• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN and Fender Tag dont match up, Do you SUE or what?

Funny you should ask... I was thinking the same thing... As is often the case the poster doesn't get the response they were hoping for and they disappear....
Or maybe they learned what they do not want to legally know and hope the entire matter and paper trail disappears, so no reason to prolong it with any response on the OP's part.

Is the O/P still with us ?
1725288848189.png

When I bought Max the second owner told me it was a real car because he had been a student of the original owner and bought it during the original owner’s divorce. The first time I opened the hood I knew it was a real car. I had early B-Bodies and I knew what they looked like and Max didn’t look like that! One night the local Max Wedge expert came to look at the car. He asked me why I thought it was real and I pointed out everything that was different. While it’s obvious that all the differences are factory he pointed to the option number on the data plate and the build sheet.

Then not quite 15 years later he died. Besides losing a friend there was the oh crap moment when I realized that I couldn’t prove the car was real. I sent my money and my proof of ownership to Chrysler Historical and got back the copy of the IBM card and the option number translation. They never cashed my check! Then I sent money to Galen Govier, it took him a while, but I eventually heard from him. I think my car is # 18 on his list of Sport Fury Maxes. Then I heard about Darrell Davis and e-mailed him and got his source book. Of course Max is there.

All that said, in the Seventies I was heavily involved with Mercedes. Yes, I was doing Mopars and Mercedes before it was even a glint in their eye! I was doing the wrong Jap car though, I was doing Toyotas instead of Mitses. Anyway, I was mostly doing the Fifties Mercedes sedans, what are now referred to as Pontons, German for Pontoon! I bought one car with what I was told was a transferable registration. In PA a Notary does your paperwork. The Notary told me I needed an actual title so I was screwed. Seems he was wrong but I didn’t find out until much later. Mercedes VIN plates of the time were held on by Phillips screws so swapping things was not a problem and that’s what I did with a VIN plate from a totally different model! That was fifty years ago and I hope the statute of limitations has run out! I had swapped that particular car for a 190SL that had been firebombed! Yeah, the guy I got the car from was that kind of guy! I didn’t take possession of the car in time and it got towed. Somebody I later worked for bought the car from the junkyard and restored it. But, I had the VIN tag. A couple of years ago I talked to the guy about the car and he said he didn’t remember the car. Yeah, sure!

So the vin would t be for a Super Bird anyways so how could he register it. It’s a totally different car. Just think of all the dusters that had the tail panel and front end changed to make it into a demon. That’s Plymouth to Dodge. Kim

Gents, I am going on with the build. The car is on the rotisserie and the sand blaster is coming tomorrow. The car will be covered in epoxy primer but the weekend. I will post pictures soon.

here's the part I have never gotten............ body stampings of "partial" VINs must be in tact; but engines and trannies with FULL VINs are swapped around and no one has ever cared
What you state only matters
when that vin is reported as
stolen. The car with all
origonal vins matching
could have been targeted by
chop shops, and said parts
distributed far and wide.
If I were the OP, I would list
ALL vin numbers on the car
and visit his insurance
carrier to have a NCIC check
done.
If nothing found, build away!
If they do find something,
expect to have the sheriff
knocking on your door.
DMV's are getting serious
about this stuff and are
looking for anything to
keep your ICE build off the
road.

So the vin would t be for a Super Bird anyways so how could he register it. It’s a totally different car. Just think of all the dusters that had the tail panel and front end changed to make it into a demon. That’s Plymouth to Dodge. Kim
He`s just making it LOOK like a Superbird, i.e. clone, so it is just modifications which don`t affect how it is registered, that is still with the dash vin number and whatever it decodes to.

Engine and transmission do not make the car.
The are "bolt in" items.
Body and frame (unibody) make the car.

A unibody with an untampered RM21 VIN is a Roadrunner, even if the engine stamping doesn't match.
...even if it has a slant six in it.

Same here. I remember one guy that had a pretty regular business going in the early 70s buying wrecked Japanese cars and cutting them right across the middle to match a good front half with a good rear half, and then repainting it and selling it.
Which while being in that business, had to document the
changes of two "salvage" vehicles, and the finished
rebuilt car was titled as "salvage" using the vin plate
number. Not the vin stamped anywhere else.
The reason for the "salvage" title is typically due
to an insurance company's settlements on
wrecked or stolen vehicles being placed back on
the road.
Most don't mind a vehicle titled as such if the
work to make the required repairs are sound.
The purist searching for a numbers matching
holy grail would avoid a "salvage" titled car.
If one is buying a car with
multiple vins discovered,
(even those stamped on
engines and transmissions)
it's in their best intrest to
run those numbers thru
your insurance company,
and your state police.
Speaking from experience.

There are several reasons to buy a car and I'm not even going to get into them. I will say, if you're not going to take it with you after you pass over to the other side, fix it, paint it, wash it and for God sakes, it's a f**king car, drive it........... My cars a Frankenstein and no one has more fun with a car than I do.

I only have a few things that are original, the first is a very sentimental 2 dollar bill and the other is my wife. Both, I'm going to the grave with. The car, I'm giving it away and I know they'll do what I do with it......... Let The Horses Run........ This whole conversation was one big circle jerk.

Auto Transport Service
Back