• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1.5in fan clutch to radiator spacing, too far?

zombezoo

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Did a 440 swap on my 73 satellite.
Have factory big block k frame with proper spool mounts
78 motorhome 440
Factory 78 motorhome pump (bigger pump blades when compared to gates replacement so I left it)
7 blade fan on unknown clutch, might be factory motorhome unit.
Mopar factory shroud. Had to drill new mount holes to fit my 3673054 radiator but it fits tight to fan, less than 1/2 space to blade

Face of clutch is 1.5in from radiator.

Engine will heat up to the top of the temp range at idle. Doesn't seem like clutch is slipping less as the temps heat up. Not sure if it's a bad clutch or I'm too far away from the radiator before I try to replace it. Perhaps I need a 1/2 in spacer?

Last edited:
Did a 440 swap on my 73 satellite.
Have factory big block k frame with proper spool mounts
78 motorhome 440
Factory 78 motorhome pump (bigger pump blades when compared to gates replacement so I left it)
7 blade fan on unknown clutch, might be factory motorhome unit.
Mopar factory shroud. Had to drill new mount holes to fit my 3673054 radiator but it fits tight to fan, less than 1/2 space to blade

Face of clutch is 1.5in from radiator.

Engine will heat up to the top of the temp range at idle. Doesn't seem like clutch is slipping less as the temps heat up. Not sure if it's a bad clutch or I'm too far away from the radiator before I try to replace it. Perhaps I need a 1/2 in spacer?
PIX PLEASE.... to get a better look at what you're describing. Is your water pump turning in the correct rotation??; likewise the fan clutch...did/does the vehicle have A/C ? radiator size?? Just asking a few specifics....
BOB RENTON

26in radiator, fresh recore.
Vehicle has AC, compressor not installed but condenser still in place
If I rev up the engine the fan spins faster and more air moves and temps drop so I believe pump is spinning in the correct direction.

I'm leaning towards bad fan clutch but wanted to confirm that a clutch 1.5in from the radiator is acceptable.

PXL_20241022_013638420.jpg

PXL_20241022_013629563.jpg

PXL_20241022_013554067.MP.jpg

I think I'm also going to get some black foam tape and seal around the shroud to the radiator. Can't hurt.

https://www.classicindustries.com/s...5Fk-_KSZ7HqLG2H25O2cchYiE3JNtO4dT9t4FZMqnyOl#
Radiator support to hood seal as well. Stops air from traveling up and over radiator instead of through it. As was said, location of fan blades in shroud looks about right. Google the test for checking the operation of the fan clutch. I don't think the distance from it to the radiator makes much difference as long as it's working correctly. Blade to shroud opening location is definitely important. Also, foam sealing shroud to radiator is a good idea...

Will check out the hood seal. I just got the car running in the last 24 hours, no throttle cable mounting solution yet so I don't know how it behaves while driving yet, but extended idling caused temps to creep up to upper range so I wanted to address that before getting it on the road
Thanks for the tips

Spacing looks fine. Don't get fan too close to radiator, the motor/transmission mounts can flex under hard breaking and the engine can move forward slightly.

Thermostat and hoses good?
I had a 440 that had a strange overheat issue. At lower speed driving it was fine, but would overheat at highway speeds, and once it overheated, the temps would not come down at any speed. It had head gasket problems letting compression into the cooling system that only showed up at the higher speeds, and then the cooling system would get air blocked.

Thermostat and hoses good?
I had a 440 that had a strange overheat issue. At lower speed driving it was fine, but would overheat at highway speeds, and once it overheated, the temps would not come down at any speed. It had head gasket problems letting compression into the cooling system that only showed up at the higher speeds, and then the cooling system would get air blocked.
New thermostat and hoses.

Ordered new fan clutch and foam tape for the shroud. Also ordered rubber hood seals. Will finish getting it together and get some miles on it and see if the changes work out the idle temps.

Thanks all

One of the inexpensive thermal heat guns, or temperature meter can help verify the tempatures at the thermostat and radiator in case the gauge reading is wrong.

New thermostat and hoses.

Ordered new fan clutch and foam tape for the shroud. Also ordered rubber hood seals. Will finish getting it together and get some miles on it and see if the changes work out the idle temps.

Thanks all
Hopefully, you've ordered MOPAR OEM TYPE FAN CLUTCH thru TONY'S PARTS, or similar..either the thermal drive type or the torque drive clutch # 2806079 AND NOT the Hayden style clutch....it's real cheese ball design.... Also consider using the Flowkooler pump assembly, whether you use AC or not...it's far superior to the OEM MOPAR pump...more gallons/min and at a higher velocity for best heat transfer characteristics AND 180° F thermostat....no 160°F B.S......just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back