• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 318 poly dual carb

guardian1fox2

Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
So I came across a dual carb intake for a poly 318, and thought about grabbing it for later use. Right now my 318 is stock with 2bl carb and runs great, 15 psi oil at hot idle and like 40 more or less while driving…doesn’t get hot or anything…so don’t wanna mess with something that’s running so well…I wanna enjoy it with my family for a while. (Speaking of which…he told me he changed oil and used 10-30w…but I always like to change oil when I first get a car…think I should use rotella 10-30 T5 for the zinc?)

BUT…I’ve been looking for when it IS time to rebuild…I’d like to keep the poly, and it would be neat to have a dual carb set up. What all would be necessary to utilize the dual carbs and what carbs would be good on it? I was told I could install it right now with 2 500 edlebrocks but I just don’t think that’s right…I’d think I’d need at least a different cam or something huh? Seems like it would be too much carbs for the stock engine as is. Also I figure linkages would be a pain..

IMG_0131.jpeg
IMG_0132.jpeg
Intake in question:

I'm NOT sure, but I'd bet that intake used the afb, with the small bolt pattern, and the edelbrock/Carter afb/avs use the larger bolt pattern.
That manifold is cool, but finding small footprint carbs, air cleaners, fuel lines and linkages might make it more work and money than it's worth.
On the other hand..... I'd probably pick up the manifold anyway.

I'm NOT sure, but I'd bet that intake used the afb, with the small bolt pattern, and the edelbrock/Carter afb/avs use the larger bolt pattern.
That manifold is cool, but finding small footprint carbs, air cleaners, fuel lines and linkages might make it more work and money than it's worth.
On the other hand..... I'd probably pick up the manifold anyway.
Yeah true. My neighbor said he may have a 4bbl poly intake laying around when he gets back from offshore he’s gonna look for it and give it to me if he hasn’t chunked it. Prolly just go that route but damn duals/deuces are cool lol

When restoring my ’63 I had a dual quad mani I got for 100 bucks. Wasn’t sure at the time if I was going to stay with the poly. Ended up keeping the poly after a bunch of performance upgrades and the dual would have been a nifty add. That’s it, MO, a nifty looking feature, but practicality kept getting in my head as I wanted a cruiser. Sold it a few years later for $300 to a guy who was going to use it. The eddy 4bbl I have is plenty good for me.

Side note: In ’63 the teen didn’t come stock with a 4bbl or dual exhaust. I think in ’62 that was still available. Years before rebuilding the motor though, added a 4bbl and duals and what a difference it made waking it up some. Motor was strong, running nice so held off some 10-years before rebuilding along with the rest of the car. As posted, parts can be pricy. At a meet years ago when I still had the mani on my shelf, a guy was selling those cool oval cleaners from the late-50’s in rough shape for $1,200! Nada. Again, this was years ago and maybe there are re-pops around today for a non-crazy price. Don’t know.

When restoring my ’63 I had a dual quad mani I got for 100 bucks. Wasn’t sure at the time if I was going to stay with the poly. Ended up keeping the poly after a bunch of performance upgrades and the dual would have been a nifty add. That’s it, MO, a nifty looking feature, but practicality kept getting in my head as I wanted a cruiser. Sold it a few years later for $300 to a guy who was going to use it. The eddy 4bbl I have is plenty good for me.

Side note: In ’63 the teen didn’t come stock with a 4bbl or dual exhaust. I think in ’62 that was still available. Years before rebuilding the motor though, added a 4bbl and duals and what a difference it made waking it up some. Motor was strong, running nice so held off some 10-years before rebuilding along with the rest of the car. As posted, parts can be pricy. At a meet years ago when I still had the mani on my shelf, a guy was selling those cool oval cleaners from the late-50’s in rough shape for $1,200! Nada. Again, this was years ago and maybe there are re-pops around today for a non-crazy price. Don’t know.
Yeah I think I’m in agreement with you after thinking about it and reading that. I want a cruiser, to enjoy with my two small kids and wife. I’m really hoping I can get a few years out of it before a rebuild is needed…I’m assuming it’s original to the car. If anything I wish I could get the rust bubbles above rear fender lip fixed first but I don’t think you can do just one panel…so it’ll have to wait till the whole car is ready (and my funds are ready lol) for a paint job.

Yeah I think I’m in agreement with you after thinking about it and reading that. I want a cruiser, to enjoy with my two small kids and wife. I’m really hoping I can get a few years out of it before a rebuild is needed…I’m assuming it’s original to the car. If anything I wish I could get the rust bubbles above rear fender lip fixed first but I don’t think you can do just one panel…so it’ll have to wait till the whole car is ready (and my funds are ready lol) for a paint job.
If I follow, the dual quad option ended a few years before ’62…late 50’s. Someone knowing more might chime in. Hopefully your neighbor has a 4bbl intake; don’t think those are easy finds anymore.

