• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 ChargerFender Tag

Daytona Jim

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Just bought a 69 Charger. Vin 234780. The owner said he removed the fender tag "for safe keeping". But... He has not located the tag YET.
If I need to reproduce the tag, does anyone know of a 69 Charger with a Vin number close to mine? I think this is the only way I can come up with a build date near my cars original build date. Thanks much for any help. Jim

Original tag or no tag is better than a repop tag. Do you have any leverage to make the guy try harder to find the original tag? Hopefully there is money to be paid yet when the tag "shows up"?

Just bought a 69 Charger. Vin 234780. The owner said he removed the fender tag "for safe keeping". But... He has not located the tag YET.
If I need to reproduce the tag, does anyone know of a 69 Charger with a Vin number close to mine? I think this is the only way I can come up with a build date near my cars original build date. Thanks much for any help. Jim

What PP said is the best advice.
Without the tag or broadcast sheet you won’t be able to accurately reproduce one. You’ll be paying good money for guessing and a bad tag.

Asking about making a re-pop fender tag at FBBO is like asking a fire hydrant what it thinks about dogs. DON'T DO IT!

I have my fender tag off the car, but it is rusty and has a rust hole in 1 or 2 of the codes and I do not know what they are, but I am having one made without those 2 codes.

I have my fender tag off the car, but it is rusty and has a rust hole in 1 or 2 of the codes and I do not know what they are, but I am having one made without those 2 codes.
Why waste the money..........You probably have added a few items to the car that were not there when it came off the assembly line anyway.
Leave the rusty one on there or go without. IMO the only reason to be **** about a fender tag is if it is all numbers matching. The Vin tag is very important but who really gives a damn about a fender tag after you pull the 318 and add a 440, change the color from white to plum crazy, ditch the 14" wheels and hubcaps and install 15" rallyes. I left my fender tag in place but most of it is wrong now anyhow.

Asking about making a re-pop fender tag at FBBO is like asking a fire hydrant what it thinks about dogs. DON'T DO IT!

Interesting, did not know that was the consensus. Even with a broadcast sheet this is looked down upon?

The tag is missing on my 69. I thought as a novelty having one made to match it's current configuration. Would obviously not be original as the car has a hemi but isn't a j code vin.

Now I'm thinking just omit it.

Interesting, did not know that was the consensus. Even with a broadcast sheet this is looked down upon?

The tag is missing on my 69. I thought as a novelty having one made to match it's current configuration. Would obviously not be original as the car has a hemi but isn't a j code vin.

You may be honest but the next owner may not. Someone could get screwed down the line.

What is looked down upon is the fraud that happens.
Most tag makers don’t really care about accuracy.
Some have questionable ethics and procedures.
Owners don’t want to take the time to do their own homework and expect tag makers to know what’s accurate and what isn’t. They don’t.
So, tags with wrong colors, wrong interiors, wrong drive trains and wrong options get put on a tag. Fraudulent tags are purposely made to deceive buyers.
Owners spend money, often willingly, on a part for their car they know is bad and accept it. I can’t imagine that concept being applied to any other part they would purchase for their car.
Well meaning owners that had a bad tag made die or sell a car leaving future buyers believing the tag is accurate as to how the car was made. Future buyers are deceived by a bad tag. They are angry when they find out the car they saved for is improperly represented.

Owners rationalize having one made because the hobby tells us the tag is important and they don’t want to feel left out. The tag is important, if it’s original or properly remade.

You can remake a proper tag from a broadcast sheet for most years and plants. You can’t do it for every year and plant.

I bought a car with a bad tag. I was lucky. The tag maker was incompetent, not a crook. After researching and viewing, likely, thousands upon thousands of tags since, I hope I can prevent someone from doing the same.

Last edited:
Listen, I'm not passing judgment nor stating the majority opinion. I speak for no one but myself. All I am saying is that whenever the subject comes up there's usually a dust-up here.

In my opinion. Which is comes from me as a person with the least amount of experience as some of these great people who have already posted. Is. That the build sheet is better than the tag any day. Most often the tag is missing stuff the sheet has anyways. I maybe wrong about that. But on my RR. I would trade the rotten tag for a decent build sheet for my car any day. But at the end of the day she ain't perfect. Ain't never going to be perfect. So. Don't matter. Going to build her up and beat on it like it owes me money. Lol.

Its a 69 so hopefully your trunk gutter and core support partial vins are correct. If not then the repop fender tag looks even more suspect.....

Not a hemi car or rt by chance?

Now if the vin happened to be

XS29J234780 or XS29L234780 and the partial vins didnt match then that might be suspect.

If not then in todays current market no fender tag wont hurt value as much in my opinion

I completely understand that honesty has always been an "issue" in the car business / hobby. So let me put out this left field idea. Research the cars info and options as accurately as possible, have a fender tag made but have the word "Reproduction" stamped on the tag.

Not trying to add to the "dust up" just interested in opinions.

Nice too see people are answering your questions.....better than the no reply from you ,to my PM from back in December.
Good luck with your new purchase,you have a great day!

Auto Transport Service
Back