letters. So if you have OCD and want the correct tag for a certain year you need to know the sequence for that year. Rick's Plates was the only source that I found that documents the history.

Rick Kretschmer's License Plate Archives | Pennsylvania Passenger Cars 1906-1976

1965 PAchanged the plate and didn't use a sticker.I got lucky and found one that had no witness marks from a sticker.

My experience in PA hasn’t been this complicated.

- The tag needs to be available. You use the custom license plate tool on the DMV website. Plug the numbers in and if it shows available, buy the tag. No idea what happens if it’s already registered to someone else. I’ve transferred my own old tag between cars.
- Vehicle needs to antique title branded.
- Tag needs to be era correct or correct format for issued year. I do all my stuff at PennDot in Harrisburg. They take your picture to a book and match it up for what ever year your registering it on. The little sticker does not matter. I had a 68 tag with numbers under it on a 67.
- Tag can be transferred to a new owner with your consent. You need to give them a letter, I had an owner supply that from a car I bought. Their tag is still on the car.

Never had to prove where the tag came from and the sticker didn’t matter. Tag just needs to look like what was issued for the year you’re putting it in. Going to tag/title shops is probably a Sh*t show with stuff like this. Who knows what they ask you for. This is my experience with old tags about 5 times since 2012, all done at the counter in Harrisburg.

And yes, it’s over $200 to do the title and tag work to get an out of state car to antique branded with an old tag now. And that’s not paying a local tag/title place.

Try to zoom in, 68 sticker on the tag.

IMG_0857.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back