• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 383 V8 Stock Engine Rebuild Cost?

bassmun

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have been looking around on here trying to get an idea of what it would cost to have a shop rebuild the 383 in my 1969 Sport Satellite? I'm just looking for a stock rebuild. If I can pull the motor myself, am I looking at $1,500, $2,000, $2,500, other? Just trying to figure out how much I need to get squirreled away.

Thanks!

Man it all depends on what a "stock rebuild" is. Boring, decking, rod reconditioning, rings, bearings, gaskets, head refurbishment all adds up. The MISC is the tricky part, when my buddies & I started getting motors re-done, we recognized the TIMES 2 THEORY. Figure everything you expect, THEN double it. Rings, bearings, gaskets & a little MICS, your upper number is close, a true rebuild will be more.

I built a fairly stock 360 last winter for about $4,500 in parts. I bought the block pre-machined with cam bearings installed so that was $450(I got a screaming deal.) The assembly and measuring was all done by yours truely. I figure right around $4,500-$5,000 depending on parts chosen. The heads I bought new for $1,500 but a set of heads plus a good full recondition on them would have taken me close to that anyway. Most parts are close in price between big block and small block so that should give you a rough idea where you will be at. That was no expense spared tho so new double roller timing chain etc..... Spend the money on the good stuff and you'll never regret it. And that was re using the small block distributor and such from the previous motor as that stuff was fairly new and looked very nice.

As said above to have a shop do it you will be looking at $4000 to $5000 when all said and done. Last set of heads that we had done by a local cylinder head shop stone stock the price was $1000.

As said above to have a shop do it you will be looking at $4000 to $5000 when all said and done. Last set of heads that we had done by a local cylinder head shop stone stock the price was $1000.

And that was with me doing all the assembly from start to finish too! :)

Man it all depends on what a "stock rebuild" is. Boring, decking, rod reconditioning, rings, bearings, gaskets, head refurbishment all adds up. The MISC is the tricky part, when my buddies & I started getting motors re-done, we recognized the TIMES 2 THEORY. Figure everything you expect, THEN double it. Rings, bearings, gaskets & a little MICS, your upper number is close, a true rebuild will be more.
Thanks
Thanks 66Satellite47!

I built a fairly stock 360 last winter for about $4,500 in parts. I bought the block pre-machined with cam bearings installed so that was $450(I got a screaming deal.) The assembly and measuring was all done by yours truely. I figure right around $4,500-$5,000 depending on parts chosen. The heads I bought new for $1,500 but a set of heads plus a good full recondition on them would have taken me close to that anyway. Most parts are close in price between big block and small block so that should give you a rough idea where you will be at. That was no expense spared tho so new double roller timing chain etc..... Spend the money on the good stuff and you'll never regret it. And that was re using the small block distributor and such from the previous motor as that stuff was fairly new and looked very nice.

Thanks 91r/t. Sounds like I need to keep saving for a while!

Thanks 91r/t. Sounds like I need to keep saving for a while!

I bought new crank, pistons, rods, and the whole caboodle. You can get off a bit cheaper if you keep the stock pieces and reuse stuff.

These guys are all giving you good, accurate advice. Is the 383 the original motor in the car? If yes, then definitely rebuild that one & follow the advice above. If it is NOT the original motor, you might consider seeing if you can find an aftermarket "factory stock" rebuilt engine, either 383 or 400, and swap them out. You can check your local parts stores or search online.

When I had my 440 done about 3 years ago the short block was 2400$. This included Bore with plates, decking, ballancing, resize rods and assemble. Parts included except cam kit. The 906s were 685$ with machining for 2.14 valves, guides,mag,surface and machine for spring seats. I supplied the valves and springs. The 440s are a wee bit cheaper because of piston selection. This was on a low mile 67 block so the crank and line bore were good.

Don't overdo it if the engine components are in good condition. All my crank needed was a polish. My bores had no ridge in the block, so it just got a hone and a lot of washing. New rings, lifters, bearings, timing set and gaskets all I needed. I had Racer Brown in Baltimore regrind my stock 4 bbl cam.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to contact the shops in your area to see what they would charge to rebuild your engine? You are getting replies from MN, NY, GA, NV, OR, IL and FA. I'm sure they really know what is going on in WV. Oh, never mind, what the heck do I know? I live in Podunk, ID.