Lol, when I only occasionally open the secondary's it scares my wife, imagine if I still had my BB Cuda? We were much younger then. The lust for speed-thrill has waned…especially my better half. Not sure about me...as my initial thoughts on motor install I still wonder about here & there.

Good thing you’re not in the salt-belt. You can do some fixes to fend off the rust bubbles until you can do more restoring. My ride is only out during the warm months and sits in a heated garage for winter hibernation.

If I follow, the dual quad option ended a few years before ’62…late 50’s. Someone knowing more might chime in. Hopefully your neighbor has a 4bbl intake; don’t think those are easy finds anymore.

Lol, when I only occasionally open the secondary's it scares my wife, imagine if I still had my BB Cuda? We were much younger then. The lust for speed-thrill has waned…especially my better half. Not sure about me...as my initial thoughts on motor install I still wonder about here & there.

Good thing you’re not in the salt-belt. You can do some fixes to fend off the rust bubbles until you can do more restoring. My ride is only out during the warm months and sits in a heated garage for winter hibernation.
It’s the humidity down here that’s terrible. It was 103 today and like 70% humidity. It lives in my garage and our new vehicles stay in drive way, it’s an insulated garage door but Jesus it’s hot lol

It’s the humidity down here that’s terrible. It was 103 today and like 70% humidity. It lives in my garage and our new vehicles stay in drive way, it’s an insulated garage door but Jesus it’s hot lol
I’ll say been around the country and beyond for years, bit more for biz travel. And my daughter lived in Miami for a couple years, moving her there in late-June driving a moving truck there (before moving her back). Oly chit! Certain parts of the country at certain times of the year I want no part of as a resident. Used to dream of moving to a ‘warmer’ climate after retiring, not a dream now. Last several years here, hasn’t been terribly cold (yeah, that could return). We have the time of year being outside sucks and do indoor stuff like working on the car or house, etc. Seems to me it could be a trade-off on when being outside is tolerable and not. Some are loving the weather in January, others in June. As such, decided I’m just staying where I am…

As far as I know, or maybe think I know, by 1962 the only dual quad setups were on 383/413s. Dual quads are cool Looking, but really expensive eye wash. (imo). There was a need for them on performance cars in the fifties, cause the four barrels available were so small. By the early sixties, with 750cfm carbs available from holley and Carter, only the very top end performance cars got dual quads. (Hemis, maxwedge, super duty ponchos, thunderbolt ford's, z11 chevies)
Maybe that is where the mystique comes from. A modern intake (well, for a 318 poly, good luck. There is one, but it ain't cheap) with a modern carb will run at least as good as a dual quad, and be a bunch easier to tune, if for no other reason than parts availability.

As far as I know, or maybe think I know, by 1962 the only dual quad setups were on 383/413s. Dual quads are cool Looking, but really expensive eye wash. (imo). There was a need for them on performance cars in the fifties, cause the four barrels available were so small. By the early sixties, with 750cfm carbs available from holley and Carter, only the very top end performance cars got dual quads. (Hemis, maxwedge, super duty ponchos, thunderbolt ford's, z11 chevies)
Maybe that is where the mystique comes from. A modern intake (well, for a 318 poly, good luck. There is one, but it ain't cheap) with a modern carb will run at least as good as a dual quad, and be a bunch easier to tune, if for no other reason than parts availability.
Yeah this is what ima go for. If I can find the aluminum one I’d much rather it, but I haven’t found one yet.

Chrysler Power MADE an aluminum intake, a very nice, very tall one, for the 318 poly. The ss/x. I don't know if it's still available
(Also, according to a 2020 post here, a factory iron 318 poly manifold can be worth up to $500. If your neighbor has one, JUMP on it!)
If an iron one is worth $500, no wonder what they charge for the aluminum one!

Chrysler Power MADE an aluminum intake, a very nice, very tall one, for the 318 poly. The ss/x. I don't know if it's still available
(Also, according to a 2020 post here, a factory iron 318 poly manifold can be worth up to $500. If your neighbor has one, JUMP on it!)
If an iron one is worth $500, no wonder what they charge for the aluminum one!
Yeah I hope he didn’t chunk it. I think it came off his coronet, he has a 440 in it now.

Contact Bruce Toth at Chrysler Power and get current information, not possible info, or hearsay info. Find out what you can and cannot do from the people who make the stuff.
This might be your best bet..................

Chrysler power does'nt have a whole lot to market any longer.....

Poly Manifolds

Dual quads are cool but that's overboard for a stock 318. An old stock 4 barrel intake or an old Weiand single quad would be best. But, your choice.

poly 318 intake..jpg

Would be sweet having one a those, but wonder if it might be a problem under a stock hood?

Would be sweet having one a those, but wonder if it might be a problem under a stock hood?
They would be considered 'low rise". Probably not much taller than a stock intake. You can always use a drop base for the air cleaner.

Auto Transport Service
Back