• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 440 block

My68CoronetR/T

Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1968 440 block. Has "D 440" and "5 2" stamped on the pad infront of the intake, can't see any sign of "HP" stamping and it has this number stamped by the oil pan "PT4400P24700841"????? Can anyone tell me anything about this number? Thanks

20240624_155210.jpg

20240623_193935.jpg

built may 2....... prob out of a C body or maybe a warranty block?

in 1985 I bought my GTX with what I assumed was the original engine...... years later I discovered it was assembled in May 68 and non HP, my car was oct 67

intake, exhaust manifolds were all date correct, and nothing was out of place......... I assume it was a replacement engine, probably done at a dealership

PT4400P24700841 as you typed it

No expert but heres what I get:
PT = Trenton Plant
440 = 440 ci
0 = seems to be extra character when you typed in your question
P = build code for Fury models
2470 = 10,000 date code for build date Thursday, 2 May 1968
0841 - sequential number of this engine

I posted a 2 photos of that number (to fit the whole number) that zero is stamped in there. Did 1968 cars have the VIN on the block to make it numbers matching?

Your post - stamped by the oil pan "PT4400P24700841"?????

68s VIN were a hit and miss by plant and build date.

After Jan 1 of '68 they were SUPPOSED to stamp the vin on the block
From what I know the VIN would be stamped on top of the engine flange where the "Bellhousing or Auto Trans" would mount
it's near the oil sending port

Last edited:
I posted a 2 photos of that number (to fit the whole number) that zero is stamped in there. Did 1968 cars have the VIN on the block to make it numbers matching?

look near the oil sender where the block meets the bell, it may be stamped into the cast

PT = Trenton Plant
440 = 440 ci
Thanks. That jives nice with my block. It was Cast Jan 26th.
20240624_154303.jpg
20240624_154403.jpg

Don't see any numbers there?

PT = Trenton Plant
440 = 440 ci
Yes I did add.an extra zero, sorry about that

20240624_180004.jpg

Non hp engines were not stamped on the top rear of the block. They were however stamped by the starter on the big ear , they included where it was built, Julian date code, what number the engine was built for the day and what fuel it was to use.

By the looks of the photo you provided (thats exactly where it would be stamped) I don't think your block has a VIN stamped.

this ^^^^^^^^ I had an HP block and one like the OP posted side by side the HP block had the S and the non HP had the P

basically, if the above holds true across the board, a phony HP stamp can be discovered by having the P instead of the S

This is a 1968 block I picked up years ago to build for my R/T. I really don't care too much if it and "HP" or not but it will be built like one. The original engine that came out of my R/T is sitting about a half hour from me and he won't sell it. He has nothing to put it in or any plans to use it. I might go knock on his door one last time and if he still won't sell it I will build thise one.

This is a 1968 block I picked up years ago to build for my R/T. I really don't care too much if it and "HP" or not but it will be built like one. The original engine that came out of my R/T is sitting about a half hour from me and he won't sell it. He has nothing to put it in or any plans to use it. I might go knock on his door one last time and if he still won't sell it I will build thise one.

we're in the same boat........ back when I cared a little more, I hunted down a date correct non HP block..........I guess it was pretty much a waste of time

lol......I made the paint on the pad pretty thick, it's pretty hard to distinguish :D

Auto Transport Service
Back