Don't overdo it if the engine components are in good condition. All my crank needed was a polish. My bores had no ridge in the block, so it just got a hone and a lot of washing. New rings, lifters, bearings, timing set and gaskets all I needed. I had Racer Brown in Baltimore regrind my stock 4 bbl cam.
I do agree with Demonic, depending your application, driving needs & performance expectations, don't fall into the trap of "overdoing things". Prices on "rebuilding" vary widely. For high end expectations, ask who successful local racers use. For milder expectations, talk to the local shops that are more standard rebuilding & ask what things they pay attention to in their procedures and tolerance expectations. Good luck.

Prob not many will agree with me but if you just need low cost pretty much stock engine option.
Get a low mile 400 or 440 motor home engine. most of them can be had for under $1000 , cheaper if you look around. Its no Hp piece for sure but the one { 440} I grabbed is a nice running sound engine.
I reused parts off my 383 like the pickup tube & pan, my 383 headers , dip stick tube, water pump and housing, motor mounts ect. If you buy a cast crank engine that most MH are you will have to get the right balanced Tq. convertor if your car is a A/T.
From there you can just get it up and running or spend a few extra bucks on a intake and cam if you wish.
Everyone has a budget , some are big some are small, mine was small.
No regrets on my choice, 35K mile engine that runs good now, I had help from members on here working with the carb and cam & ignition. Its running just fine now.
My total cost was under $2,000 for everything done, up and running.
Plus you will still have your 383 if you ever wish to build it using a machine shop, new parts ect.

Just another idea or way to skin the low buck cat.

Prob not many will agree with me but if you just need low cost pretty much stock engine option.
Get a low mile 400 or 440 motor home engine. most of them can be had for under $1000 , cheaper if you look around. Its no Hp piece for sure but the one { 440} I grabbed is a nice running sound engine.
I reused parts off my 383 like the pickup tube & pan, my 383 headers , dip stick tube, water pump and housing, motor mounts ect. If you buy a cast crank engine that most MH are you will have to get the right balanced Tq. convertor if your car is a A/T.
From there you can just get it up and running or spend a few extra bucks on a intake and cam if you wish.
Everyone has a budget , some are big some are small, mine was small.
No regrets on my choice, 35K mile engine that runs good now, I had help from members on here working with the carb and cam & ignition. Its running just fine now.
My total cost was under $2,000 for everything done, up and running.
Plus you will still have your 383 if you ever wish to build it using a machine shop, new parts ect.

Just another idea or way to skin the low buck cat.
I agree if are looking for good running motor, options are OK. 440's are hard to find I think. A standard low mile(or a really good condition) 440 motor gives pretty good power. If your intentions are higher, like putting away most HP cars you see on the street, power needs are higher. All depends on what you're expectations are (drag racing is much higher).

Hey folks, I have been looking around on here trying to get an idea of what it would cost to have a shop rebuild the 383 in my 1969 Sport Satellite? I'm just looking for a stock rebuild. If I can pull the motor myself, am I looking at $1,500, $2,000, $2,500, other? Just trying to figure out how much I need to get squirreled away.

Thanks!

You have a stock running motor now, and want to rebuild it to stock. What is your reason for a rebuild?

You have a stock running motor now, and want to rebuild it to stock. What is your reason for a rebuild?

Well, the engine is not currently running. I think it's time for a rebuild because the engine has over 99,000 miles on it. It also leaks oil.

I do agree with Demonic, depending your application, driving needs & performance expectations, don't fall into the trap of "overdoing things". Prices on "rebuilding" vary widely. For high end expectations, ask who successful local racers use. For milder expectations, talk to the local shops that are more standard rebuilding & ask what things they pay attention to in their procedures and tolerance expectations. Good luck.

Thanks, that's some fine advice. I'm not looking for a race car. I'll ask around and see what some various local shops can tell me.

Auto Transport Service
Back